Shutterfly

Relevance Date Difficulty

Director - Marketing Interview

Director - Marketing
Redwood City, CA

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Shutterfly in May 2013.

Interview Details – Had an initial interview over the phone. Went to onsite interviews at Redwood Shores facility and met with 7 total (Directors to VP level), 2 in HR. The interviews overall were very predictable and everyone at Shutterfly was professional and treated me well. Their HQ facility is very nice. There were a two people that didn't seem too excited about Shutterfly long term and the turnover seemed a little high (people on jobs short amounts of time, industry experience low, etc).

Interview Question – What would you do your first week on the job?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Shutterfly has virtually no women in executive level and board positions. A Shutterfly manager confided that their executive management is dominated by "white men" and the advancement to those levels was virtually impossible unless you were part of that group. Doesn't seem like a good company for a woman who is trying to advance their career, particularly odd since the product's target market is women. I ended up accepting a job for a larger tech company with executive management comprised of 30% women and a reputation for promoting women executives and work-life balance. Shutterfly has great products, I am sad it didn't work out but have to look at long term.

Software Engineer Intern Interview

Software Engineer Intern

I applied online - interviewed at Shutterfly in March 2012.

Interview Details – phone interview about Ajax, JavaScript, Database, Java, and OOP concepts

Interview Question – not difficult   Answer Question

Director of Marketing Interview

Director of Marketing
Redwood City, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Shutterfly in May 2013.

Interview Details – 18 interviews in total via phone, Skype and in person in Redwood City, CA.

Interview Question – How to analyze the brand.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I was very excited about working for Shutterfly. But there was not enough information and time to make the decision. HR asked for 24 hours to make the decision, but did not provide the information I asked for to make the decision. In addition, the excessive amount of interviews, 18, made me question the internal decision-making process. That said, I would still recommend Shutterfly and remain a brand ambassador.

Production Designer Interview

Production Designer
Tempe, AZ

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Shutterfly in August 2012.

Interview Details – Tiny Prints uses a staffing company for the initial phone and first round interviews. You must pass an online test showing knowledge of basic spelling, grammar, Photo Shop and InDesign.

Interview Question – None - all basic customer service based questions read from a form.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation.

Director, Marketing Interview

Director, Marketing
Redwood City, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Shutterfly in April 2013.

Interview Details – The initial contacts with HR went well - I got scheduled promptly for a phone interview, which was followed by two separate Skype calls a week later. Then I received an invitation to fly out to CA to meet with 7 people over the course of 5 hours. So far, so good. Sent thank you notes to everyone within 20 hours, including the HR coordinator. Sent follow-up note to the hiring manager and her boss a week later. Sent a reminder to the HR recruiter a week later. And another one a week later. After 3 weeks, I still have not heard from them about a decision. Only some excuses from HR about how busy everybody is.

Apparently they came to the conclusion that I'm not the right candidate for this role, but I was disappointed to receive no communication about that decision. And for a senior role like this, after such an extensive process, I expected some feedback as to why I'm not the right person for the job.

Interview Question – Most questions were about how I would tackle the job, and about examples in my previous jobs that relate to specific Shutterfly challenges. Nothing out of the ordinary.   Answer Question

Customer Analytics Interview

Customer Analytics
Redwood City, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Shutterfly in January 2013.

Interview Details – After applying online, I was contacted for an initial screening with HR. This was done over the phone. They let me know they would schedule a follow-up interview at the end, this time with the person who would be the supervised in the position. That interview lasted longer and wasn't too technical. It was more about bigger ideas of the project. This was also done on the phone, and at the end, I knew a follow-up would be scheduled.

The last interview was a one-on-one in person interview and it was more technical. The technical aspect wasn't what I was used to where it is like a test. It was more conversational. Overall, people were very friendly and even though I didn't get an offer, a positive experience.

Interview Question – This is hard to answer. Few questions had one right answer. So it was more like talking while trying to read reactions, which was a bit challenging.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer
Redwood City, CA

I applied in-person and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Shutterfly in March 2013.

Interview Details – I attended the career fair organized by Shutterfly in Sunnyvale, California in the last February and applied to various positions. I was contacted by the HR for this position after 10 days. ------>Had a phone interview scheduled after another week.
Phone Interview Questions
----> Java concepts(Overloading, Overriding, "Static, Final, Finally, Finalized" Keywords etc)
----> Basic SQL questions(Diff between delete and truncate, Database indexing etc.)
----> Basic Linux
----->Basic Testing questions

Got a reply from HR after a week, was called onsite.
In-person Questions
---->BST print level order
---->Lot of shell scripting questions were asked
---->Best Design patterns
----->Data structures basics

Interview Question – Looks like in-depth shell scripting is very much required, one of the interviewer asked only shell scripting for 1 hour.   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Senior Software Engineer

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Shutterfly in January 2013.

Interview Details – My friend referred for a open position, got email and a telephonic interview was scheduled after clearing phone interview I was called for onsite interview where was interviewed by 4 people covering algorithms to data modeling quetions.

Interview Question – Binary search tree natural order verification algorithm.   Answer Question

Senior Manager, Corporate Strategy Interview

Senior Manager, Corporate Strategy
Redwood City, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Shutterfly in July 2012.

Interview Details – First round phone interview went well. She promised to call back within 4 days either way. Weeks later...nothing despite several follow-up emails.

Partner Marketing Interview

Partner Marketing
Redwood City, CA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Shutterfly in August 2011.

Interview Details – I had a phone screen interview with an internal recruiter then an interview with 5 marketing team members for a Partner Marketing position. This was a pretty rigorous interview and I was there for about 3 hours. I was told I was a strong candidate. I was well-qualified for the position and I have an MBA. A few days after the interview I had an offer from another company. I emailed both the recruiter and the hiring manager. I told them I had another offer and wanted to know if they had a decision. They never responded. I understand that if they had come to a decision but to outright not respond is terrible. I think it is very unprofessional to ask someone to come for an interview for three hours and not respond to status of hiring. I did not hear back from them for several months and then when I finally did hear from them I received a canned email response that I was not being considered for the position. With a 3-4 hour in-person interview invested the company should have at LEAST responded to my inquiries with an email or better yet a personal phone call. The fact that Shutterfly recruiters and hiring manager never responded to my emails post-interview, nor contacted me after the interview I find very unprofessional. This has changed my mind about the integrity of the company. I no longer use Shutterfly for personal uses either because I am so outraged out how they conduct business. I tell friends and family not to use Shutterfly. I was a HUGE advocate of the company prior to this interview but the fact that they would waste my time interviewing and then be so disrespectful as to not let me know the status after is not appropriate. It sends a signal that employees are disposable. I now have a great job but I will forever dislike Shutterfly.

Interview Question – ROI on marketing solutions.   Answer Question