Shopzilla

Relevance Date Difficulty

Ad Ops Manager Interview

Ad Ops Manager
Santa Monica, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Shopzilla in May 2013.

Interview Details – Submitted my application online and was contacted by a member of the ad ops team for a phone interview. After having a great phone conversation, I was invited for an on-site interview to meet with three members of the ad ops team individually. Met with you each member for about 30 minutes. Questions included: why work in e-commerce industry, what do you know about Shopzilla, what do you know about the ad ops space. At the end, I had a 10 minute recap with the head recruiter.

I emailed them about 2 weeks later to check on my progress and was told I did not receive an offer.

Interview Question – What do you know about campaign management?   Answer Question

Project Manager Interview

Project Manager
Santa Monica, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Shopzilla in September 2010.

Interview Details – The first interview was a phone interview with a senior project manager. The questions asked were pretty basic interview questions. "Whats your management style?" "How do you approach a challenging project/task?". Nothing too difficult but questions that were designed to get to know you.

The second interviews were on site interviews to meet with people. That's where things went south. Everyone I met with had awful attitudes. One person had complained about the company and asked me if I was ready to work constantly and if I would be "committed to the job".

Another person asked me "why should we hire you?" even though I was recruited by them. What's worse is another interviewer laughed and rolled her eyes at me when I told her I read "The Art of the Deal" by Donald Trump.

Interview Question – Why should we hire you?   View Answer

Product Operations Manager, Bizrate Insights Interview

Product Operations Manager, Bizrate Insights
Santa Monica, CA

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Shopzilla.

Interview Details – Applied directly to the company via a job board, heard back from a recruiter two weeks later, had one intro call with recruiter that reviewed my resume and the role. He then scheduled a call with my would-be manager that week.

The on-site interview was among the worst interviewing experiences I've ever had....
- The first interviewer was the group manager. She was extremely cold and seemed generally unhappy with life. Never once did she try to sell the role or the company.
- Next came two sales women who asked fluff questions like "how do you deal with conflict". Again, no joy.
- Third was a surprise test on a laptop, rules of test: you have 45 minutes, we won't tell you how many questions, you can google whatever you want but we don't suggest it. Despite the fact that I told them I'm not a programmer and the role didn't require such skills, about 25% of the questions consisted of coding questions.
- Fourth came someone who I thought would be a peer, only later to find out that she would be my reportee, which explained why she was so nice at the time.
- Last came the original woman I phone-interviewed with, who was probably the most mellow.

It's now been two weeks and the recruiter hasn't even bothered to tell me I've been dinged. Super unprofessional.

Overall I'd say don't waste your time.

Interview Question – Do you think Facebook will exist in the future?   View Answer

Non-engineering Position Interview

Non-engineering Position
Santa Monica, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Shopzilla in June 2012.

Interview Details – Easy and informal interview style. Arrived on time for my 4:00 PM interview and ended up talking to my interviewer until well after 6:00 PM. The interview covered all of the necessary items but in a very warm, conversational style. Interviewer was very open about the role and scope.

Interview Question – What would you do in your first 90 days here?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. Pay offered was what I was looking for and it's hard to find fault with any of the benefits and perks.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Senior Software Engineer
Los Angeles, CA

I applied online and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Shopzilla in May 2012.

Interview Details – Not so great. HR does not follow up at all

Interview Question – Are you ready to work 24X7   View Answer

Reason for Declining – Don't want to ruin my life

Affiliate Account Coordinator Interview

Affiliate Account Coordinator
Los Angeles, CA

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Shopzilla in August 2009.

Interview Details – quick phone interview with someone from hr - no technical questions were asked
then
interview with members on team and hr
then
interview with above and director of department, each individual interview didn't last more than a half hour

Interview Question – dont remember, interview wasn't that challenging. they really interviewed for fit.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – i didn't try negotiating. i would recommend negotiating for other people.

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer
Los Angeles, CA

The process took a day - interviewed at Shopzilla in April 2010.

Interview Details – write your implementation of Hashtable

Interview Question – Write your own implementation of hashtable   Answer Question

Worked for Shopzilla? Contribute to the Community!