Shopify Interview Questions

Updated Jun 13, 2015

2.4

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Shopify in May 2015.

Interview

Very easy but strange interview questions. The interviewer started off saying that Shopify is known for their more "personal" process. In this case personal is just code word for invasive. The recruiter wanted to know where I was born and raised, how I was seen by my peers growing up, what kind of job my parents had, etc.

CS Guru (Remote) Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Shopify in April 2015.

Interview

The process took a little over a week. I had a conversation about my experience with a recruiter on Skype, which was very casual. He was very straightforward about the steps involved in the interview process, which I appreciated. The next step was "The Gautlet", which is a 3-hour simulation that gives you the opportunity to practice being a Guru by answering real customer questions. This really allows you to see if the job would be a good fit for you. The next day, I spoke to a hiring manager who asked me a few basic questions about myself and gave me the opportunity to ask my questions about the role.

Interview Questions

• I was essentially just asked to walk the recruiter through my resume.   Answer Question

Big Data Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Shopify in October 2014.

Interview

First Interview was with HR.The second one was with the manager and it was about the Map Reduce. The third interview was with the person who has done some work in Machine Learning and it was about the clustering algorithms and whether I have worked on that or not. The entire interview process was focused on my work experience.The people I spoke to were very nice.
    I was told that my canadian visa shall be processed but I wasn't prepared to got to Cannada.I will definitely recommend this company

Interview Questions

• What was my experience working on big data technologies   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Shopify (Toronto, ON (Canada)).

Interview

The process was fast and lots of fun. First interview was through skype with a member of the talent acquisition team, questions were about life and high school and family in general, purely character interview. Second was with a developer, also through skype, went through some of my open source projects and gave me some TDD tips, but didn't go deep. Last interview was also a skype one, this time with a lead developer and we discussed my projects in more depth, talked about scalability, database optimization, TDD....Overall interviews were like conversations between two developers and they want to see how comfortable you are with the most recent technologies and techniques out there.

Interview Questions

• Your project went viral and you got a lot of users, what's the problem now and how can you manage it?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Shopify.

Interview

It was very chill and the interviewer explained they wouldn't do the normal procedure like other companies typically do such as asking what your strengths and weaknesses are, etc. Advice would be just to be yourself. It is just like you are chatting with your friend over Skype.

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Shopify.

Interview

Interviewers ask very invasive questions about your personal life that have nothing to do with the job you are applying for. I answered all questions honestly, but was very turned off by the unprofessionalism of this company. I understand their tactic of getting people to speak truthfully to gauge culture fit, but it is outright illegal to ask invasive questions that do not relate to a job.

Interview Questions

• Tell me your life story
      I didn't look at your CV, tell me about yourself
      What do your parents do?
      When did you graduate? (probes until they can find out your age)
      Are you single? Would you be able to relocate?
      What did you like about living abroad?

Answer Question

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Shopify (Toronto, ON (Canada)).

Interview

Mike sent me an email set up a 15 minute phone call subject for the email was Shopify. During the call he was very relaxed, welcoming and its wasnt you typical interview more than it was a regular call to a friend. I didn't get the job offer but, my advice would be just relax with the interview and enjoy it. There are not many other companies that have a great interview process like this.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Shopify.

Interview

I had applied to Shopify while under-qualified. The post said 2-5 years experience and I had very little, but I applied anyway because they stated potential is also a factor when hiring. I wasn't expecting to, but I got an email inviting me to meet them 2 weeks after I had initially applied.

I went into the interview (which they aptly call a meeting) and was immediately told it would not be a typical interview. They gave me a tour of the facilities (holy crap, dat cafeteria) and we found a room and just chatted. Both interviewers present were both SUPER nice and genial, they just wanted to get to know me and how I thought about things it seemed. They asked me some work related questions, but they came up very naturally. They mostly asked questions about where I grew up, my life story, etc. When I asked them about the position, it was pretty clear I wasn't qualified. They said I'd hear back from them next week to see if I'd move forward with the interview process.

They called back as promised, and I was told very kindly that they were going to move forward with someone else and encouraged me to apply to another job if it suited me.

Overall, I'd say it was a very pleasant experience considering I wasn't really qualified for the job. They are true to their word that they give people with potential a chance and from what I saw they just want to hire the best.

My advice to anyone interviewing for a position similar to this one is to just be yourself. They want to see who you are authentically and aren't interested in any rehearsed/robotic information. I would encourage anyone passionate enough about the position to apply regardless of qualification.

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Shopify (Ottawa, ON (Canada)) in April 2015.

Interview

On the screening phone call we discussed my background and what I would like to do in Shopify. After that I was invited for an interview onsite to discuss my open source projects. It was a weird experience of chatting with an HR who asked me personal questions about my school years, sports and lifestyle for most of the hour. We briefly looked at the code but she was more interested in psychological profiling than assessing the actual skills.

The interview might been a hint of the extent to which the corporate culture intrudes into personal life.

Data Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Shopify (Ottawa, ON (Canada)) in April 2015.

Interview

Step1: Applied online and got a call in the following week
    Step2: Telephonic interview. Easy and went for 19 minutes. Questions regarding skill and knowledge and how much in know. Asked about any related experience. Why shopify and any challenges faced regarding the related interviews.
    Step3: HR round. Questions about life story. background, education, status. easy and friendly. After this I got rejected. Called back to clearify why this happened and i got satisfactory answer.
    This would have happened next. Step4: Interview with development team

I was less experienced and thats why I could not get thu. Shopify needs people whose skill matches with requirement and have some relative experience. Your experience counts here. You show your work and you have more chances to get in.

I like the way shopify recruits people. They want the best. However this can be disappointing for entry level people.