Sidley Austin

Relevance Date Difficulty

Intern Interview

Intern
New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Sidley Austin in March 2012.

Interview Details – After several email and phone communications with an HR representative, I was invited to the offices for an interview. The building is shared by several other companies, and Sidley occupies several floors about halfway up the building. The reception area was upscale and comfortable. I was first interviewed by the HR representative with whom I had been communicating, and she asked me general questions about my experience and expectations. I was then interviewed by the woman who would become my supervisor. She explained the position specifically and asked me pointed questions in order (presumably) to assess my ability to carry out the tasks required of the position. She also asked me about my past experiences and my expectations for the internship. After a couple of days she contacted me requesting that I come in for a third interview with another future supervisor. That interview was similar to the others. A few days later I was informed that I had been hired, and I discussed my salary and start date by phone with the HR representative a week or so later.

Interview Question – The interview was awhile ago, so I don't really remember specific questions. I do remember being asked what process I would use in researching a client (a task relevant to my position). This question was somewhat unexpected in that I thought my initial instinct (Google the person) was too obvious an answer, but it was not a terribly difficult question.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I'm not sure about negotiation, it was my first internship so I gladly accepted it without asking too many questions. I did request that the firm provide me with an unlimited Metrocard, but this request was denied.

Legal Secretary (An Update) Interview

Legal Secretary (An Update)
New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4 months - interviewed at Sidley Austin in June 2013.

Interview Details – Now, today, a month after I contacted B.T. in Human Resources, Sidley is "still interested" in me and would like me to come in for the final interview. I told my recruiter that I'm not interested in them.

Allow me to provide a timeline:

June 7 - 1st of 3 interviews

June 19 - 2nd of 3 interview

July 3 - I'm informed by my recruiter that they'd like me to return during the week of July 15th. This never took place. I frequently checked in with my recruiter, and was just told that she never heard from them and that I am still "in the running".

August 15 - I contacted B.T. in Human Resources

September 11 - My recruiter informs me that they called last night, asking about me and if I could come in for the 3rd interview. I told her no, I am not interested.

Seriously?? How many more red flags do I need?

Interview Question – Why would you want to work here?   View Answer

Staff Attorney Interview

Staff Attorney
New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Sidley Austin in April 2012.

Interview Details – First time, interviewed by 5 persons, and second time by two persons

Interview Question – Interview process was formal but warm and friendly   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Unofficial offer at the second interview and a formal offer via email later

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Legal Assistant Interview

Legal Assistant
New York, NY

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took a day - interviewed at Sidley Austin in September 2008.

Interview Details – I, like most of the other legal assistants in my practice group, was brought in through a staffing company. My interview was in person with the paralegal manager, followed by the other legal assistants in the practice group. I also met with one of the attorneys in the practice group, followed by one of the partners in the practice group. I was asked questions related to my education, related experience, professional interests and hobbies.

Interview Question – The partner asked me questions about specific movies, and I had no idea what the answers were. I got the impression he was trying to gauge personality more than anything, and I got the job so I don't know that my lack of knowledge of those particular movies carried any real weight.   Answer Question

Legal Assistant Interview

Legal Assistant
New York, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Sidley Austin in August 2011.

Interview Details – Applied for job via university's job board and was immediately contacted by someone in Human Resources. I came in the next morning for an early morning interview that took between 2-3 hours. I met with HR first, then was interviewed by (in order) an a) HR staff member that hired the 30+ legal assistants at Sidley b) 3 legal assistants c) an attorney d) another attorney. I signed a few papers before the interview. I did not receive an offer, but I was clearly hesitant about the job as the legal assistants were very informative and honest (most disliked the long hours and redundancy).

Interview Question – Considering the long hours, repetitive work, and the fact that you are doing everything the lawyers would rather not do, why do you want the job?   Answer Question

Worked for Sidley Austin? Contribute to the Community!