Silicon Laboratories Interview Questions

Updated Apr 3, 2015

3.1

Recruiting Interview

Interview

Had a positive phone interview with hiring manager. Hiring manager let me know that I would be contacted within a week regarding next steps. I followed up multiple times, but never heard from Silicon Labs again.

Overall - Terrible candidate experience.

Analog Design Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Silicon Laboratories.

Interview

I have been interview for 3 times to get the offer. It takes totally about 1 month for the whole process. The people interviewing me are very nice and the questions are friendly. They will help you to find the answer.

Interview Questions

• transistor basics, OTA, ADC fundamentals, pll, ring VCO   Answer Question

Field Applications Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Silicon Laboratories (Austin, TX).

Interview

I found out about Silicon Labs through my University career networking site. I saw that they had a relevant position to my experience and interests, and I received an email requesting an interview promptly. They were remarkably accommodating, and they helped me get through the interview process quickly to . It is a serial interview with various staff members. They are all knowledgeable and amiable, so the best advice is to relax. Although I was an exception to the norm, they made an offer within 24 hours, and I accepted their offer over multiple other companies. Do your research and know the company and industry before the interview.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

There is really no need to negotiate.

Software Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Silicon Laboratories (Boston, MA).

Interview

Spoke to a representative at a campus career fair. Heard back via email two weeks later for a 45 minute on-campus interview. The interview was technical, mostly just the basics of C/Java. Got recommended further for a 30 minute phone interview. Here I was supposed code in a shared online document. It didn't work so we ended up just discussing my course work. After the phone interview I got invited for an on-site interview in the Boston office. The on-site interview consisted of a 30 minute tour of the company and 4 back to back 50 minute interviews. The interviews were pretty different in nature but the first three were technical. The last one was more laid back. Every person I met during the process was very professional easy to talk to.

Interview Questions

• How would you design a program to cut a piece of cardboard into pieces for a box, getting the dimensions of the box and size of the cardboard piece as input? Take the thickness of the cardboard into consideration.   Answer Question

Interview

I got an email asking to setup a phone interview after handing my resume to a recruiter on campus. He asked me basic questions about my research, as well as basic questions about object oriented programming( I had mentioned I knew C++). Overall, very professional and easy to talk to.

Digital Design Engineer Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Silicon Laboratories.

Interview

Quite rigorous. Had four rounds of interviews. The interviewers were very good and kind to talk to. If you get stuck in a question, they will help you out.

Software Engineering Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Silicon Laboratories in November 2014.

Interview

I got the initial interview by handing one of the company reps a resume at a career fair. I did a 1.5 hour phone interview and then a 1 hour skype interview with two different members of the team. Then I came to their site and had 5 back to back interviews for 45 minutes each. The majority of each of the interviews was technical. Some members asked about different things such as java or C.

Interview Questions

• Write out an algorithm for checking if a communication channel is clear in C   Answer Question

Design Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Silicon Laboratories (Austin, TX).

Interview

First had a phone call with the hiring manager. He asked a couple of basic IC-level design questions over the phone. Then I had another phone call with another member of the team. He also asked some basic questions on EE fundamentals (RLC networks, etc). After these two interviews, they flew me out to Austin for an on-site interview. This interview is not for the faint of heart. I met with 10 people over the course of 8 hours. This included one non-technical meeting with an HR person and a lunch outing with one person. The remaining 8 meetings were technical interviews. These interviews included meeting with very technical people including distinguished engineers and fellows in the company. The questions were very IC-design-level focused. Make sure you know all of your IC fundamentals: current mirrors, diff pairs, noise analysis, miller compensation, etc. The questions were some of the hardest I've ever had in an interview, but it seems like they don't expect you to actually know 100% of the answers. I was made an offer about a week after the interview.

Interview Questions

• What happens when you have a diff pair with a current mirror load on top and a tail current source on the bottom, and you sweep one of the diff pairs gate voltage (VX) from 0 to VDD while holding the other's gate voltage at VDD/2. Plot the two branch currents vs the gate voltage.   1 Answer

Negotiation

There is definitely room for some negotiation if you have other offers. Can't hurt to ask.

Embedded Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Silicon Laboratories.

Interview

I got a call from Silicon labs. He started to ask me from the very basics of Electrical Engineering and Programming like what is a hexadecimal no., What is dBm and dB. Difference between both.

Applications Engineer-mcu Prod Div Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Silicon Laboratories (Boston, MA) in May 2014.

Interview

Applied on linkedin. Was contacted by a recruiter in a week and scheduled a phone interview on the next day. They basically asked questions from my projects that I mentioned on my resume. And also about different tools that I have used. And there were questions like, what problems did you face when doing this particular project, how did you deal with it etc. They asked me about all the projects on the resume which were relevant to the role. It was not so difficult.

They flew me to Boston for an onsite after 2 weeks. Had 5 rounds - all technical. It started off with a tour of their office and different engineering teams working there. The rounds were on RF concepts, PCB Design, Power System Design, C Programming and Wireless Networks.

It was a good experience overall, except that I did not have PCB Design experience. And that was the reason they said, they wouldn't move further in the process.

Interview Questions

• I found questions on Power System Design a little tricky, as I have very less idea on it.   Answer Question