Simon Fraser University Interview Questions

Updated Apr 16, 2015

2.8

IT Services/Help Desk Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Simon Fraser University.

Interview

The interview is fairly straight forward. Usually a couple people are in the room conducting the interview. There are two parts, AV (Audio Visual) and Computer components to this interview.

Computer:
    Basic knowledge of the computer stricture and components would suffice.

AV:
    Basic terms: XLR, quater inch jack, etc
    Understanding of how a mixer works, EQ and etc

Overall the interview is quite simple.

Negotiation

There was no negotiation

Grad Student Interview

Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Simon Fraser University (Vancouver, BC (Canada)) in April 2015.

Interview

3 people set in a table ask me questions. including software question, technical questions, behaviour questions, i show them my project and the manager looks pretty good, helpful. I did not do good in the technical question so i guess i don't have offer

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Simon Fraser University in December 2014.

Interview

After applying via email, I was emailed and asked to come in for an interview. I was lead to a room where there were three people in the communications and marketing department who all had a long list of questions. Each person went through their list, each on focusing on different topics (general, technical and how I would behave with co-workers/subordinates, etc.

The interview was relaxed and I was told I could bring in samples of my portfolio and refer to them during the interview process.

It lasted about 45 minutes and that was about it.

My interview was on a Tuesday and heard back from them on Friday.

Interview Questions

• How would I handle a sensitive issue that was brought to me by the member of the public?   Answer Question

Communications & Marketing Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Burnaby, BC (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Simon Fraser University (Burnaby, BC (Canada)) in December 2014.

Interview

1-hour interview with a 3-4 person committee, in basket testing, intensive background check and they call all your references. having a portfolio is ideal but not requested. hr makes sure you qualify for every single job description.

Graphic & Web Designer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Simon Fraser University.

Interview

I had two interviews for this process. This included an in-person interview with two of the management staff. They asked to see my portfolio and examples of work, and asked me scenario questions. My second interview was with HR, and I did skills tests. One with Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, and a WPM test. I thought it was strange that they did not test me in my design software skills as this is what the position asked for.

Community Advisor Interview

Interview

A two stage process:

1) Group interviews where you go through a series of situations and are asked to solve problems as a group. It is important to work effectively with your group as the individuals evaluating do consider this as a positive attribute.

2) Individual interviews, pretty standard situational questions.

Interview Questions

• Had to devise the proper response to an in-progress sexual assault.   Answer Question

Research Intern Interview

Interview

Applied online and was called for interview

Interview Questions

Negotiation

none

Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Burnaby, BC (Canada)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Simon Fraser University (Burnaby, BC (Canada)) in June 2013.

Interview

I contacted him about writing a research grant together to obtain funding for a new project. We met and I presented the research plan on a powerpoint and he went through each slide to ask about details. I was given a tour of the lab and met future coworkers who were very friendly. We applied for a grant which was approved and we started the work.

Interview Questions

• The whole process was more of a discussion than deliberate questioning, so, there was no difficult question per se.   Answer Question

Interview

It was a panel interview. Started off with some general questions. Then they give you a spot test regarding ER-diagram and SQL command. The interviewers were pretty nice.

Interview Questions

• Nothing unexpected, most difficult quesiton was what's your greatest weakness.   1 Answer

Chemistry Technician Interview

Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Simon Fraser University (Vancouver, BC (Canada)).

Interview

I am employed in a similar position in a different city. With a plan to relocate to Vancouver, I applied to this position at SFU. Because my experience is very relevant, I receive the interview invite in a few days. (they don't pay for the traveling expenses). We finally agreed on a skype interview. The interview is sort of organized, with about 30 min of questions - typical; like why you applied, talk about your research experience, lab experience, problem solving experience etc