Simon Fraser University

Updated Nov 4, 2014
Updated Nov 4, 2014

2.6

IT Services/Help Desk Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Simon Fraser University.

The interview is fairly straight forward. Usually a couple people are in the room conducting the interview. There are two parts, AV (Audio Visual) and Computer components to this interview.

Computer:
    Basic knowledge of the computer stricture and components would suffice.

AV:
    Basic terms: XLR, quater inch jack, etc
    Understanding of how a mixer works, EQ and etc

Overall the interview is quite simple.

There was no negotiation

Graphic & Web Designer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Simon Fraser University.

I had two interviews for this process. This included an in-person interview with two of the management staff. They asked to see my portfolio and examples of work, and asked me scenario questions. My second interview was with HR, and I did skills tests. One with Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, and a WPM test. I thought it was strange that they did not test me in my design software skills as this is what the position asked for.

Community Advisor Interview

A two stage process:

1) Group interviews where you go through a series of situations and are asked to solve problems as a group. It is important to work effectively with your group as the individuals evaluating do consider this as a positive attribute.

2) Individual interviews, pretty standard situational questions.

Interview Questions
    • Had to devise the proper response to an in-progress sexual assault.   Answer Question

Research Intern Interview

Applied online and was called for interview

none

Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Burnaby, BC (Canada)

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Simon Fraser University in June 2013.

I contacted him about writing a research grant together to obtain funding for a new project. We met and I presented the research plan on a powerpoint and he went through each slide to ask about details. I was given a tour of the lab and met future coworkers who were very friendly. We applied for a grant which was approved and we started the work.

Interview Questions
    • The whole process was more of a discussion than deliberate questioning, so, there was no difficult question per se.   Answer Question

Junior Business Analyst Interview

It was a panel interview. Started off with some general questions. Then they give you a spot test regarding ER-diagram and SQL command. The interviewers were pretty nice.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing unexpected, most difficult quesiton was what's your greatest weakness.   View Answer

Chemistry Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Simon Fraser University.

I am employed in a similar position in a different city. With a plan to relocate to Vancouver, I applied to this position at SFU. Because my experience is very relevant, I receive the interview invite in a few days. (they don't pay for the traveling expenses). We finally agreed on a skype interview. The interview is sort of organized, with about 30 min of questions - typical; like why you applied, talk about your research experience, lab experience, problem solving experience etc

Program Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Simon Fraser University in June 2012.

Initial contact was made by email from the Hiring Manager.

The interview was a panel interview (3 panelists) and lasted for approximately 40 minutes. During the interview, a series of behavioural questions were asked that focused on organizational and communication skills.

Immediately after the interview there was an in-basket test which tested telephone, database and email communication skills as well as task prioritization.

Once the offer had been made, I was required to take a typing test to prove my typing speed.

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Burnaby, BC (Canada)

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Simon Fraser University in March 2012.

organized, structured interview process comprising three segments, a meet-and-greet with would-be colleagues in order to assess fit (ostensibly), a skills test on computer, and a panel interview with the hiring committee

tough questions on the panel interview, but, fair and reasonable questions were asked - great breadth and depth of questions, however

Interview Questions
    • List a number of relevant agencies pertaining to the subject matter.   Answer Question

Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Surrey, BC (Canada)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Surrey, BC (Canada)

The process took a dayinterviewed at Simon Fraser University in March 2009.

They called on my phone and it took like an hour talk.
    Most of it was technical questions.