Simon Fraser University Interview Questions

Updated Jul 4, 2015

IT Services/Help Desk Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Simon Fraser University.

Interview

The interview is fairly straight forward. Usually a couple people are in the room conducting the interview. There are two parts, AV (Audio Visual) and Computer components to this interview.

Computer:
    Basic knowledge of the computer stricture and components would suffice.

AV:
    Basic terms: XLR, quater inch jack, etc
    Understanding of how a mixer works, EQ and etc

Overall the interview is quite simple.

Negotiation

There was no negotiation

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Simon Fraser University.

Interview

Direct online application. Go to SFU website and follow application procedure for each program. If you do not find any potential supervisor then it might be difficult to get the funding for covering tuition and living.

Grad Student Interview

Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Simon Fraser University (Vancouver, BC (Canada)) in April 2015.

Interview

3 people set in a table ask me questions. including software question, technical questions, behaviour questions, i show them my project and the manager looks pretty good, helpful. I did not do good in the technical question so i guess i don't have offer

Applications Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Burnaby, BC (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Simon Fraser University (Burnaby, BC (Canada)) in March 2015.

Interview

Panel interview with team leads, very standard and lots of behaviour questions, not a lot of technical question. After 2 rounds of interviews they asked for reference check, however they never contacted any. I sent two Emails just to get an update, no responses, like you never existed. Do not ask for reference list if you were not intended to call, and also why not reply Emails for just a quick update? that's just not respectful !!

Dean Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Simon Fraser University (Vancouver, BC (Canada)) in March 2015.

Interview

1. The first stage of the process was by phone when I was interviewed by the recruiter who had initially let me know about the position.
    2. The recruiter reported on our conversation to the Search Committee who were interested in hearing more so i was invited back for a face-to-face meeting with the recruiter
    3. Follow-up interview with search committee (10 members)
    4. I had a 2 day campus interview including 2 presentations, meetings with students, staff and faculty 2 x lunches with the search committee, a dinner and 2 x meetings with the VP academic.

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation where I was faced with harassment in the workplace and the strategies I used to address the problem.   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeksinterviewed at Simon Fraser University (Vancouver, BC (Canada)) in February 2015.

Interview

I applied online with a cover letter and resume. I was contacted within 10 days for an interview. Interview was conducted over Skype. Details were provided upfront about the interview, i.e., the duration and the members on the panel. For the panel, there were 3 people representing the Beedie School of Business including 2 representing the Career Management Centre. The questions were mostly behavioural-based. I found the interviewers friendly and professional.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a client that was dissatisfied with the services provided.   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Simon Fraser University in December 2014.

Interview

After applying via email, I was emailed and asked to come in for an interview. I was lead to a room where there were three people in the communications and marketing department who all had a long list of questions. Each person went through their list, each on focusing on different topics (general, technical and how I would behave with co-workers/subordinates, etc.

The interview was relaxed and I was told I could bring in samples of my portfolio and refer to them during the interview process.

It lasted about 45 minutes and that was about it.

My interview was on a Tuesday and heard back from them on Friday.

Interview Questions

• How would I handle a sensitive issue that was brought to me by the member of the public?   Answer Question

Communications & Marketing Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Burnaby, BC (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Simon Fraser University (Burnaby, BC (Canada)) in December 2014.

Interview

1-hour interview with a 3-4 person committee, in basket testing, intensive background check and they call all your references. having a portfolio is ideal but not requested. hr makes sure you qualify for every single job description.

Graphic & Web Designer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Simon Fraser University.

Interview

I had two interviews for this process. This included an in-person interview with two of the management staff. They asked to see my portfolio and examples of work, and asked me scenario questions. My second interview was with HR, and I did skills tests. One with Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, and a WPM test. I thought it was strange that they did not test me in my design software skills as this is what the position asked for.

Community Advisor Interview

Interview

A two stage process:

1) Group interviews where you go through a series of situations and are asked to solve problems as a group. It is important to work effectively with your group as the individuals evaluating do consider this as a positive attribute.

2) Individual interviews, pretty standard situational questions.

Interview Questions

• Had to devise the proper response to an in-progress sexual assault.   Answer Question