Silicon Laboratories Interview Questions

Updated Oct 14, 2014

Design Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Silicon Laboratories.

First had a phone call with the hiring manager. He asked a couple of basic IC-level design questions over the phone. Then I had another phone call with another member of the team. He also asked some basic questions on EE fundamentals (RLC networks, etc). After these two interviews, they flew me out to Austin for an on-site interview. This interview is not for the faint of heart. I met with 10 people over the course of 8 hours. This included one non-technical meeting with an HR person and a lunch outing with one person. The remaining 8 meetings were technical interviews. These interviews included meeting with very technical people including distinguished engineers and fellows in the company. The questions were very IC-design-level focused. Make sure you know all of your IC fundamentals: current mirrors, diff pairs, noise analysis, miller compensation, etc. The questions were some of the hardest I've ever had in an interview, but it seems like they don't expect you to actually know 100% of the answers. I was made an offer about a week after the interview.

Interview Questions
    • What happens when you have a diff pair with a current mirror load on top and a tail current source on the bottom, and you sweep one of the diff pairs gate voltage (VX) from 0 to VDD while holding the other's gate voltage at VDD/2. Plot the two branch currents vs the gate voltage.   View Answer
    There is definitely room for some negotiation if you have other offers. Can't hurt to ask.

Embedded Developer Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Silicon Laboratories.

I got a call from Silicon labs. He started to ask me from the very basics of Electrical Engineering and Programming like what is a hexadecimal no., What is dBm and dB. Difference between both.

Applications Engineer-mcu Prod Div Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Silicon Laboratories in May 2014.

Applied on linkedin. Was contacted by a recruiter in a week and scheduled a phone interview on the next day. They basically asked questions from my projects that I mentioned on my resume. And also about different tools that I have used. And there were questions like, what problems did you face when doing this particular project, how did you deal with it etc. They asked me about all the projects on the resume which were relevant to the role. It was not so difficult.

They flew me to Boston for an onsite after 2 weeks. Had 5 rounds - all technical. It started off with a tour of their office and different engineering teams working there. The rounds were on RF concepts, PCB Design, Power System Design, C Programming and Wireless Networks.

It was a good experience overall, except that I did not have PCB Design experience. And that was the reason they said, they wouldn't move further in the process.

Interview Questions
    • I found questions on Power System Design a little tricky, as I have very less idea on it.   Answer Question

Applications Engineer Interview

got an on-campus interview, the manager is nice, after going through my resume, he asked he for details of my favorite experience on the resume. Then he asked me to illustrate the data structure of a cards shuffling mechanism.

Interview Questions
    • illustrate the data structure of a cards shuffling mechanism.   Answer Question

Digital Design Engineer Interview

On campus interview, then phone interview. Process is slow

Interview Questions
    • How to find if a chip has hold or setup time violation in a lab?   Answer Question

Analog Circuit Design Interview

Made the application and got the On-campus interview opportunity

Aisc Design Entry Level Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Silicon Laboratories in October 2013.

on campus interview

Interview Questions
    • all easy ones, like set up/hold time, draw NAND NOR on transistor level, blocking vs. non-blocking, also asked questions about projects on resume. all easy question. People are very nice also!! My friends were also asked about adder types, and wrote some easy verilog designs   Answer Question

Summer Internship Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Silicon Laboratories in October 2013.

It was an on campus interview, that took place when I just got to united states for one month. But I can tell it was a fairly easy interview though lots of the interview questions I haven't study yet. The interviewer is nice and encouraging. The process is nearly 30 min.

Interview Questions
    • He asked me to write VHDL code. But it is not that hard   Answer Question

Applications Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Silicon Laboratories.

one on campus interview about some general questions for the resume, and then my intern manager give me a call and ask more in detail with my undergrad courses projects and relevant MCU and application based questions

Interview Questions
    • discuss in detail about one of my undergrad project, It has been a long time   Answer Question

Product Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Silicon Laboratories.

Phone screen first with hiring manager. Next step was a dinner meeting with management and peers! Then on site formal interviews all day. Expect to get asked lots of technical questions, even for marketing positions.

Interview Questions
    • Ohm's law question. (I guess it is good to check even the basics.)   Answer Question
    Salary low ball, but almost anything is negotiable if they decide they want you enough. Except vacation.