Silicon Valley Bank Interview Questions

Updated Mar 11, 2015

2.9

Intern Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Silicon Valley Bank.

I met with 6 different employees with varying levels of "importance". Overall, a more laid back interview with very personable professionals. A lot of the interview was based on "fitting in", not just technical knowledge. The process took about 2 hours, meeting with each person for 20 minutes. They enjoyed that I had done my research, but also talked about the job description and the lifestyle at SVB often. All interviewers were extremely nice and portrayed a laid back, yet hard working style.

Associate II Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Silicon Valley Bank.

Interviewers were the Sector Head, SCO, MD, and team members. One on one interviews were with the Sector Head, SCO and MD. The less senior team members came in as a panel of 2.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing technical and I thought it was very easy. I thought the questions were design to see how engaging the candidate is.   View Answer

Summer Analyst Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Silicon Valley Bank in February 2015.

I applied online, had 2 phone interviews. The first was with one of their associates and was mostly behavioral and to see if you know anything about venture capital. The second one was a phone interview with 2 associates and was a little more in depth about the industry but still mostly just measuring for fit and willingness to learn.

Interview Questions
    • What are some start-ups that you have been looking at and why do you like them.   Answer Question
    • Explain how the venture capital process works from beginning to end.   Answer Question

Tech Valuation Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Silicon Valley Bank in February 2015.

Several phone interviews with different Directors at SVB Analytics, followed by a brief, automated HireVue web interview, then flown to the SF offices for 8 in-person interviews. Two follow-up phone interviews to conclude, with several calls with the Senior Recruiter interspersed. Focus revolved around financial skill set compatibility rather than majority of time ensuring a cultural fit.

Interview Questions
    • How extensive is your financial training or education?   Answer Question

Associate II Interview

Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA
    Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA

The interview process was an overall positive experience, but a bit unorganized. It was rather difficult to arrange an in-person interview but eventually we were able to find a time that worked. I met with multiple members of the team all in one morning.I could tell that some of the interviewers had previously looked at my resume but others had not. All were very personable and spoke highly of their current position at SVB which was nice to hear.

Associate Development Program Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Silicon Valley Bank.

Very interesting process - the College Recruiter was awesome and friendly. He puts you at ease and just has a normal conversation. From there I did a video interview which was really convenient and easy to use. After that it took some time to hear back (the recruiter prepared me that this would happen) and then I was contacted by the manager about the role. We had a good conversation and I was ultimately selected for the position. Overall it was an easy and well organized process.

No negotiation really

Associate Development Program Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Silicon Valley Bank in November 2014.

Submitted my application online. Was contacted within a week for phone screening, which was only really consisted of basic behavioral questions (e.g. "Tell me about yourself." "Why SVB?"). After that, had to complete a digital interview, which were slightly more detailed. I did not care for the format of the digital interview but understand its purpose.

Interview Questions
    • Identify your core values and how do they make you stand out against the competition?   Answer Question

Associate Development Program Interview

Applied online, recruiter contacted me the following day for phone screen. The phone screen went well and I moved on to a digital interview which was set up for the following week. I was never contacted after that, but had back and forth emails with the recruiter (about 7-10x). The recruiter had given me dates on when I would hear back, but those dates were never met. It was pushed back so many times until I finally hear from the hiring manager 3-4 weeks later, who set up another call with me. I was supposed to hear back from her the following week and never did. So all in all, the recruiters and hiring managers do not get back to you regarding next steps like they say they will. After emailing them over 7x for a response and having them fail to act upon their own words, I realized that this is not the type of company I would want to join.

ADP Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Silicon Valley Bank.

Applied online, was contacted by the recruiter to set up a phone screen. The phone screen went well, and I was scheduled for a digital interview through HireVue. Before we finished the call, the recruiter wanted to let me know upfront that the salary for all associates of the ADP program is 50k and non-negotiable. He also let me know that I would be hearing from him regardless of if I move on to the next round or not. Three weeks after the digital interview, and I still heard nothing back from him, even after I emailed him twice. After the third email I sent him, I received an automated response about an hour later explaining that I was not going to move on. So after promising that he would get back to me good or bad, and two emails later, he couldn't even send me anything other than an automated email.

ADP Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Silicon Valley Bank.

The process was really easy. Sent in my resume through a referral (they hire a great deal through referrals). I had three interviews in one day with my three managers that were strictly behavioral. No difficult questions, they just wanted to make sure I was somebody that was willing to work hard but also could fit in with the culture of the company. Be yourself. Received a call a few days later that I was being offered the position.

Interview Questions
    • What do you like to do for fun? What do you find most interesting about banking?   Answer Question