Shutterfly

Average Difficulty
6 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Interviewed at Shutterfly

Interview Details – Applied online, was contacted within a few days. Initial phone interview a day later, and second phone interview on the same day. Offered a position maybe an hour or two later - the whole process took was completed within less than a week!

Everyone was incredibly friendly, and the technical interview isn't too bad as long as you remember your fundamentals.

Interview Question – Mostly data structures stuff.   Answer Question

Redwood City, CA

I applied in-person and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Shutterfly in March 2013.

Interview Details – I attended the career fair organized by Shutterfly in Sunnyvale, California in the last February and applied to various positions. I was contacted by the HR for this position after 10 days. ------>Had a phone interview scheduled after another week.
Phone Interview Questions
----> Java concepts(Overloading, Overriding, "Static, Final, Finally, Finalized" Keywords etc)
----> Basic SQL questions(Diff between delete and truncate, Database indexing etc.)
----> Basic Linux
----->Basic Testing questions

Got a reply from HR after a week, was called onsite.
In-person Questions
---->BST print level order
---->Lot of shell scripting questions were asked
---->Best Design patterns
----->Data structures basics

Interview Question – Looks like in-depth shell scripting is very much required, one of the interviewer asked only shell scripting for 1 hour.   Answer Question

Mountain View, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Shutterfly in June 2010.

Interview Details – I have to say I was under-estimating the programmers there, since this is only a card manufacturer's website. But, apparently, a lot goes on behind-the-scenes that we as a user are not aware of.

I had a phone interview with a project manager, who asked me questions regarding my resume, qualifications etc. There were some minor technical questions, but I think he realized that he needs to bring me on site.

So for the on-site interview, it started at approximately 1pm and ended at 6pm. I was grilled by 2 project managers, 1 senior developer and 2 other software engineers. I have to say, I was not prepared as much and extremely nervous. They definitely grilled me really well, but I made it a point to communicate my thought process so that they have an idea of how my thought-analysis progresses.

Either way, they tested me on some fundamental CS questions regarding data-structures, sorting algorithms and RDBMS. One of the junior software engineers presented a problem posed in a white-paper, which took me 45mins to figure out. I was not able to crack the solution, but I think more than solving, he was interested in how I went about solving it and what concepts I dug in to solve it. The senior developer asked me some "out-of-the-box" questions. The project managers asked me about sorting algorithms, which I forgot to brush up before I went for the interview. So I did my best to figure out the solution.

I was asked to come in again for the second day, met the VP of engineering who asked me explain my Master's thesis on white-board as quickly as possible. After that, another senior developer grilled me with questions. He asked me 3 questions, the first one was simple, but I think my nervousness got the worst of me. However, for the second and the third one, I definitely nailed it.

Alas, on the 4th day, I found out that they were not going to go ahead with my application. They told me that I have potential, good character, attitude etc., but they were looking for someone who can work more independently since I mentioned that I do look forward to code-reviews and like to ask questions. I think it was all due to my nervousness. I was so sure I was going to get this job, but even the managers were not expecting this.

Interview Questions

• How do you determine if 2 strings are anagrams of each other?   Answer Question
  • How do your reverse a singly linked-list in the most efficient way?   Answer Question
  • How do you sort 1TB of characters with only 1MB of RAM but infinite amount of disk-space?   Answer Question

Redwood City, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Shutterfly in March 2010.

Interview Details – The HR/recruiters were really good at setting up the interviews and the on-boarding process. They were very easy to deal with, which was refreshing after some frustrating experiences at other companies.
The interviews were reasonable with questions relevant to the job. There was no brain teasers bs that tells you nothing about the person's skill set or freshman level cs questions (i.e. how to implement a linked list) which anyone can look up online in 5 minutes.
The people were very friendly and polite, pleasure to deal with.

Interview Question – Various ways to implement objects in javascript.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – it helps to have a competing offer on the table, which Shutterfly was willing to match.

Software Engineer

I applied through an employee referral and interviewed at Shutterfly.

Interview Details – I have mixed opinion about the interview process. It's a hit-or-miss. The company has a high attrition rate. While the position that I applied to opened up after several months, the company was undergoing major reorganization. The manager who interviewed me wanted to invite me onsite. However the position moved under a different manager. Still they called me for an interview. The interviewers were very polite, interested and respectful. After a couple of days, I was asked to meet a couple of other folks working at a different location. The second round was indeed a very bad experience since the guy interviewing me had no idea about my background or previous interview. He probably had no time to look at my resume and struggled to come up with questions. Based on the questions he asked , I could tell that he was not prepared and seemed like it was just imposed on him. The other interviewer admitted that the resume was sent by the recruiter at the last min and hence ended up asking general questions. After sending a couple of reminders, I finally got to hear that I was not the right fit for the role. It was really frustrating.

They do make a good product, have very easy going people. This experience was terrible. If you plan on applying or interviewing at Shutterfly, make sure that you don't get fooled by the recruiter's sweet talk. Don't keep hopes until you have the offer letter.

Interview Question – Most questions are fairly easy. If you are applying for a java position, make sure you know concurrency, Data structures and Collections really well.   Answer Question

Software Engineer

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Shutterfly in December 2008.

Interview Details – I had first 1:1 with the hiring manager over phone, he asked about my then current position and experience. Then I was called for interview at their office which was technical and then another technical interview over phone.

Interview Question – Some assembly level algorithm   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Shutterfly

Worked for Shutterfly? Contribute to the Community!

Shutterfly Videos

Shutterfly – Why Work for Us?

How many jobs help you celebrate new babies, parties, weddings, reunions, a trip to Disneyland or the Roman Coliseum... all in the same day? How many jobs help make people smile from ear to ear and shed tears of joy… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Shutterfly Software Engineer interview questions and advice. All 6 interview reviews posted anonymously by Shutterfly employees and interview candidates.