Silicon Laboratories Interview Questions in Austin, TX

Updated Mar 2, 2015

3.1

Field Applications Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Silicon Laboratories.

I found out about Silicon Labs through my University career networking site. I saw that they had a relevant position to my experience and interests, and I received an email requesting an interview promptly. They were remarkably accommodating, and they helped me get through the interview process quickly to . It is a serial interview with various staff members. They are all knowledgeable and amiable, so the best advice is to relax. Although I was an exception to the norm, they made an offer within 24 hours, and I accepted their offer over multiple other companies. Do your research and know the company and industry before the interview.

Interview Questions
    There is really no need to negotiate.

Design Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Silicon Laboratories.

First had a phone call with the hiring manager. He asked a couple of basic IC-level design questions over the phone. Then I had another phone call with another member of the team. He also asked some basic questions on EE fundamentals (RLC networks, etc). After these two interviews, they flew me out to Austin for an on-site interview. This interview is not for the faint of heart. I met with 10 people over the course of 8 hours. This included one non-technical meeting with an HR person and a lunch outing with one person. The remaining 8 meetings were technical interviews. These interviews included meeting with very technical people including distinguished engineers and fellows in the company. The questions were very IC-design-level focused. Make sure you know all of your IC fundamentals: current mirrors, diff pairs, noise analysis, miller compensation, etc. The questions were some of the hardest I've ever had in an interview, but it seems like they don't expect you to actually know 100% of the answers. I was made an offer about a week after the interview.

Interview Questions
    • What happens when you have a diff pair with a current mirror load on top and a tail current source on the bottom, and you sweep one of the diff pairs gate voltage (VX) from 0 to VDD while holding the other's gate voltage at VDD/2. Plot the two branch currents vs the gate voltage.   View Answer
    There is definitely room for some negotiation if you have other offers. Can't hurt to ask.

NCG Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Silicon Laboratories in April 2013.

Contacted on phone. Went well. Called for onsite interview. Fast and organized.

Interview Questions
    • Gave me a PLL circuit. Asked me to write C code to set it up for a given frequency.   Answer Question
    • Write C code to configure a UART Receiving side. Had given the hardware manual   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Silicon Laboratories in March 2013.

I found the position at my campus career fair and was selected for an interview a few weeks later. The interview was mostly technical. I found out about a week later that I was not selected for the next round. Overall, it was a simple and pleasant process. I regret not reviewing the related course material enough beforehand.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about an interesting project you have worked on.   Answer Question

Product Test Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Silicon Laboratories in May 2012.

The on campus interview is about opamp and nyquist theorem. The time domain analysis of opamp is asked. The on site interview is about projects I've done before, simple IC design questions regarding opamp, and some about RF front ends.

Interview Questions
    • There are questions require practical experience, like put a diode to avoid peaks.   Answer Question
    I didn't negotiate, it's a summer internship.

Applications Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Silicon Laboratories in March 2012.

First, I received a phone call from the hiring hiring manager to set up the interview. The 1st phone interview lasted about an hour with the hiring manager and a team member. They explained the kind of products their department makes and then asked me about my academic experience and interests. I was asked to go through, in detail, about any projects that I was involved in and went through my resume.

I was called within a week for a 2nd phone interview and they asked me to elaborate on a specific project of mine, and I was given options for the projects to discuss (listed on my resume). They wanted to know exactly how what the steps involved, both software and hardware in a lot of detail.

Interview Questions
    I was contacted by the recruiter 2 days after my 2nd phone interview. He let me know the starting and end dates. Asked me how much I expected to get paid. I was offered more than my expectation. Went very smooth and the whole process from the initial contact to offer was 2 weeks.

Design Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

scheduled by HR, then had two phone interviews, very technicle, the guys are very friendly.
    on site interviewers were generally nice and asked reasonabl questions in the area.

Interview Questions
    • Hiring manager has strong accent and can't be understood.   Answer Question

Staff Design Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Silicon Laboratories in October 2011.

The entire process was well done from scheduling of the phone screen, to the on-site interviews with the team to the immediate follow up with an offer from the recruiting staff.

Interview Questions
    • Full flow design questions; front end to backend digital design.   View Answer
    The recruiter did a good job of understanding my current compensation and my expectations so there was no need to negotiate.

Hardware Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Silicon Laboratories in April 2011.

I was asked several questions on both software and hardware. for software he asked the senior design- a comunication application. For hardware question asked RC time constant, and some analog filters and transfer functions.

Interview Questions
    • The interviewer drawed an opamp with a Miller cap across it, and asked is this a low pass filter or high pass filter.   Answer Question

Engineering Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

The process took a dayinterviewed at Silicon Laboratories in September 2010.

Submitted resume via email in response to job opening listed on university job board. Received a call about two weeks later from a technical manager. Asked me some general questions about what my goals were and what my favorite type of circuit was e.g. ADC, DAC etc.