Shutterfly

1 candidate interview Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Software Engineer Interview

Mountain View, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Shutterfly in June 2010.

Interview Details – I have to say I was under-estimating the programmers there, since this is only a card manufacturer's website. But, apparently, a lot goes on behind-the-scenes that we as a user are not aware of.

I had a phone interview with a project manager, who asked me questions regarding my resume, qualifications etc. There were some minor technical questions, but I think he realized that he needs to bring me on site.

So for the on-site interview, it started at approximately 1pm and ended at 6pm. I was grilled by 2 project managers, 1 senior developer and 2 other software engineers. I have to say, I was not prepared as much and extremely nervous. They definitely grilled me really well, but I made it a point to communicate my thought process so that they have an idea of how my thought-analysis progresses.

Either way, they tested me on some fundamental CS questions regarding data-structures, sorting algorithms and RDBMS. One of the junior software engineers presented a problem posed in a white-paper, which took me 45mins to figure out. I was not able to crack the solution, but I think more than solving, he was interested in how I went about solving it and what concepts I dug in to solve it. The senior developer asked me some "out-of-the-box" questions. The project managers asked me about sorting algorithms, which I forgot to brush up before I went for the interview. So I did my best to figure out the solution.

I was asked to come in again for the second day, met the VP of engineering who asked me explain my Master's thesis on white-board as quickly as possible. After that, another senior developer grilled me with questions. He asked me 3 questions, the first one was simple, but I think my nervousness got the worst of me. However, for the second and the third one, I definitely nailed it.

Alas, on the 4th day, I found out that they were not going to go ahead with my application. They told me that I have potential, good character, attitude etc., but they were looking for someone who can work more independently since I mentioned that I do look forward to code-reviews and like to ask questions. I think it was all due to my nervousness. I was so sure I was going to get this job, but even the managers were not expecting this.

Interview Questions

• How do you determine if 2 strings are anagrams of each other?   Answer Question
  • How do your reverse a singly linked-list in the most efficient way?   Answer Question
  • How do you sort 1TB of characters with only 1MB of RAM but infinite amount of disk-space?   Answer Question

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for Shutterfly? Contribute to the Community!

Shutterfly Videos

Shutterfly – Why Work for Us?

How many jobs help you celebrate new babies, parties, weddings, reunions, a trip to Disneyland or the Roman Coliseum... all in the same day? How many jobs help make people smile from ear to ear and shed tears of joy… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Shutterfly interview questions and advice in Mountain View, CA. All interview reviews posted anonymously by Shutterfly employees and interview candidates.