SilkRoad Technology

1 Candidate Interview Review Back to all interviews

Technical Writer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA
Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at SilkRoad Technology in June 2011.

Perhaps because I was referred by a friend who is an employee or because my resume showed that I clearly had the desired experience, no telephone interview was required. Over the course of 2.5 hours, I interviewed with 5 employees, including the hiring manager, the head of development, the lead engineer, and two potential team mates. The lead engineer did ask a question that exposed the biggest weakness in my experience, but he seemed satisfied with my response that I had worked in similar areas and that technical writing is, by definition, about learning new software.

Interview Questions
  • "I don't want to talk about your resume, so just tell me what you think I should know that isn't on it."   View Answer
  • How do you go about documenting Web Services?   View Answer
Immediately after the interview, the hiring manager offered me the job. The salary was competitive, even perhaps on the high side to make up for slightly sub-par benefits. There was really nothing to negotiate except the start date and my need for a bit of time off within the first couple of months. The company has a very flexible PTO policy, and I'm confident that my manager and I will handle my need to be out of town when the time comes.