Sidley Austin

Sidley Austin Interview Questions

2.9

Human Resources Communications Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online – interviewed at Sidley Austin.

The HR contacts were friendly and responsive. One phone screen and two onsite interviews with a total of seven people involved.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you failed and how you dealt with it.   Answer Question

Legal Secretary (An Update) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Sidley Austin in June 2013.

Now, today, a month after I contacted B.T. in Human Resources, Sidley is "still interested" in me and would like me to come in for the final interview. I told my recruiter that I'm not interested in them.

Allow me to provide a timeline:

June 7 - 1st of 3 interviews

June 19 - 2nd of 3 interview

July 3 - I'm informed by my recruiter that they'd like me to return during the week of July 15th. This never took place. I frequently checked in with my recruiter, and was just told that she never heard from them and that I am still "in the running".

August 15 - I contacted B.T. in Human Resources

September 11 - My recruiter informs me that they called last night, asking about me and if I could come in for the 3rd interview. I told her no, I am not interested.

Seriously?? How many more red flags do I need?

Practice Group Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Sidley Austin in March 2013.

Interviewed on the phone with the recruiting manager, then a 1:1 with the Legal Assistant Manager. Then 1:1 with a partner in the practice group followed by an interview with 2 of the legal assistants I would be assisting.

Litigation Support Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Sidley Austin in July 2012.

I was recruited to be a contract to hire. Both managers who interviewed me were very nice made me feel comfortable with the position. They warned me about the hours and were up front with everything. They were surprised that I had reached out to some friends who were lawyers and had some job expectations.

Interview Questions
    Going in to the interview I knew what the hourly rate was going to be.

Staff Attorney Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Sidley Austin in April 2012.

First time, interviewed by 5 persons, and second time by two persons

Interview Questions
    Unofficial offer at the second interview and a formal offer via email later

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Sidley Austin in March 2012.

After several email and phone communications with an HR representative, I was invited to the offices for an interview. The building is shared by several other companies, and Sidley occupies several floors about halfway up the building. The reception area was upscale and comfortable. I was first interviewed by the HR representative with whom I had been communicating, and she asked me general questions about my experience and expectations. I was then interviewed by the woman who would become my supervisor. She explained the position specifically and asked me pointed questions in order (presumably) to assess my ability to carry out the tasks required of the position. She also asked me about my past experiences and my expectations for the internship. After a couple of days she contacted me requesting that I come in for a third interview with another future supervisor. That interview was similar to the others. A few days later I was informed that I had been hired, and I discussed my salary and start date by phone with the HR representative a week or so later.

Interview Questions
    • The interview was awhile ago, so I don't really remember specific questions. I do remember being asked what process I would use in researching a client (a task relevant to my position). This question was somewhat unexpected in that I thought my initial instinct (Google the person) was too obvious an answer, but it was not a terribly difficult question.   Answer Question
    I'm not sure about negotiation, it was my first internship so I gladly accepted it without asking too many questions. I did request that the firm provide me with an unlimited Metrocard, but this request was denied.

Legal Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Sidley Austin in August 2011.

Applied for job via university's job board and was immediately contacted by someone in Human Resources. I came in the next morning for an early morning interview that took between 2-3 hours. I met with HR first, then was interviewed by (in order) an a) HR staff member that hired the 30+ legal assistants at Sidley b) 3 legal assistants c) an attorney d) another attorney. I signed a few papers before the interview. I did not receive an offer, but I was clearly hesitant about the job as the legal assistants were very informative and honest (most disliked the long hours and redundancy).

Interview Questions
    • Considering the long hours, repetitive work, and the fact that you are doing everything the lawyers would rather not do, why do you want the job?   Answer Question

Summer Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Sidley Austin in August 2011.

Pretentious firm with a lot of snobby people, and that's apparent just from interviews. One interviewer discusses her various houses at ski and lakeside resorts. The firm comes off as aggressive which would be expected for any large defense firm, but there was a particular level of snobbery and entitlement that tainted the whole interview. It is an interactive interview process and you will have the opportunity to speak to a variety of partners and associates. In that way, they give you an honest view of the firm, what your first, second, etc. years will be like and the general culture. It’s just unfortunate that that culture will only appeal to a specific type of person applying for the money and prestige.

Interview Questions
    • Mostly just questions about my background which, admittedly is slightly eclectic   View Answer

For the reasons discussed above regarding my view of the firm atmosphere

Litigation Support Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Sidley Austin in November 2008.

I interviewed with two managers and spoke with one HR manager over the phone prior to receiving an offer letter. Both interviews were face to face and lasted less than an hour.

Interview Questions
    I didn't need to negotiate salary. They asked me for a salary range and they offered me the low-end of the range.

Legal Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a dayinterviewed at Sidley Austin in September 2008.

I, like most of the other legal assistants in my practice group, was brought in through a staffing company. My interview was in person with the paralegal manager, followed by the other legal assistants in the practice group. I also met with one of the attorneys in the practice group, followed by one of the partners in the practice group. I was asked questions related to my education, related experience, professional interests and hobbies.

Interview Questions
    • The partner asked me questions about specific movies, and I had no idea what the answers were. I got the impression he was trying to gauge personality more than anything, and I got the job so I don't know that my lack of knowledge of those particular movies carried any real weight.   Answer Question