Shusaku Yamamoto

Updated Nov 23, 2014
Updated Nov 23, 2014

3.4

Technology Specialist Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Shusaku Yamamoto.

After receiving initial acknowledgement from the company I received 3 written test (comparison of key points between two patent forms), a skype interview . At this point I had to confirm my continued interest after receiving wage details. Another round of testing and a final telephone interview which included the owner himself was conducted and they made their final decision.

Interview Questions
    • Most important thing to a private company   View Answer

Patent Technology Specialist (Bio/Electric) Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Shusaku Yamamoto.

online application, skype interview with HR and phone interview with the founder. Best policy is not to argue with them since they are not open minded and don't accept criticism.

No way for negotiation

International Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Shusaku Yamamoto in September 2014.

Received an email invitation to apply. Emailed cover letter, resume and transcript. Requested to provide further personal information, details and background information like past overseas jobs, studies and travel - typical background information.
    Given job description of about 20 plus duties and had to explain in a note why I would be able to excel performing it. Second writing assignment was an essay to be written in 1 hour.

Next stage was given extensive data/information about package, relocation, housing. Very comprehensive and thorough. Invited to have a Skype interview.

Very pleasant interview experience - ask to explain about certain parts of my application, resume and answers that I had provided - make sure you remember what you had provided earlier. Initial questions were relatively easy but follow-up questions were difficult and not so easy.

Did not proceed further after Skype interview.

International Paralegal Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Shusaku Yamamoto in September 2014.

University career service posted the opportunity. Application document was resume only. Received email to submit transcript, writing sample pages and background information like next of kin, travel/living history and availability date. Requested to write a note explaining fit/abilty to carry out paralegal tasks. Given comprehensive package information covering housing, salary, tax, insurance, pension and other living conditions/information. Details were clear and answered all relocation questions that I originally had. Invited for Skype interview. Interview was entirely competency and fit questions - relatively straightforward but the follow-up questions were difficult and somewhat different. Interview was about an hour long. No further progress.

Biotechnology Specialist Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Shusaku Yamamoto in August 2014.

Received an email invitation about the position. I visited the links provided and impressed by the outstanding milestones and biotech inventions handled. Emailed resume, cover letter and transcript as requested. Given first writing assignment date within 24 hours from submission.
    First assignment had 7 days to complete. Task was to outline differences between 2 documents (about 70 pages each document) - pointing out what is new or different from the older science/method. Difficult.

Next stage was to fill out a technology questionnaire and provide typical background details for conflict of interest check. Was given complete details about package, housing, salary etc., A couple of days later, second writing assignment was scheduled . 48 hours turnaround. About the same level of difficulty as the first.

About a week later, had a skype interview. - about an hour long. Questions were mostly about how to handle awkward or difficult situations - a lot of follow-up questions. Did not progress after this stage.

Interview Questions
    • Tell about the time that you disagreed with your supervisor and how did you resolve it.   View Answer

IP Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Shusaku Yamamoto in June 2014.

Applied after receiving a vacany alert. Emailed resume and response within 24 hours.

Was requested to provide transcript, writing sample and other background details. Received a first writing assignment and had to write 120 word note within 24 hours. Easy. The time for the second writing assignment was arranged by email. For the second writing assignment, I had to write an essay on an emailed topic within 1 hour. The topic was quite difficult.

Next stage, I was given complete details about package, housing, salary etc., About a week later, had a skype interview. Three parts to the interview. First part general interview questions (situational and behavioral) . Second part, I could ask questions and third part was an explanation of future steps of application process and wrapup.

Did not progress after this stage.

The entire process shadowed what was provided in the company careers page and FAQ.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a situation when you were publicly proven to be incorrect.   Answer Question

Technology Specialist Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Shusaku Yamamoto in October 2013.

Received a circular email about the position. Emailed resume, cover letter and transcript. Given first writing assignment within 24 hours from submission. 7 days to complete. Had to outline differences between 2 documents - pointing out what is new or different from the older science/method. Difficult.

Next stage was to fill out a technology competence survey and provide personal details. Then given details about package, housing, salary etc., 1 week later, had the second writing assignment had to be done in 48 hours which was agreed prior to the assignment.

About 3 days later, had a skype interview. - about an hour long. Questions were mostly about how to handle different situations - a lot of follow-up questions based on the answers that I provided. Did not progress after this stage.

Interview Questions
    • How did you handle someone was not pulling their own weight on the team that you were in?   View Answer

Biotech Specialist Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Shusaku Yamamoto in August 2013.

Responded to the ad on my university careers page and emailed resume.

Company's FAQ page is the most extensive and complete that I have ever read. Company's careers website had in depth explanation of application and interview process, tips for success and even sample interview questions. The entire process shadowed the description and although my questions were not identical but they were in a similar vein and the company's website really helped.

First step was a writing assignment. Had one week to complete a comparison table between one scientific article (about 8 pages long) and one patent document about 40 pages long). After first assignment, had to submit additional documents (like transcript, subject familiarity, personal details). Second writing assignment (both documents were about 40 pages each) had to be done in 48 hours - a little tougher.

1 week later had a skype interview. - about an hour long. Personal, behavioral questions - having to describe past actions in response to unexpected situations and how one handles different situations. Final telephone interview was short (about 4 questions). Had 6 days to consider offer and accepted it.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about the time when your conclusions were challenged by your lab supervisor?   Answer Question
    • What do you do when your schedule is interrupted? Give an example of how you handle it.   Answer Question
    • Please relate an example of a specific occasion in which you had to conform to a policy with which you did not agree   Answer Question
    Starting terms are non-negotiable. Only start date is flexible.

Biotech Specialist Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Shusaku Yamamoto in August 2013.

Applied from company website after seeing circular email from department head. Company's careers website had extremely helpful explanation of application process, hints and tips and interview questions. FAQ page very informative and answered all questions.

Submitted CV with transcript (as requested) and given first writing assignment. Had 7 days to complete a comparison between 2 patent documents. After first assignment, answered a tech familiarity survey and provide personal details - typical of a background check. Second writing assignment had to be done in 48 hours. I could choose the date/time of the assignment.

About 3 days later, had a skype interview. - about an hour and half long. Had to answer questions about resume and document submissions. Interviewer was very candid about long and tough work hours and that they were not hesitant to dismiss those who fail probation. Most difficult part of interview was the situational questions. Was told to give more concise answers.

I had a third writing assignment and it had to completed in 24 hours. i could choose the date/time of the assignment. Tough and difficult. Probably the reason why I did not make it for the final interview.

Interview Questions
    • What was the toughest unjustified criticism that your work received and how did you handle it?   Answer Question
    • Have you ever been on a team where someone was not pulling their own weight? How did you handle it?   Answer Question

Technology Specialist Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at Shusaku Yamamoto in July 2013.

Submitted .CV, transcript and covering letter
    Did 2 writing assignments of comparing scientific literature and patent pointing out differences. Difficult subject matter. Had a skype interview and questions were situational and behavioral-based. Interview was about an hour long. Discussed about details about employment, law firm long hours, difficulties and reasons why employees failed probation or were dismissed. Told to read through company FAQ page.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you think that you did not get better grades in university ?   Answer Question