Sierra Nevada Corporation

Updated Feb 18, 2015
Updated Feb 18, 2015

2.6

Mechanical Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Sierra Nevada Corporation.

Like many employees here, I was referred by a friend. I interviewed onsite and was given an offer right away. Everyone seemed very friendly.

Interview Questions
    • My interview was semi-technical, but really more of a skills assessment. I don't remember any particularly difficult questions.   Answer Question
    They were very unyielding in my attempt to negotiate vacation - I was only asking for the same vacation I had at the time with another company, but they stuck me with 2 weeks. They gave me my asking salary, but in hindsight it was pretty low.

Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Centennial, CO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Centennial, CO

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Sierra Nevada Corporation in October 2013.

A contact helped me get started with the process/application, and I was contacted within two days from submitting the application and resume. I had an initial interview approximately one week later, and then had a hiring interview approx three weeks after that via webcam and phone (The ISR Division of SNC is based in Centennial, CO). Part of the delay was determining how to conduct the interview, as I was not in the continental US. Normally, a third interview could be conducted on site, but I did not do this due to being OCONUS. I received initial clearance and drug testing paperwork about one week later. It took 1-2 weeks after that to negotiate the verbal offer, and I received the written offer another 1-2 weeks after that. Overall process took 5-6 weeks.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked standard program management questions; nothing difficult or unexpected. I did review 3-4 websites with program management interview questions (some had possible answers.)   Answer Question
    I received what I asked for plus a sign-on bonus. I did ask to forego a benefit in place of additional bonus and recieved a partial concurrence.
    SNC already has a great benefits package and fantastic corporate climate. I'm excited to be part of the SNC family.

Aerospace Engineer II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Louisville, CO

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Sierra Nevada Corporation in August 2013.

Series of phone interviews with HR and the hiring manager. Afterward, an interview trip was scheduled for a short series of interviews. Process moved quickly once the initial contact was made. The questions were pretty basic.

Interview Questions
    • The questions were relatively easy. Most were something like: "Tell us your experience working on [insert skill here]".   Answer Question
    No real negotiation on salary.

Manager I Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Sierra Nevada Corporation.

The entire process was pretty simple. Talent Acquisition specialist did a phone interview/per-screen. Scheduled an in-person interview with hiring manager and a peer level employee. One week later was scheduled for a follow-up "Green Interview" which was a video teleconference. Then a week later received a verbal offer. Smooth and communicative hiring process. They let me know what/why things were happening up and after on-boarding.

Interview Questions
    • No really hard questions mostly just related to my specific field.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sparks, NV
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sparks, NV

I applied through other source. The process took a dayinterviewed at Sierra Nevada Corporation in July 2013.

SNC's engineering/management hiring is a joke. They simply don't know what they are doing when it comes to hiring, and they think that they can just google questions to ask. They are a defense contractor, but if you want to know anything about any one of their projects, just interview for a position with one. They will sit there with their buds all in on the same interview (woo, meeting time = free soda! 30 mins? Better charge an hour and a half.), and talk about how great their project is, even down to minutia of how it works.

Interview Questions
    • And when the interview is over, you realize they didn't ask you a single challenging question, unless it was some small engineer in the back who realizes they are going to hire a doofus and is trying to pipe up to save the project or comapny. No matter, the manager or two guys from the project assigned to 'hire' just have to like you. There might also be a third person in on the interview, who those two know, and they think to themselves, for example, "this SNC guy out in Timbuktu knows RF. I know RF stands for Radio Frequency, and I think this job needs wireless stuff, so I'll invite him to the interview as well." Your resume gets plopped into a shared folder where it might get deleted on accident, and your name gets placed on a spreadsheet where they have people who may have overheard the conversation give a thumbs up or down. Most of this is done on project time and money, and SNC employees must 'ALWAYS be on a charge number, even if it's borderline or plain unethical. They are starting to utilize more the 'official hiring folk' from up front who think they know best, but really have no clue what an engineer is supposed to do, and so unfortunately these people will filter out the real good people. Your best bet is to try to contact an engineer on a team to get your name past those guys.   Answer Question
    Low ball, slightly higher low ball + guilt trip, 150% matching for 10% of income? "good" medical? ok. I don't have time to do the math in my head so i suppose I'll accept.

Engineering Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Poway, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Poway, CA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Sierra Nevada Corporation.

The job post appeared in February for this specific location. Got the email and phone contact of the HR recruiter from a friend who worked as an intern there and started the conversation early. Was contacted in mid-May for an official interview the next week. It was a 5 person interview, with one person on the phone. Very welcoming people, nothing extremely difficult. My interview was longer than other interns, about 30 minutes compared to the standard 20 they were doing, but there was more on my resume to talk about.

Interview Questions
    • I brought along a prop to the interview; an injection plate for a liquid rocket I had machined out of aluminum with some friends. One of the technical interviewers on the panel was convinced that it could not handle the pressure of the size of rocket we were going for and suggested brass as the material instead, saying the aluminum would fail for sure. I defended myself by giving examples of the design's success when used by other neighboring university rockets, but he said that they must have been extremely lucky.   Answer Question
    Their starting offer is more or less the same in all locations. One can argue based off of location and cost of living (ie California) to get a slightly higher offer.

Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 7+ weeksinterviewed at Sierra Nevada Corporation.

Initially contacted by recruiter after I submitted the resume online. He set up a phone interview with three engineering manager. On site interview happened about one month later including one on one with five individuals. Then the decision was made about two weeks afterwards

Interview Questions
    • Every question was expected. They are rather technical than behavior   Answer Question

Senior Test Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Centennial, CO
    Anonymous Employee in Centennial, CO

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Sierra Nevada Corporation in April 2013.

Was put in contact with SNC through a recruiting agency. The recruiting agency took me to lunch, talked about my resume, experience, and what kind of job I was seeking. The next week they arranged a phone interview. The following week I was asked in for an on-site. They made their decision and first offer the next day.

Interview Questions
    • We're a quick response company that is not as focused on rigorous processes as our competitors; Do you see that as a problem?   Answer Question

While the benefits were good, I was offered significantly more total compensation by a competitor.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hagerstown, MD
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hagerstown, MD

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Sierra Nevada Corporation in November 2012.

On-site recruiter called me to see if I would have an interest in working for Sierra Nevada Corp. After the phone interview with recruiter I was then asked to complete an online interview with the VP of the department. After the online interview I was then asked to travel to Hagerstown for a panel interview.

Interview Questions
    • Most questions were straight forward and I felt very comfortable during the interview process   Answer Question

Systems Test Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Louisville, CO

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at Sierra Nevada Corporation in September 2012.

I made initial contact by submitting my resume into the black hole of the online resume submission sysem, and never heard back, so I went to a Job Fair that the company held in Denver, after which things proceeded very quickly. I had my initial interview at the Job Fair, then my on-site interview was the next day. The on-site interview consisted of meeting a manager, then three of the people I would prospectively be working with, then talking with HR. They gave me a tour of the facility, and that was it - it was a realtively quick on-site interview, about 3.5 - 4 hours. By the end of the next week I had received an offer (contingent on passing a background check) and the paperwork to complete the background check and drug screening (which are both required for all employees). Less than a month after the Job Fair I started my first day of work. This was apparently a-typical - from what I have heard since, it sounds like it generally takes longer to complete the whole process, but I found it to be quick and easy.

Interview Questions
    • HR asked a couple of the generic "tell me about a day when you just had a bad day" type questions that are always hard to come up with on the spot - be prepared for some of that type of generic question. There were also some technical questions, but nothing too specific.   Answer Question
    I did not negotiate, which was not all that wise. You should negotiate a little.