Sierra Club

Updated Dec 29, 2014
Updated Dec 29, 2014

2.9

Water Policy Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Sierra Club.

I head about the Sierra Club through a friend and was very excited to work with a great environmental group. My interview went well and I was hired within 2 hours. I was told I would be a water policy intern working in an open work space (like a think tank).

Interview Questions
    • They didn't ask anything too hard. They did ask how you previously overcame a difficult experience at a workplace or internship.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeksinterviewed at Sierra Club.

The manager was unprepared. They interviewed for the same position 6 months apart and never hired anyone. ANYONE. Ask the Sierra Club if they are actually hiring or if the interview is fake. Maybe they are unorganized and rudderless on purpose? Maybe they enjoy meeting overqualified candidates and waste his/her time?

Interview Questions
    • Are you able to manage your time effectively and without getting into trouble if unsupervised?   View Answer
    • \Have you ever lost or damaged company property?   View Answer

Conservation Organizer Apprentice Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Sierra Club in July 2013.

I sent a cover letter and resume online. Was contacted for a phone interview and then for a google hangout interview. I was told I would contacted within the next week regarding their decision, I heard nothing and even after contacting them, I have gotten no response... Not very professional on their part.

Interview Questions
    • They mainly asked questions about my previous experience and to expand on my resume   Answer Question

Associate Director of Donor Data and Analysis Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at Sierra Club.

The hiring process took a long time. I applied for two positions on the same day - one with Sierra Club, and one with another organization. They both responded to me on the same day to schedule an interview. Unfortunately, it took the Sierra Club three weeks to schedule me for an in-person. I was given an offer by the other company in the interim.

Senior Front End Web Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Sierra Club in April 2012.

The interview process took place over quite an extended time-frame. After the initial phone screen, I was given an exercise to complete (a little strange in terms of design...but OK), which took roughly a couple hours. Following that, about a week later, was a second phone interview, and then a couple weeks after that a face-to-face interview in the office, first with a panel and then with the manager and the director. And then finally there was a 2 week waiting period before hearing the results. Not once did I have any hesitation about the place, the job, or any of the several people with whom I spoke--all were completely cordial and professional. And combined with the fact that I particularly respect and appreciate what the Sierra Club does, I very likely would have taken the job had it been offered to me--assuming the salary had been adequate (see previous interview writeup).

Furthermore, even though they did not end up making me an offer, I would have still given the experience a positive rating if it weren't for one aspect. All along the process from beginning to end, whenever Drupal was mentioned I clearly stated that, though I had worked with other CMS's, I had not worked with that particular CMS before (although I assured them I would do all I could to come up to speed prior to starting if selected-- and they always said 'no problem'--including at the in-office interview; in fact they consistently seemed very positive about my suitability for the position. So when they informed me 2 weeks later that they had offered the job to someone else and I asked what took me out of the running, I suppose it was sort of a surprise and yet not a surprise that they said...Drupal! Seems to me it would have saved a good deal of time for all involved if they had first interviewed only those candidates with prior Drupal experience before moving on to other candidates such as myself.

So I have to say the way it was handled was disappointing given the long tradition of Sierra Club membership in my family--as a matter of fact, Ansel Adams was a good friend of my father (true story!).

Webmaster, Web Training Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

The process took a dayinterviewed at Sierra Club in August 2011.

Casual work environment, friendly staff. Web and training related, role so asked to prepare a mock training session. Spent several hours preparing a training outline and development a mock training session that covered how to maintain web content in their Drupal environment. Interviewed briefly with hiring manager, then a panel interview which including this mock training session. 1-1 and panel/training session went well, but when hiring manager did a follow up call to discuss salary expectations, the absolute highest salary offered was 10's of thousands below market rate (even considering this is a not-for-profit organization). Notice recently as of 9/2001 position is still unfilled. Shame. Would consider the role if it was closer to market rate. San Francisco is an expensive place to live and the skill sets required for the job command a much more realistic salary.

Interview Questions

Money - incredibly far apart on salary.

Associate Organizer Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Sierra Club in April 2010.

I submitted my resume and cover letter by email. Took almost 2 months to hear back from the hiring manager, but once I did, the whole process only took about 1 month. There was one phone interview and an in-person interview, both with several people.

Interview Questions
    • What is a failure you've experienced and how did you deal with it?   Answer Question
    They were not able to negotiate much, which was disappointing. I think I got an additional $1,000.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Sierra Club in July 2009.

I applied but was not interviewed for a few months. First I had a phone interview with 3 or 4 people, then they flew me out to the city where I'd be based for an in-person interview. The dress was very casual - I was glad I didn't wear a full suit! About a week later, they made an offer.

Interview Questions
    I was able to get an additional thousand dollars on my salary and a later start date.

Apprentice Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Sierra Club in April 2009.

I filled out an application with a long essay question/personal statement. My interview was over the phone because the panel interviewers were on the opposite end of the country. They asked me about my interest in working for the Sierra Club, my interest in environmental issues, and my strengths and personal qualities.

Interview Questions
    • I can't remember... the interview took place a long ago.   Answer Question
    The salary was pre-set; there was no negotiation.

Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Sierra Club in August 2008.

Decent communication beforehand. Easy going interview that encouraged discussion and openness. Good followup questions that allowed me to present my qualifications in a context that was relevant to the position. Naively, though, I did not pick up on several signs that the organization itself is rather dysfunctional in terms of employee well-being.

Interview Questions
    • Lots of people want to work for The Sierra Club. Why would we select you over others?   View Answer
    Inflexible. Another clue that I should have noted before accepting.