Shutterfly

2.8

26 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Staff Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redwood City, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Shutterfly in November 2014.

HR contacted and scheduled a phone screen with one of the engineers. After passing the phone screen I was sent a coding test. I passed that and I was scheduled to talk to the team via Skype. I am really interested in this position and did great technically with the first two people. The third person asked an architectural type question which wasn't clear but I tried to answer it with my knowledge but he didn't seem like adding to my thinking instead he criticized everything I said and his voice turned really aggressive during the conversation. There is really no right or wrong answer to these questions but raising a doubt instead of criticizing will help the interview candidate to do his best in a nerve wracking interview. The team decided to not move forward after this person and I found it very unprofessional to convey a no directly to the candidate during the interview and with one person's view on a unclear question keeping aside my professional experience and without testing any of my technical skills. I am disappointed with this company's interview process.

This company interviewed me twice for the same exact role in less than three months. In total, I did 3 phone interviews, 2 coding tests and 2 F2F(5 people) for the same role and still got rejected.

Interview Questions
    • Behavioral question: Tell me how you will design a system where user provides a file with one or more lines containing with two integers and the output would be a file with lines adding those two integers.   View Answer

Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redwood City, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Shutterfly in March 2014.

Met the recruiter and hiring manager at one of their hiring events. The manager asked me to go to the office for a more detailed interview, but didn't get back to me for at least a week. I emailed them to ask when the schedule is and instead, got a phone call from the recruiter to say I wasn't a fit. No explanations on what really happened.

Talent Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redwood City, CA

I applied online – interviewed at Shutterfly in January 2014.

I applied for the position online, and was contacted one week later via email to arrange a phone screen. I spoke with a very friendly recruiter over the phone, and was scheduled for an onsite interview one week later.

Onsite I met with several potential co-workers and my potential manager. Nothing unexpected -- they asked about my past work experience, explained the role in-depth, and allowed me to ask questions about the company. It was a very relaxed process. The manager in particular gave me positive feedback, and said the team would follow up by Monday.

And then... nothing. I emailed my initial contact on Tuesday and asked if they had made a hiring decision. Nothing. I emailed the manager and asked the same. Nothing. I noticed the position had been re-posted on LinkedIn. But again, nothing. That was very disappointing. I would have preferred a canned "thanks but no thanks" email, or a "we are still seeking candidates and will keep you in mind" email over nothing at all. Any candidate who comes onsite deserves some form of follow-up. Ignoring them completely is simply rude.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing unexpected. Typical interview questions (Why Shutterfly? Tell me about yourself. Where do you see yourself in 5 years? How do you stay organized?)   Answer Question

Senior QA Engineer II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redwood City, CA

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Shutterfly.

Applied through Staffing agencies. Got a Quick Response and Interview process was Easy.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing great. General Coding Questions and QA Related Questions.   Answer Question

Senior Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redwood City, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Shutterfly in July 2013.

Very transparent. From the first call from a Junior Recruiter on, they laid out when they would call, with whom and how it would work. Three phone interviews - junior recruiter, senior recruiter, hiring manager, then approximately 3 hours of face-to-face 30 minute interviews with team members. Everyone was extremely nice and no difficult questions.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing unexpected. Asked how I would handle road-blocks escalated by assistants?   Answer Question
    It is a contract position, so the rate was stated up front. The only negotiation I did was around start date.

Director - Marketing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redwood City, CA

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Shutterfly in May 2013.

Had an initial interview over the phone. Went to onsite interviews at Redwood Shores facility and met with 7 total (Directors to VP level), 2 in HR. The interviews overall were very predictable and everyone at Shutterfly was professional and treated me well. Their HQ facility is very nice. There were a two people that didn't seem too excited about Shutterfly long term and the turnover seemed a little high (people on jobs short amounts of time, industry experience low, etc).

Interview Questions

Shutterfly has virtually no women in executive level and board positions. A Shutterfly manager confided that their executive management is dominated by "white men" and the advancement to those levels was virtually impossible unless you were part of that group. Doesn't seem like a good company for a woman who is trying to advance their career, particularly odd since the product's target market is women. I ended up accepting a job for a larger tech company with executive management comprised of 30% women and a reputation for promoting women executives and work-life balance. Shutterfly has great products, I am sad it didn't work out but have to look at long term.

Director of Marketing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redwood City, CA

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Shutterfly in May 2013.

18 interviews in total via phone, Skype and in person in Redwood City, CA.

Interview Questions

I was very excited about working for Shutterfly. But there was not enough information and time to make the decision. HR asked for 24 hours to make the decision, but did not provide the information I asked for to make the decision. In addition, the excessive amount of interviews, 18, made me question the internal decision-making process. That said, I would still recommend Shutterfly and remain a brand ambassador.

Director, Marketing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redwood City, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Shutterfly in April 2013.

The initial contacts with HR went well - I got scheduled promptly for a phone interview, which was followed by two separate Skype calls a week later. Then I received an invitation to fly out to CA to meet with 7 people over the course of 5 hours. So far, so good. Sent thank you notes to everyone within 20 hours, including the HR coordinator. Sent follow-up note to the hiring manager and her boss a week later. Sent a reminder to the HR recruiter a week later. And another one a week later. After 3 weeks, I still have not heard from them about a decision. Only some excuses from HR about how busy everybody is.

Apparently they came to the conclusion that I'm not the right candidate for this role, but I was disappointed to receive no communication about that decision. And for a senior role like this, after such an extensive process, I expected some feedback as to why I'm not the right person for the job.

Interview Questions
    • Most questions were about how I would tackle the job, and about examples in my previous jobs that relate to specific Shutterfly challenges. Nothing out of the ordinary.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redwood City, CA

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Shutterfly in March 2013.

I attended the career fair organized by Shutterfly in Sunnyvale, California in the last February and applied to various positions. I was contacted by the HR for this position after 10 days. ------>Had a phone interview scheduled after another week.
    Phone Interview Questions
    ----> Java concepts(Overloading, Overriding, "Static, Final, Finally, Finalized" Keywords etc)
    ----> Basic SQL questions(Diff between delete and truncate, Database indexing etc.)
    ----> Basic Linux
    ----->Basic Testing questions

Got a reply from HR after a week, was called onsite.
    In-person Questions
    ---->BST print level order
    ---->Lot of shell scripting questions were asked
    ---->Best Design patterns
    ----->Data structures basics

Interview Questions
    • Looks like in-depth shell scripting is very much required, one of the interviewer asked only shell scripting for 1 hour.   Answer Question

Customer Analytics Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redwood City, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Shutterfly in January 2013.

After applying online, I was contacted for an initial screening with HR. This was done over the phone. They let me know they would schedule a follow-up interview at the end, this time with the person who would be the supervised in the position. That interview lasted longer and wasn't too technical. It was more about bigger ideas of the project. This was also done on the phone, and at the end, I knew a follow-up would be scheduled.

The last interview was a one-on-one in person interview and it was more technical. The technical aspect wasn't what I was used to where it is like a test. It was more conversational. Overall, people were very friendly and even though I didn't get an offer, a positive experience.

Interview Questions
    • This is hard to answer. Few questions had one right answer. So it was more like talking while trying to read reactions, which was a bit challenging.   Answer Question