Interview Question

Interview Tel Aviv-Yafo (Israel)

Simple regex matching.

Tags:
regex
Answer

Interview Answer

5 Answers

This post has been removed.
Please see our Community Guidelines or Terms of Service for more information.

What was the reason of no offer?

Peter on May 15, 2014

I couldn't reach a complete solution for the above question.

Anonymous on May 17, 2014

Here is a complete solution written in C. #include <stdio.h> #include <stdlib.h> #include <string.h> /* * Write a function that implements a minimum regexp engine * where only '.', '*' and '.*' are supported assuming each * pattern requires beginning to end matching (not anywhere matching). * * For instance: * * 'abc' =~ 'abc' (ok) * 'abc' =~ 'a*bc' (ok) * 'aaaaaaabc' =~ 'c*bc' (ko) * 'aaaaaaabc' =~ 'a.*bc' (ok) * 'abbbbaaaaaabc' =~ 'ab*a*b*c' (ok) * 'abbbbaaaaaabc' =~ 'ab*a*h*bc' (ok) * 'bbd' =~ 'b*bbd' (ok) * 'bbd' =~ '.*bbd' (ok) * 'bbd' =~ '.*cbd' (ko) * '' =~ '.*' (ok) */ int string_match_regexp(char *str, char *pattern) { /* * If we ever reached the end of the pattern then * there might be a match depending if we also * reached the end of string see last statement * of this function. */ while (*pattern) { /* * If the next character is a wildcard then * we call recursively into the regexp engine * until we ate enough characters on the way i.e. * until the underlying recursive path succeed * or there is no eligible character to be eaten * anymore. * * This is the "backtracking" piece of the code * since if the underlying call fails we step back * and try again with another character taken out of * the way. */ if (*(pattern + 1) == '*') { while (*str && (*pattern == *str || *pattern == '.')) { if (string_match_regexp(str++, pattern+2)) { return 1; } } pattern += 2; } else { /* * The easy part, if the character pointed by str diverges * from the character pointed by pattern then we bail out * except if pattern points to '.' in which case we keep * going. */ if (*pattern != '.' && *str != *pattern) { return 0; } str++; pattern++; } } /* * Only match if we reached the end of the string as well... */ return !*str; } int main() { printf("(1) %u expect 1\n", string_match_regexp("abc", "abc")); printf("(2) %u expect 1\n", string_match_regexp("abc", "a*bc")); printf("(3) %u expect 0\n", string_match_regexp("aaaaaaabc", "c*bc")); printf("(4) %u expect 1\n", string_match_regexp("aaaaaaabc", "a.*bc")); printf("(5) %u expect 1\n", string_match_regexp("abbbbaaaaaabc", "ab*a*b*c")); printf("(6) %u expect 1\n", string_match_regexp("abbbbaaaaaabc", "ab*a*h*bc")); printf("(7) %u expect 1\n", string_match_regexp("bbd", "b*bbd")); printf("(8) %u expect 1\n", string_match_regexp("bbd", ".*bbd")); printf("(9) %u expect 0\n", string_match_regexp("bbd", ".*cbd")); printf("(10) %u expect 1\n", string_match_regexp("", ".*")); printf("(11) %u expect 1\n", string_match_regexp("", ".*c*")); printf("(12) %u expect 0\n", string_match_regexp("bbbbdbdbdaac", ".*d")); printf("(13) %u expect 1\n", string_match_regexp("bbbb", "b*c*")); printf("(14) %u expect 1\n", string_match_regexp("bbbb", "b*b*c*")); printf("(15) %u expect 1\n", string_match_regexp("abcd", ".*d")); printf("(16) %u expect 0\n", string_match_regexp("abcd", ".*d*c*c*e*hhh*j*.*c*h")); }

Anonymous on May 17, 2014

Contact lists merge (data structure question): public void Merge2ContactsLists(List<string> l1, List<string> l2) { List<string> concatList = l1.AddList(l2); Merge(ref concatList, 0, l1.Count, concatList.Count); } public void Merge(ref List<string> list, int p, int q, int r) { if(p < 0 || q < 0 || r < 0 || p >= list.Count || q >= list.Count || r >= list.Count) return; if(!(p <= q && q <= r)) return; list1Size = q - p + 1; list2Size = r - (q + 1) + 1; List<string> mergedList = new List<string>(list1Size + list2Size); int i = p; int j = q+1; int k = 0; while(i < q && j < r && k < list1Size + list2Size) { if(char.ToLower(list[i]) < char.ToLower(list[j])) { mergedList[k] = list[i]; i++; k++; } else { mergedList[k] = list[j]; j++; k++; } } while(i < q && k < list1Size + list2Size) { mergedList[k] = list[i]; i++; k++; } while(j < r && k < list1Size + list2Size) { mergedList[k] = list[j]; j++; k++; } for(k = 0; k < list1Size + list2Size; k++) { list[p + k] = mergedList[k]; } }

Anonymous on Dec 22, 2014

Add Answers or Comments

To comment on this, Sign In or Sign Up.