Simon & Schuster Interview Questions

Updated Aug 21, 2014
Updated Aug 21, 2014

2.4

Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Simon & Schuster in August 2014.

I applied online and heard back a week later. We discussed two possible imprints where I would fit in best and I chose the one that they suggested, as they based it on my experience and interests. We watched a short video about the imprint too so that I would know more about it. I felt that they were very helpful and nurturing in making sure that not only I was a good fit for them, but that they were a good fit for me too.

Interview Questions
    • They asked me what kinds of books I like to read and what my pursuits were within the publishing industry. They also asked me about my former degree, which was not English or publishing related, and wanted to know why I had initially chosen it. It was a very casual interview.   Answer Question
    There wasn't much negotiation, it is a paid internship.

Publicity Assistant Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Simon & Schuster.

Quick turnaround; I heard back within a few days of interviewing and got an interview within a week of applying. The interview was pretty short because I came though a publishing program and she knew what a lot of my qualifications would be.

Production Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Simon & Schuster.

Met with HR manager and two directors, who I would assist if chosen to fulfill the position. The sit down with the HR manager was delightful. She complimented me for presenting a strong resume and encouraged me to share a bit of my background in further detail.

Interview Questions
    • How long have you been searching for employment   View Answer

Marketing Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Simon & Schuster in February 2014.

I really loved my interview. I was called in mid-February and had an interview at the end of February. I got a call the following week their hiring decision. Sadly, I did not get the job--and I do mean sadly because this was my dream job. However, I could not have asked for a more positive interview experience.

I met separately with three different employees (hiring director, marketing director, and the assistant whose position I would be taking over since she got promoted), and all three were wonderful to speak with. I was incredibly nervous when I first got there, but was quickly set at ease, and was able to pour out my passion for the industry that they shared. I could easily tell that these three women love their jobs, and it was wonderful to see.

They asked me questions that kept me thinking along with standard questions (why publishing, why marketing, why this particular area of publishing, about work experience, etc.). Added up, my conversations with the three employees lasted for just under an hour.

The only thing I wish is that I was told more about what they were looking for so that I could provide how I would fit into that mould. The email I got saying that they chose a different candidate that "better fits their current business needs" turned me off a bit because I didn't feel that they were adequately represented during the interview.

Other than that, it was an amazing experience. It was the perfect balance of relaxed and serious. I hope to apply to more positions and give it a shot again.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked about a course I took in college which I wasn't expecting. If you're entry-level like I am and have classes on your resume, make sure you have something to say about them.   Answer Question

Summer Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Simon & Schuster.

The interview process was very interesting and light. I applied for the internship program through the career page on their website. One week later, I was contacted by an interviewer and had a short interview over the phone. They asked me questions about what kind of books I'm into and why I want to work for the company. I then set up a face-to-face interview for the following week. Both the initial interviewer and HR rep were friendly and easy to speak to. It was a pleasing process and I got offered the job a week later!

Interview Questions
    • There wasn't one. I'm a book worm so the questions about books (my favorite) was right up my alley.   Answer Question
    The internship is not paid, so you'll have to register for credit through your school.

Staff Accountant Interview

Position was found through a recruiter. Met with three individuals - supervisor, hiring manager and HR. They asked basic questions about work history and why I was searching for a new employment opportunity. Provided an opportunity for me to ask questions about the job and the opportunity. Overall the process was pretty straighforward and typical.

Interview Questions
    • The hiring manager noted my employer at the time and asked me if I knew a particular person at the company. The question itself wasn't as alarming as the fact that co-workers learned of my interview through the hiring manager sharing with that individual.   Answer Question

Did not feel the opportunity was a good fit for me after learning more about the position.

Production Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Simon & Schuster.

I was contacted within a few days of submitting my materials and interviewed a few weeks later. I thought the interview went very well, but they never contacted me. After reaching out several times over phone and email, I was told that I was still very high on their list of candidates and should hear back soon. Months have passed and there has been no contact from them since that statement was made.

Interview Questions
    • The interview, both with HR and with Production, was more of a conversation than a series of questions. I didn't feel any questions were unexpected or too difficult.   Answer Question

Summer Editorial Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

The process took a dayinterviewed at Simon & Schuster in March 2011.

A couple emails from HR to confirm an in-person interview. Interview was only 28 minutes; asked about previous experience/why I chose Simon and Schuster/why an interest in editorial/what books I read/what type of supervisor I'm looking for. I was also asked to list three character traits about myself. Fairly standard questions.

Interview Questions
    • why did you choose simon and schuster for your summer internship?   Answer Question

Associate Editor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Simon & Schuster in September 2009.

HR was very nice and polite, tried to make me feel as comfortable as possible.

Interview Questions
    • I don't remember being thrown by any question in particular.   Answer Question
    I accepted the initial offer, no negotiations.

Intern Interview Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

The process took a dayinterviewed at Simon & Schuster in May 2009.

I got an email tell me to call someone in HR. We chatted, when over simple questions like my previous experience, how I found out about the internship. She asked what I was interested in. I mistakenly downplayed one of my major skills which directly related to the area I wanted to intern in, which might be why she told me it was already filled. I was offered two different areas and after I chose one, she asked me questions related to the department. This was much easier than I had assumed.

Interview Questions
    • What would you do to make the public aware of an author?   Answer Question