Siemens Energy Interview Questions

Updated Jun 12, 2015

2.9

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Siemens Energy (Houston, TX) in April 2015.

Interview

Transmission Planning engineer position in Siemens PTI group at Houston office. They have power system transmission planning projects for utilities in the US and also south America. Two managers and another two team members involved in the interview. Phone interview for 1 hour with a lot of technical questions. Interviewers are experts in the area. Received onsite invitation after 1 week. The onsite interview is not easy but still OK if you really had related experience. The onsite is from 9am to 1pm, with 2 hours technical questions then 2 hours for you to give a technical presentation (a lot of questions regarding your presentation).

The hiring manager arranged all the interview process; no HR involved through the interview process. Still on the waiting list when writing this review. All the interviewers are expert in this area and they are very nice. A little bid strenuous at onsite but still enjoyed the interview.

Interview Questions

• Interviewers are experts in the area. The onsite is from 9am to 1pm, with 2 hours technical questions then 2 hours for you to give a technical presentation (a lot of questions regarding your presentation).   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Siemens Energy.

Interview

Applied online over the summer and got a call back 2 weeks later. Got brought in for 1st round of interviews with 3 managers. Fairy simple and basic questions with none being technical. Asked if I knew how to use Microsoft Office applications at most. Got a call back the next week with an offer and accepted.

Co-Op Interview

Application

I applied in-person – interviewed at Siemens Energy.

Interview

The interview was brief, 30 mins. It was basically a conversation and display of my knowledge about the company and willingness to learn. One of the best tricks to remember in an interview is to ask questions and interview them. Don't be nervous and research as much as possible about the company in order to start general small talk and show your awareness and interest of what is going on inside the company.

Interview Questions

• There were not any difficult questions. Most of the questions were case-based scenarios about handling situations under pressure and team work.   Answer Question

Negotiation

The negotiation phase consisted of constant emails to accept the offer/payscale. There was a lot of paperwork done online and in person.

Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orlando, FL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Siemens Energy (Orlando, FL) in September 2014.

Interview

I applied online on their jobs website, July 2014. I did not hear anything for several weeks, tried contacting several Siemens HR people with no success. I finally emailed my resume to a person I had worked with several years before in that company and he was able to get it to the hiring manager. The hiring manager called me for a quick phone interview the last week of August (2014). We just basically talked about why I wanted to leave my present company and what I knew about the position I was interested in. I met the hiring manager for lunch the next Friday; talked about my background, general Q&A back and forth. Everything went good and I was scheduled for a panel interview with 2 senior managers about a week and a half later. During the panel interview we talked about strengths and weaknesses, former positions and future goals. This position works directly with a high level customer, so I had to meet with the customers representatives before they would make me an offer. There were no real technical questions discussed during the customer interview, just making sure there would not be any personality issues. Everything went good and I did receive an offer a few days later.

Interview Questions

• Role play between an unhappy customer and the lead engineer (me) discussing engineering and communication failures.   Answer Question

Negotiation

By the end of the interview process, I was on good terms with the hiring manager, we negotiated salary, vacation and start date before the offer letter was drafted. I accepted the first offer and started soon after.

Purchasing Interview

Interview

Prompt call back after applying as well as a prompt scheduling for a face to face. The interview consisted of around 6 interviewers. The interview length last close to 3 hours. Each interview took close to 30 minutes. The questions were tied to sourcing in a low volume environment and being able to work with engineering changes. The feedback after the interview as nonexistent. Very delayed in the decision making process. The interview team was a mix between managers and team members. Some were trained in how to perform interviews while others were not.

Interview Questions

• How to deal with a poor performing supplier that you are not able to move away from. It was a vaguely put question.   Answer Question

Engineering Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Siemens Energy (Charlotte, NC) in May 2014.

Interview

I was an existing employee that interviewed for an internal posting. I interviewed with multiple managers of the group in person. The managers I interviewed with were professional and personable. They were mostly interested in how I handle interpersonal issues and problem solving issues.

Commodity Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orlando, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Siemens Energy (Orlando, FL) in November 2013.

Interview

started with phone screening, then 1:1 with HR, then group interview with manager and his boss. medium difficulty questions related to market conditions and how the candidate deals with specific situations. They were looking to see if candidate has knowledge on specific field needed, plus team work skills, leadership skills, etc.

Interview Questions

• what would you do if you have a single source for an important component that you purchase?   Answer Question

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Siemens Energy in November 2013.

Interview

Inital interview on campus and then taken to Orlando for a 2 day interview. Consisted of 2 technical interviews and 1 HR interview. Overall a very nice experience.

Interview Questions

• The ususal basic questions - nothing too out of the box.   Answer Question

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Siemens Energy (Denver, CO) in August 2013.

Interview

The hiring manager called and requested a phone screen the same day. I had submitted for the position 6 weeks earlier. Due to schedules we ended up meeting the next day. Phone interview went well and was straight forward and progressed to an in person interview later the same week. I have some very specific experience they were seeking and the questions centered around my experience in this particular area. Before the interview I was sent a link for the background check which took about an hour to complete. In person interview was straight forward and consisted of a panel interview (6 personnel) with lots of questions on my leadership and management style as well as how I interface with others. They dismissed 3 of the 6 and the discussion progressed to start dates, compensation, and title. At the end of the interview was told I was the first interview and they had a couple candidates from other BU's to interview. Seemed to be given 'the nod' during this interview and was told they expected to complete interviews by the end of the following week.

Interview Questions

• How do you interface with someone who is an introvert?   Answer Question

EIT Energy Sector Interview

Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Siemens Energy (Orlando, FL).

Interview

Spoke with interviewer at carrer fair and signed up for an on campus interview. Passed on to the next round, and was flown to Orlando for a two day interview process. Night one started with dinner, introductions, some speeches, and time to speak with interviewers. Day two consisted of three 45 minute interviews, two of which were with managers, one with HR.

Interview Questions

• Scenario based questions were somewhat difficult without knowing company culture or expectations.   Answer Question