Sidley Austin Interview Questions

Updated Feb 27, 2015
Updated Feb 27, 2015

2.9

Associate Interview

Application

I applied in-person – interviewed at Sidley Austin.

Interview

Applied online and the process took about 3 weeks. It was an alright interview with many questions back to back. Some of the questions were expected and some were not. The process took about 1-1&half hr. It Depends on how things go. Overall, just be ready for all types of questions they ask for. Also, It was very professional environment and the people working there seemed nice.

Marketing Assistant Interview

Interview

Easy and quick. The woman interviewing me just wanted to make sure I did research on the company and position. I was interviewed by the director first and then someone from HR. Questions were straightforward and to the point.

Negotiation

They offered $42,000, I asked for more and they offered my $43,500.

IT Intrern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Sidley Austin.

Interview

There are multiple IT teams, so your experience may vary.

IT operates as a team, as a unity and as a family. After an interview with an IT manager you'll move on meeting the team, your allies from day in to day out. Its a very professional atmosphere, where the manager really asked what technology I'm skills with and what technical projects were completed in my history. Projects are important, as it seemed, more than the skills I had. They really want to make sure I was a tight but flexible fit. Expect questions, be specific, don't be nervous.

Meeting the team was a family-like experience. One by one, shaking hands, visiting each person's work area. No cubicles here, its open air, each person sharing a spread table with another person. They ask what interests you, how they started, what they enjoy about Sidley, shared a few "when I was your age" stories and were welcoming. This is the social test, because more that projects and skills, it truly matters that you can handle a social atmosphere, communicate, and can act as an approachable "normal" human being. If your friend-like (not friendly), with coworkers as well as the clients/local staffs you'll be often meeting and supporting in person, you will get ahead more often, plus enjoy the strict work but communal atmosphere in IT.

Interview Questions

• What do you do when you can't solve an issue with a client---their laptop has stopped not working, your diagnostics don't provide an answer, its the approaching the of your day and inventory is locked. Immediately, what words do you say to this client? How would you handle this situation? What actions will you take next?   1 Answer

Human Resources Communications Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Sidley Austin (Chicago, IL).

Interview

The HR contacts were friendly and responsive. One phone screen and two onsite interviews with a total of seven people involved.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you failed and how you dealt with it.   Answer Question

Legal Secretary (An Update) Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Sidley Austin (New York, NY) in June 2013.

Interview

Now, today, a month after I contacted B.T. in Human Resources, Sidley is "still interested" in me and would like me to come in for the final interview. I told my recruiter that I'm not interested in them.

Allow me to provide a timeline:

June 7 - 1st of 3 interviews

June 19 - 2nd of 3 interview

July 3 - I'm informed by my recruiter that they'd like me to return during the week of July 15th. This never took place. I frequently checked in with my recruiter, and was just told that she never heard from them and that I am still "in the running".

August 15 - I contacted B.T. in Human Resources

September 11 - My recruiter informs me that they called last night, asking about me and if I could come in for the 3rd interview. I told her no, I am not interested.

Seriously?? How many more red flags do I need?

Interview Questions

• Why would you want to work here?   1 Answer

Practice Group Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Sidley Austin (Chicago, IL) in March 2013.

Interview

Interviewed on the phone with the recruiting manager, then a 1:1 with the Legal Assistant Manager. Then 1:1 with a partner in the practice group followed by an interview with 2 of the legal assistants I would be assisting.

Litigation Support Technician Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Sidley Austin (Chicago, IL) in July 2012.

Interview

I was recruited to be a contract to hire. Both managers who interviewed me were very nice made me feel comfortable with the position. They warned me about the hours and were up front with everything. They were surprised that I had reached out to some friends who were lawyers and had some job expectations.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Going in to the interview I knew what the hourly rate was going to be.

Staff Attorney Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Sidley Austin (New York, NY) in April 2012.

Interview

First time, interviewed by 5 persons, and second time by two persons

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Unofficial offer at the second interview and a formal offer via email later

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Sidley Austin (New York, NY) in March 2012.

Interview

After several email and phone communications with an HR representative, I was invited to the offices for an interview. The building is shared by several other companies, and Sidley occupies several floors about halfway up the building. The reception area was upscale and comfortable. I was first interviewed by the HR representative with whom I had been communicating, and she asked me general questions about my experience and expectations. I was then interviewed by the woman who would become my supervisor. She explained the position specifically and asked me pointed questions in order (presumably) to assess my ability to carry out the tasks required of the position. She also asked me about my past experiences and my expectations for the internship. After a couple of days she contacted me requesting that I come in for a third interview with another future supervisor. That interview was similar to the others. A few days later I was informed that I had been hired, and I discussed my salary and start date by phone with the HR representative a week or so later.

Interview Questions

• The interview was awhile ago, so I don't really remember specific questions. I do remember being asked what process I would use in researching a client (a task relevant to my position). This question was somewhat unexpected in that I thought my initial instinct (Google the person) was too obvious an answer, but it was not a terribly difficult question.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I'm not sure about negotiation, it was my first internship so I gladly accepted it without asking too many questions. I did request that the firm provide me with an unlimited Metrocard, but this request was denied.

Legal Assistant Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Sidley Austin (New York, NY) in August 2011.

Interview

Applied for job via university's job board and was immediately contacted by someone in Human Resources. I came in the next morning for an early morning interview that took between 2-3 hours. I met with HR first, then was interviewed by (in order) an a) HR staff member that hired the 30+ legal assistants at Sidley b) 3 legal assistants c) an attorney d) another attorney. I signed a few papers before the interview. I did not receive an offer, but I was clearly hesitant about the job as the legal assistants were very informative and honest (most disliked the long hours and redundancy).

Interview Questions

• Considering the long hours, repetitive work, and the fact that you are doing everything the lawyers would rather not do, why do you want the job?   Answer Question