ShopKo Stores Interview Questions

Updated Aug 19, 2015

2.3

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, NE

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at ShopKo Stores (Bellevue, NE) in August 2015.

Interview

It was pretty easy considering I'm shy, it was only about 5-10 minutes. I got a call back a few days later and now i have an orientation on Tuesday.

Interview Questions

• What makes good costumer service? Describe yourself. What are your hobbies? Why do you want to work here?   Answer Question

Shopko Teammate Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at ShopKo Stores.

Interview

I submitted my application online through there career website. 5 days afterwards, I received a phone call from the manager at the town I applied to. The manager asked if I was interested in interviewing for the Optical Department. I called the manager back and scheduled an interview. The manager was very nice. The manager spoke about the position that was open (what the position entails, availability, wage) and afterwards asked me interview questions. Interview questions was prepared and on a clipboard. It was a very easy interview considering I did not have any work experience. Afterwards, I was asked if I had any questions, then the manager informed me to plan on receiving a phone call within a week. Unfortunately, I did not get the job even though the manager said the position does not require experience. As expected, the manager called me and said they hired someone with experience.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want this job? Where do you see yourself 5 years from now? What is your biggest strength and your biggest weakness? Give a time when you received excellent customer service or you gave excellent customer service. When you are required to get multiple tasks done and you're short on time, how would you handle this type of situation? Why do you think I should hire you? What is your open availability?   Answer Question

Cashier Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at ShopKo Stores.

Interview

First interview. I applied for cashier. I was quite but the interviewer walked me through it and was very nice! The whole interview lasted about ten minutes. She hired me on the spot and I worked there for three years before leaving for another job.

Interview Questions

• Example of a time you were responsible for handling money? Are you comfortable with asking customers if they would be interested in a protection plan for certain products?   Answer Question

Executive Merchant Trainee Interview

Anonymous Employee in Green Bay, WI

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at ShopKo Stores (Green Bay, WI) in March 2015.

Interview

I applied online for another position, a couple days later i was contacted for a phone interview. The recruiter mentioned the EMT program since I was a recent college grad. I was defiantly interested in the program. To me the phone interview was ok, I was just thrown off to be interviewing for another position. About a week later I was contacted again to come the headquarters in Green Bay, WI, for a all day interview. They paid for my hotel and gas which I thought was nice. Now when I got to Green Bay it was another story. You will NOT like Green Bay if you come from a big city. I live in a suburb outside a major city (30-40 min away). So suburb life and city life i totally get. But Green Bay is super rural! After settling in the hotel, I drove around to see what there was to offer... there was nothing. You would think since it was the home of the Packers it would be a happening place, its not. If you are ready to settle down this could be the place for you. The mall in Green Bay sucked and the next mall was about a 40 min drive away (that mall wasn't that great either). I also really did not see much diversity around town either. On interview day there was about 18 candidates (2 guys and the wrest girls). This group really depends on how many apply. I was shocked to see so many people, I was thinking there would be like 6-10. First was a tour of the Shopko store. I found out that I wasn't the only one who never heard of Shopko before. I really didn't see the point of showing all the candidates around because its not like we all were going to make the program. But I guess they use it as a way to see how we interact. I suggest in this tour you ask questions, stay in front and be engaged in the conversation. After you go back to headquarters and the interviews start. You get to interview with the 3 buyers/category managers/inventory analyst. And they ask you the same questions for each interview. So imagine being asked the same question 3 times. I suggest you try to click with who you interview with. After all the interviews are done you get lunch and past people in the program come in and you have a Q & A (they say they are done interviewing, but i could tell they were watching who was speaking). At one point the question of how do you like Green Bay came up, and you can tell they were being nice about how they really feel. In a nice way they pretty much said there was nothing to do there. After the vp of merchandising talked to us and then it was done. I was so drained and ready to leave. I personally would have rather went through the 3 interviews and be done. No tour, no Q & A, no speaker, I found those a waste of time. Save that for the first day of the actual program! At the end of the whole thing I really didn't care if they offered me the position or not. Building seemed old fashioned, I didn't care for living in the area. I see the position as a stepping stone, work there a year or 2 and move on to something better. They said they would get back to everyone by the end of the week, and that was a couple weeks ago.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to be in the EMT program? What is the difference between Shopko and other department stores?   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at ShopKo Stores in February 2015.

Interview

I applied online and then a few days later got a phone call, I then had an interview scheduled that Friday,. They were straightforward and to the point. I also waited for twenty minutes before either of the managers arrived to interview me. It was an average interview, I think my selling point was my eagerness to work in the green house wherein no other employees did.

Interview Questions

• We've heard a lot about your positive, what are some of the negative?   Answer Question

Interview

I had a phone interview on a Thursday morning. The recruiter asked questions about my previous work experience; nothing personal was asked. He seemed very disinterested with what I was saying. Toward the end of the interview I asked if there was anything on my resume that he questioned or that made me unqualified for the job and he said no everything looks great and I was qualified for the position. I sent a thank you email a week later since I hadn't heard from them and I got a template reply that stated I was not chosen for the position because I was not qualified(?). Very strange process and outcome.

Analyst Interview

Interview

I went through 3 interviews, the last of which lasted 3 hours. There were long lulls in between communications, but company was going through an acquisition at the time. About 4 months total between first interview and first day on the job.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Spokane, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at ShopKo Stores (Spokane, WA) in January 2015.

Interview

Online survey, then called for an in store interview and drug test. Very easy questions, kept to the basics and standard interview questions - tell us about yourself, where do you see yourself in five years, what would you do if you saw a co-worker stealing. Good for high school or college students with little or no experience.

Cashier Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at ShopKo Stores.

Interview

Barely interviewed me and just asked me about availability and previous experience. When I said i had none they told me that was okay. The only question that was hard at all was "do you have any questions for me?" Because that's a trick question to ask if you were listening and actually care about the job. Said that they'd call me back the end of the week for orientation in the beginning of the next week but still haven't gotten a call. Called back once and the hiring manager was gone, and today I talked to her and she said she'd call me back in half an hour 2 hours ago.

Cashier Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at ShopKo Stores in November 2014.

Interview

I arrived 15 minutes early and waited about 20 minutes. I was interviewed by one person. He asked me to tell him a little about myself and past job experience. Asked me to tell him what I think good customer experience looked like. Left the the room, came back in. Told me I Interviewed great. Asked about my expected salary. Made an offer. I accepted. Said it may take a few days for my background check to come back. it came back the next day. I now have orientation.

Interview Questions

• Name a difficult position you were put in at work and how y out handled it.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I asked to start at 8.25 an hour. They said I will be getting 8.25 - 9.00/hr