Shutterfly Interview Questions

Updated Jun 11, 2015

2.7

Interview

quite an unorganized interview, HR never kept a track of email communication, had to reconfirm the interview multiple times and in spite of the back and forth emails the architect who was supposed to interview never showed up. the manager who was supposed to interview was late, had a last minute interview by a manager who was not scheduled to interview.

Senior Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redwood City, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Shutterfly (Redwood City, CA) in August 2013.

Interview

First HR called for a phone screen, then I was scheduled to come into the office for a series of in-person interviews with the 5 people I'd be working with. Then, HR called back and made me an offer. The in-person wasn't difficult, just was long and it's always hard to stay fresh by that last person.

Interview Questions

• For this role, they wanted to know my familiarity with direct mail marketing   1 Answer

Negotiation

It was a set contract range. I had another opportunity, so I leveraged for the highest rate I could.

Senior Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redwood City, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Shutterfly (Redwood City, CA) in July 2013.

Interview

Very transparent. From the first call from a Junior Recruiter on, they laid out when they would call, with whom and how it would work. Three phone interviews - junior recruiter, senior recruiter, hiring manager, then approximately 3 hours of face-to-face 30 minute interviews with team members. Everyone was extremely nice and no difficult questions.

Interview Questions

• Nothing unexpected. Asked how I would handle road-blocks escalated by assistants?   Answer Question

Negotiation

It is a contract position, so the rate was stated up front. The only negotiation I did was around start date.

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Shutterfly in June 2013.

Interview

got email from HR , then one phone technical interview, second access internet online coding. The First person is senior developer, she is nice and polite, ask java/css/html/js basic question, some project experience and what I have known about their product.

It is my first time to share experience in glassdoor, one of reason urge me to get rid of my laziness is the second one is so bad! the team director called me late , and hang up call before scheduled time, so 45mins talk actually 30min, and exclude some questions, only 20mins for me to finish two coding question, when I ask more questions to make clear condition, she showed inpatient, push me to quickly, even some error, she found in my code, did not give me few seconds to fix it, i had many interviews before, never came across this situations, to be honest, I just graduated from school no more than half year, maybe they need very experienced people, I am not so qualified to this position, or her requirement, but when I asked her percentage of coding language, she expressed so upset, asked me"you ask me this?",it is soooooo rude, i do not think my questions offend her , even she did not know. it is really bad experience for me, next day I got reject letter from hr, suddenly I felt no bad, i cannot image how i can work with her in same team, especially she is kind of manager, even though i am very urgently to have a job now

Interview Questions

• coding question:
      1. write js slideshow program which loop each images display in the screen( when you loading page, automaticlly make slideshow animation)
      2 in place reverse string without java api
      interviewer never ask you explain idea, each question coding just 10mins

Answer Question

Director - Marketing Interview

Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Shutterfly (Redwood City, CA) in May 2013.

Interview

Had an initial interview over the phone. Went to onsite interviews at Redwood Shores facility and met with 7 total (Directors to VP level), 2 in HR. The interviews overall were very predictable and everyone at Shutterfly was professional and treated me well. Their HQ facility is very nice. There were a two people that didn't seem too excited about Shutterfly long term and the turnover seemed a little high (people on jobs short amounts of time, industry experience low, etc).

Interview Questions

Shutterfly has virtually no women in executive level and board positions. A Shutterfly manager confided that their executive management is dominated by "white men" and the advancement to those levels was virtually impossible unless you were part of that group. Doesn't seem like a good company for a woman who is trying to advance their career, particularly odd since the product's target market is women. I ended up accepting a job for a larger tech company with executive management comprised of 30% women and a reputation for promoting women executives and work-life balance. Shutterfly has great products, I am sad it didn't work out but have to look at long term.

Director of Marketing Interview

Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Shutterfly (Redwood City, CA) in May 2013.

Interview

18 interviews in total via phone, Skype and in person in Redwood City, CA.

Interview Questions

I was very excited about working for Shutterfly. But there was not enough information and time to make the decision. HR asked for 24 hours to make the decision, but did not provide the information I asked for to make the decision. In addition, the excessive amount of interviews, 18, made me question the internal decision-making process. That said, I would still recommend Shutterfly and remain a brand ambassador.

Director, Marketing Interview

Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Shutterfly (Redwood City, CA) in April 2013.

Interview

The initial contacts with HR went well - I got scheduled promptly for a phone interview, which was followed by two separate Skype calls a week later. Then I received an invitation to fly out to CA to meet with 7 people over the course of 5 hours. So far, so good. Sent thank you notes to everyone within 20 hours, including the HR coordinator. Sent follow-up note to the hiring manager and her boss a week later. Sent a reminder to the HR recruiter a week later. And another one a week later. After 3 weeks, I still have not heard from them about a decision. Only some excuses from HR about how busy everybody is.

Apparently they came to the conclusion that I'm not the right candidate for this role, but I was disappointed to receive no communication about that decision. And for a senior role like this, after such an extensive process, I expected some feedback as to why I'm not the right person for the job.

Interview Questions

• Most questions were about how I would tackle the job, and about examples in my previous jobs that relate to specific Shutterfly challenges. Nothing out of the ordinary.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Shutterfly (Redwood City, CA) in March 2013.

Interview

I attended the career fair organized by Shutterfly in Sunnyvale, California in the last February and applied to various positions. I was contacted by the HR for this position after 10 days. ------>Had a phone interview scheduled after another week.
    Phone Interview Questions
    ----> Java concepts(Overloading, Overriding, "Static, Final, Finally, Finalized" Keywords etc)
    ----> Basic SQL questions(Diff between delete and truncate, Database indexing etc.)
    ----> Basic Linux
    ----->Basic Testing questions

Got a reply from HR after a week, was called onsite.
    In-person Questions
    ---->BST print level order
    ---->Lot of shell scripting questions were asked
    ---->Best Design patterns
    ----->Data structures basics

Interview Questions

• Looks like in-depth shell scripting is very much required, one of the interviewer asked only shell scripting for 1 hour.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Shutterfly (Sunnyvale, CA) in March 2013.

Interview

Spoke to a recruiter at my university career fair and applied for an internship online in January 2013. In March, I was emailed for a phone interview with the recruiter and then a second phone interview with the hiring manager in April. Both went well, and I was told they would get back to me within a couple weeks. I heard no response after. I had to email both the recruiter and the hiring manager multiple times, and finally in May they told me that the position had been filled. They could have sent a simple email to inform me when the position had been filled earlier.

Customer Analytics Interview

Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Shutterfly (Redwood City, CA) in January 2013.

Interview

After applying online, I was contacted for an initial screening with HR. This was done over the phone. They let me know they would schedule a follow-up interview at the end, this time with the person who would be the supervised in the position. That interview lasted longer and wasn't too technical. It was more about bigger ideas of the project. This was also done on the phone, and at the end, I knew a follow-up would be scheduled.

The last interview was a one-on-one in person interview and it was more technical. The technical aspect wasn't what I was used to where it is like a test. It was more conversational. Overall, people were very friendly and even though I didn't get an offer, a positive experience.

Interview Questions

• This is hard to answer. Few questions had one right answer. So it was more like talking while trying to read reactions, which was a bit challenging.   Answer Question