SilverSky Interview Questions

2.6

Interviews for Top Jobs at SilverSky

Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at SilverSky (Raleigh, NC) in February 2015.

Interview

I was a passive candidate and contacted via LinkedIn. I was contacted for 4-5 positions. Only one position was my experience appropriate, so I expressed interest for an interview. I spoke with the hiring manager and that manager's boss. I was never provided feedback and my emails went unanswered. I felt it was not only extremely unprofessional but obvious my interaction was purely to meet 'column fodder' against candidates they already had in mind. It was a complete waste of time, inappropriate and resulted in unattractive future employment options for me.

Interview Questions

• How did I handle a project that went off timeline? How did I set expectations with client?   Answer Question

Finance Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milford, CT

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at SilverSky (Milford, CT).

Interview

Started interview process with the recruiter. Over the following two weeks I had three interviews. Started with direct manager and ended with an interview with the CEO. Senior management was able to create a comfortable environment in which to discuss the company's financial goals and challenges and how I could fit into solving and improving this environment.

Interview Questions

• The request to review the basics of calculating the FAS 141/141r.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Excellent offer. Very little negotiation needed.

Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at SilverSky (New York, NY) in August 2011.

Interview

spoke to 2 internal managers. Sales manager and the SVP.

Interview Questions

• Why should I hire you type of question always gets me lol.   Answer Question

Engineering Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

The process took 2 daysinterviewed at SilverSky (Boston, MA) in December 2010.

Interview

Completed a 1:1 phone screen. Felt confident about the results of the phone screen. Was brought in for a face-to-face interview. The interviewers were far more interested in process than in actual work experience. Great group of people.

Interview Questions

• Describe for me the Agile process executed in your present company and if it was successful.   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at SilverSky in May 2012.

Interview

Overall: Disappointing. I saw the requisition for the position, which sounded right up my alley because I have all of the experience--and then some--specified in the job description. I received a response within days of my online submission and a telephone interview with the hiring manager and VP was set up shortly after. I began researching the company, and the reviews weren't very good. Although most of the reviewers stated that the managers were great and there were a lot of learning opportunities, apparently the company has had a lot of executive level turnover and churn. The most common negative comment about the company was that they need to define what their vision is and stick to it. Most of the respondents seem to have felt that the executive management weren't on top of it, which caused confusion in the ranks. One felt that everyone hated working there; another that no one was willing to help anyone else; another that the project managers were inept and many projects were managed and technology implemented in a shoddy manner, where there was no control and no accountability. Obviously, these comments were a little off-putting, but you have to take them with a grain of salt since these respondents were obviously disgruntled. The interview itself went well, even though it wasn't exactly what I expected. I was prepared for a technical interview, but it had the feel of a phone screen. The hiring manager wasn't initially present in on call, and the VP called me. When asked if the recruiter had explained the position to me, I replied in the affirmative. He went on to talk about various positions in the organization that were open, some full time, some contract, and I was a little confused by this. I was asked: "Can you describe what you have been doing for the last five years." I began describing my experience, and a few minutes later, the hiring manager called me while I was still on the phone. Since I couldn't possibly answer while I was already speaking to the VP, it went to voicemail. Shortly after that, he joined the conference call on their end. I continued to describe my experience over the last five years. After that, I was asked if I had any questions. I specifically expressed my initial confusion about the mention of the other positions earlier. It was then explained that the position I had been targeting had been filled, but that there was an open position for a Sr. Exchange Administrator and other contract positions for messaging migration that were six months in duration. They emphasized that the contracts could be extended or even converted to full time. They also emphasized that they consider their administrators to be "architects," since many of their job duties are in that area, but that made me cringe. If the administrators often perform the duties of an architect, why aren't they architects instead? The fact that I believed I was interviewing for one position when they were interviewing me for a different position was disappointing. Why didn't they just tell me at the beginning of the interview that the position had been filled? I can only guess that they were reluctant because they felt that I might just not interview at all, which is valid--because I probably wouldn't have. However, now, with the whole bait-and-switch tactic, I'm even more leery. Last, they asked me about my salary requirements. Of course, no one wants to pigeon hole themselves into a specific salary because, really, it's all negotiable. My response was: "I'm not sure because I haven't really considered it yet. Really, I would like to simply retain my standard of living. I live [here] and the cost of living [there] is quite a bit higher, so something that is comparable." Then they asked what my current salary was, then told me that they were "interviewing other candidates" and would get back to me, which I interpreted as a "no, thank you." I'm speculating it was specifically due to my salary requirements. So, in the end, I was disappointed. The interviewers seemed to be good guys, and I didn't find it difficult to communicate with them. But I do value honesty. Were they dishonest? Not in the strictest sense. But they did deceive me by not telling me in advance that the position I thought I was interviewing for was not the same position they *knew* they were interviewing *me* for.

Interview Questions

• The Sr. Exchange Architect position has been filled, but we do have a Sr. Exchange Administrator position open, and we really consider our administrators to be architects because they do a lot of that work.   1 Answer