Simmons Bedding

Updated Dec 12, 2014
Updated Dec 12, 2014

2.7

Senior Territory Manager Interview

Back in 1995 the process was easy. Today I have no idea of what the Simmons interview process consists of. I left the company after nearly 18 years and went on to work for one of their competitors. Since coming over to their competition I have cost them several points of market share in Southern California.

Interview Questions
    Straight commission. More you sell, more you make.

Assistant Production Supervisor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Janesville, WI
    Anonymous Employee in Janesville, WI

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Simmons Bedding in December 2013.

Recruiter initially contacted me and did a short interview, then HR contacted me for a phone interview (lasted about an hour), then the Plant Manager and I did another phone interview (again about an hour), was brought in for a face to face panel interview (they use the star format) that lasted about 2 hours.

Interview Questions
    • Pretty standard, HR did ask repeatedly what it would take to get me to leave my current position.   View Answer

Human Resources Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Simmons Bedding.

Panel interview

there was none

Director Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Simmons Bedding.

Panel interview of peer, subordinate, superior

Retail Account Specialist Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Simmons Bedding.

Applied for the position on line. Received an email from the hiring manager very quickly (within the hour). Hiring Mgr had a few questions based upon background. Hiring Mgr asked for me to confirm with him the following week when the in person interview would be set up.
    Upon calling the hiring mgr I was confirmed for the date and time. I knew that there were 3 other canididates beside myself.
    I then recieved an email from the HR Mgr indicating my scheduled interview time. The fact that they use the STAR Interview Process was emphasized to me several times. I was informed that I would be meeting with the hiring mgr and the director of sales for the region.

My interview consisted of 4 parts, information about my background and experience, information about the job opportunity, my questions related to the job, overall company questions. The whole structure felt like the least organic or natural interview I have ever been a part of.

The final wrap up was the most awkward in my opinion. The director of sales who seem preoccupied through most of the interview concluded our time together with whether I was a fan of both our football and basketball pro sports teams. I answered the questions the honest, yes and no (teams respectively). It may have been pure curiousity, but it felt like he was digging for something deeper. My knowledge of athletics, my sexuality (I'm a male, stereotypically gay men do not know about sports). Which I am gay, but had no reason to disclose that in an interview process. It was an awkward way to wrap up interview an interview process in my opinion.

Finally, also odd was that the HR Mgr was on conference call in the room throughout the interview process, they would refer to him for any questions, yet he did not ask one.

Interview Questions
    • Discribe one thing that you disobeyed your boss, but it turned out for a positive result.   Answer Question

Credit Manager - Hospitality Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Simmons Bedding in April 2013.

My interview was 15 minutes long and really only covered my background. The volume of the position I was interviewing for was never mentioned.

Production Supervisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Leandro, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Simmons Bedding in January 2013.

I was contacted by a recruiter who made it seem like a great opportunity. Interview was scheduled and the HR Manager told me she would call me back to confirm date and time, she never did, so I did not show and she and the recruiter called me wondering where I was and I told her she said she was going to call and never did. I finally get in an the questions were pretty standard. They asked me if I had questions. Of course I did but, after accepting job, I realized that their responsed were lies.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing really. The questions were pretty standard. I felt like it didn't matter what I said as long as I was interested, they were too. Almost too eager because it is a difficult place to work. i would not recommend it on my worst enemy.   Answer Question
    Horrible. They offered 2 weeks of vacation and I was requesting 3 as that was what I was walking away from. I was told that corporate said no that 2 was the maximum, and then I find out that they gave 2 other people 3 when they requested. The benefit package was a big lie. I was told a price of $90 every 2 weeks for a family and it was actually $360 for some crappy benefits.

Quilt Machine Operator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Leandro, CA

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Simmons Bedding in September 2010.

They just wanted to know about previous factory work experience. it's a factory job so no complicated questions.

Interview Questions
    It was take it or leave it. No real negotiation involved

Manufacturing Interview

Anonymous Employee in Hazleton, PA
    Anonymous Employee in Hazleton, PA

The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Simmons Bedding in May 2010.

The interview consists of a panel interview with department supervisor and HR manager. There were a lot of questions that asked to name a certain situation, what were the events, what did you do, and what was the outcome. None of them seemed relevant to the actual job. They want to see how you react in certain situations.

Interview Questions
    • Can you tell me of a time you noticed someone doing something they weren't supposed to? What did you say or do? What was the outcome?   Answer Question

Operations Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Simmons Bedding in January 2009.

Interview at Simmons was a large panel interview that was semi formal and consisted of people from the the department i was interviewing for and similar departments along with HR. The questiones seem to be very bland and not particular to the exact job function i was trying to get.

Interview Questions
    • How does your past/current position assist you in knowing how to manage people.   Answer Question
    • What is difficult about current position.   Answer Question