Sierra Nevada Corporation

2.6

Material Planner I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Greenville, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Greenville, TX

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at Sierra Nevada Corporation in January 2010.

I prepared myself by prior searching SNC on the web and getting familiar with the company. My interview was 30 minutes long and was offiered a job that very day!

Interview Questions
    • I was asked if I would consider working in another state!   Answer Question

Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Centennial, CO

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Sierra Nevada Corporation in February 2009.

Pretty much easiest interview ever. No formalities, no real interview questions.

Slow with recruiting. Had to bug the recruiter constantly for status updates.

Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sparks, NV

I applied through other source. The process took a dayinterviewed at Sierra Nevada Corporation in July 2013.

SNC's engineering/management hiring is a joke. They simply don't know what they are doing when it comes to hiring, and they think that they can just google questions to ask. They are a defense contractor, but if you want to know anything about any one of their projects, just interview for a position with one. They will sit there with their buds all in on the same interview (woo, meeting time = free soda! 30 mins? Better charge an hour and a half.), and talk about how great their project is, even down to minutia of how it works.

Interview Questions
    • And when the interview is over, you realize they didn't ask you a single challenging question, unless it was some small engineer in the back who realizes they are going to hire a doofus and is trying to pipe up to save the project or comapny. No matter, the manager or two guys from the project assigned to 'hire' just have to like you. There might also be a third person in on the interview, who those two know, and they think to themselves, for example, "this SNC guy out in Timbuktu knows RF. I know RF stands for Radio Frequency, and I think this job needs wireless stuff, so I'll invite him to the interview as well." Your resume gets plopped into a shared folder where it might get deleted on accident, and your name gets placed on a spreadsheet where they have people who may have overheard the conversation give a thumbs up or down. Most of this is done on project time and money, and SNC employees must 'ALWAYS be on a charge number, even if it's borderline or plain unethical. They are starting to utilize more the 'official hiring folk' from up front who think they know best, but really have no clue what an engineer is supposed to do, and so unfortunately these people will filter out the real good people. Your best bet is to try to contact an engineer on a team to get your name past those guys.   Answer Question
    Low ball, slightly higher low ball + guilt trip, 150% matching for 10% of income? "good" medical? ok. I don't have time to do the math in my head so i suppose I'll accept.

Software Engineer Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sparks, NV

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Sierra Nevada Corporation in March 2014.

I talked to a recruiter at a job fair, and about a month later I got a call asking to set up an interview time. I was brought in on a Monday from 8:00am-1:00pm and met with a Senior Software Engineer, other Software Engineers, and upper level management (I didn't expect to meet with people that high up on the chain of command, but they seemed genuiniely interested in what I was interested in, had studied, etc.).

I generally just talked with each person I met with about my employement history, what I learned from those positions, projects I had worked on at school, what I am interested in, etc. There were no questions like "how do you detect a cycle in a linked list" etc. I assume because my resume and GPA spoke for itself.

After the interview, I was offered a position about two weeks later and started a couple weeks after that.

Interview Questions
    • An interviewer asked about the Fast Fourier Transform, but not as an interview question, he was just excited that I knew what it was and could talk about it. He asked how I would address a particular problem with the FFT, which was easy to answer.   Answer Question
    As a fresh-out-of-college employee there was not much negotiation to be done.

Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hagerstown, MD
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hagerstown, MD

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Sierra Nevada Corporation in November 2012.

On-site recruiter called me to see if I would have an interest in working for Sierra Nevada Corp. After the phone interview with recruiter I was then asked to complete an online interview with the VP of the department. After the online interview I was then asked to travel to Hagerstown for a panel interview.

Interview Questions
    • Most questions were straight forward and I felt very comfortable during the interview process   Answer Question

Engineering Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Sierra Nevada Corporation.

ok

take it or leave it

Systems Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Sierra Nevada Corporation in March 2014.

Initial screening call with a talent specialist before they brought me in for an on-site interview. I had help from an acquaintance so I believe I skipped the phone interview phase. On-site involved a one-on-one with my potential manager then an interview with three senior engineers/managers. I also had a brief interview with two directors in another program for a second position. The trip lasted a little over three hours, including meeting with HR.

Interview Questions
    • Standard questions about background and experiences, including to get an understanding of motivation and willingness to take on new challenges and responsibility.   Answer Question
    SNC requires a response to their offer within 48 hours and would not extend this deadline.

General Counsel Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sparks, NV

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Sierra Nevada Corporation in November 2011.

The company's communication were responsive and profession from the beginning of the process to the end. The intereviewer were professional, knowledgeable and friendly, and gave me good insight into the company's culture and values.

Interview Questions
    The company was open to negotiation and very fair in their approach.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sparks, NV

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Sierra Nevada Corporation in June 2012.

The first interview consisted of a phone interview lasting a little under an hour. They asked the details of my resume, asked what kind of extra expierence I may have had, and asked me to detail a project that I had mentioned in my resume as much as possible. It seemed they were trying to test the waters to make sure I wasn't making it up but it was expected. The second interview was more like an introduction. I was led around the building, had flattering questions asked of me, nothing too in depth and there was no coding test, something that made me feel like finally my education and expierience can speak for itself. After this it was a number of weeks before I was working for them.

Interview Questions
    • They asked me to diagram a specific function in a code I wrote, something that I was proud of making. They didn't require me to write down the code, just explain the logic. It surprised me that for a software engineering position I wasn't being overly and stupidly tested.   Answer Question

Senior Test Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Centennial, CO

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Sierra Nevada Corporation in April 2013.

Was put in contact with SNC through a recruiting agency. The recruiting agency took me to lunch, talked about my resume, experience, and what kind of job I was seeking. The next week they arranged a phone interview. The following week I was asked in for an on-site. They made their decision and first offer the next day.

Interview Questions
    • We're a quick response company that is not as focused on rigorous processes as our competitors; Do you see that as a problem?   Answer Question

While the benefits were good, I was offered significantly more total compensation by a competitor.