Shopify Interview Questions

Updated Jul 23, 2015

2.5

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Shopify in May 2015.

Interview

Very easy but strange interview questions. The interviewer started off saying that Shopify is known for their more "personal" process. In this case personal is just code word for invasive. The recruiter wanted to know where I was born and raised, how I was seen by my peers growing up, what kind of job my parents had, etc.

CS Guru (Remote) Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Shopify in April 2015.

Interview

The process took a little over a week. I had a conversation about my experience with a recruiter on Skype, which was very casual. He was very straightforward about the steps involved in the interview process, which I appreciated. The next step was "The Gautlet", which is a 3-hour simulation that gives you the opportunity to practice being a Guru by answering real customer questions. This really allows you to see if the job would be a good fit for you. The next day, I spoke to a hiring manager who asked me a few basic questions about myself and gave me the opportunity to ask my questions about the role.

Interview Questions

• I was essentially just asked to walk the recruiter through my resume.   Answer Question

Big Data Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Shopify in October 2014.

Interview

First Interview was with HR.The second one was with the manager and it was about the Map Reduce. The third interview was with the person who has done some work in Machine Learning and it was about the clustering algorithms and whether I have worked on that or not. The entire interview process was focused on my work experience.The people I spoke to were very nice. I was told that my canadian visa shall be processed but I wasn't prepared to got to Cannada.I will definitely recommend this company

Interview Questions

• What was my experience working on big data technologies   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Shopify (Toronto, ON (Canada)).

Interview

The process was fast and lots of fun. First interview was through skype with a member of the talent acquisition team, questions were about life and high school and family in general, purely character interview. Second was with a developer, also through skype, went through some of my open source projects and gave me some TDD tips, but didn't go deep. Last interview was also a skype one, this time with a lead developer and we discussed my projects in more depth, talked about scalability, database optimization, TDD....Overall interviews were like conversations between two developers and they want to see how comfortable you are with the most recent technologies and techniques out there.

Interview Questions

• Your project went viral and you got a lot of users, what's the problem now and how can you manage it?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Shopify.

Interview

It was very chill and the interviewer explained they wouldn't do the normal procedure like other companies typically do such as asking what your strengths and weaknesses are, etc. Advice would be just to be yourself. It is just like you are chatting with your friend over Skype.

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Shopify (Ottawa, ON (Canada)) in June 2015.

Interview

The entire process is very conversational with technical questions being tailored towards your prior experiences. My process started with a Skype call with a recruiter, followed by two more sessions with a developer and a team lead respectively. The recruiter interview is mostly there to screen out fake personas/people that would simply not be a cultural fit. You are not going to get asked the stereotypical algorithmic design questions that are adored by most tech companies; although it is implied that you know them! Make sure you demonstrate your passion for coding and why you got into it in the first place. The fact that the company is taking so much time making sure potential hires are as culturally fit as they are technically was a great motivator for me! The Skype interviews with the developers will likely be about something you want to talk about. So be sure you are ready to go into “significant" detail in whatever it is you choose. I highly recommend you put your projects on GitHub so they can see your code! I got asked questions based upon overall design decisions I made (e.g. what design patterns did you find helpful? how come you didn't do this? Is this method thread safe? etc.) and in terms of how my application would scale with a large number of users (does it work with 10 users? how about 10 million?). Again, the questions they ask you are going to be specifically related to your resume or whatever project you choose to talk about. Definitely consider talking about scalability, at least they loved it when I did. If you made it this far, and you are out of town, you will most likely be invited for an onsite visit to their amazing office in Ottawa, Ontario. It is very Google like. You can tell they have invested serious amounts of cash in establishing their culture. Having interviewed at Google, I could tell they took their culture very seriously. To the say the least, I was mesmerized. It is roughly a 6 hour day of interviews with your potential manager and coworkers and a pair programming session somewhere in between; did I mention you get to eat their lunch, which was absolutely delicious! Interviews get more technical with emphasis on design decisions you would make to solve certain problems. Overall very fun! The pair programming session was very cool; you work alongside another developer to solve some random problem he chooses. Remember, there is no correct answer. Thing big. Be clear. Let your creativity fuel your conversations and most importantly BE YOURSELF.

Interview Questions

• There was a Pair Programming session in which you work with another developer to solve some problem. Be prepared to do a bit of coding!   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Shopify.

Interview

Interviewers ask very invasive questions about your personal life that have nothing to do with the job you are applying for. I answered all questions honestly, but was very turned off by the unprofessionalism of this company. I understand their tactic of getting people to speak truthfully to gauge culture fit, but it is outright illegal to ask invasive questions that do not relate to a job.

Interview Questions

• Tell me your life story I didn't look at your CV, tell me about yourself What do your parents do? When did you graduate? (probes until they can find out your age) Are you single? Would you be able to relocate? What did you like about living abroad?   Answer Question

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Shopify (Toronto, ON (Canada)).

Interview

Mike sent me an email set up a 15 minute phone call subject for the email was Shopify. During the call he was very relaxed, welcoming and its wasnt you typical interview more than it was a regular call to a friend. I didn't get the job offer but, my advice would be just relax with the interview and enjoy it. There are not many other companies that have a great interview process like this.

Director, Total Rewards Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Shopify (Ottawa, ON (Canada)) in May 2015.

Interview

Phone interview with recruiter, several in person interviews ranging from ICs to Executives. After meeting with a the hiring VP on the phone (which went really well). We then planned for a half day in the office where i had lunch with the team members followed by 5 meetings with various leaders and key people. It was a great way to get various perspectives of working at Shopify.

Interview Questions

• The interview style was conversational   1 Answer

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Shopify.

Interview

I had applied to Shopify while under-qualified. The post said 2-5 years experience and I had very little, but I applied anyway because they stated potential is also a factor when hiring. I wasn't expecting to, but I got an email inviting me to meet them 2 weeks after I had initially applied. I went into the interview (which they aptly call a meeting) and was immediately told it would not be a typical interview. They gave me a tour of the facilities (holy crap, dat cafeteria) and we found a room and just chatted. Both interviewers present were both SUPER nice and genial, they just wanted to get to know me and how I thought about things it seemed. They asked me some work related questions, but they came up very naturally. They mostly asked questions about where I grew up, my life story, etc. When I asked them about the position, it was pretty clear I wasn't qualified. They said I'd hear back from them next week to see if I'd move forward with the interview process. They called back as promised, and I was told very kindly that they were going to move forward with someone else and encouraged me to apply to another job if it suited me. Overall, I'd say it was a very pleasant experience considering I wasn't really qualified for the job. They are true to their word that they give people with potential a chance and from what I saw they just want to hire the best. My advice to anyone interviewing for a position similar to this one is to just be yourself. They want to see who you are authentically and aren't interested in any rehearsed/robotic information. I would encourage anyone passionate enough about the position to apply regardless of qualification.