Simply Hired

Updated Dec 1, 2014
Updated Dec 1, 2014

2.8

Software Engineer Interview

Worst interview ever, the interviewer ask me one open-ended problem, but what he want to see is if I can come up with the exact same solution that he has.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Simply Hired in March 2012.

I talked to them at the career fair. Several weeks later, I had an 1:1 interview with one of the engineers there. The questions weren't hard and I made it to the on-site interview which should supposedly consist of three interviews and one lunch with the staff. The HR was very nice who gave me a ride from calTrain to the company. They just relocated to a new office building which looks very vacant and the office was almost empty. Two senior staff interviewed me. The interviews were limited to around 30-40 minutes. For the first one, the interviewer spent around 15min to 20min talking about his view on the company which didn't seem very positive. Then he gave me a very vague questions which initially I didn't know either was a brain tease or a technical question. We in the end ran out of time. For the second one, the interviewer gave me a technical question and a brain tease. While I was waiting for the third interview, the HR came in saying that they weren't satisfied with my performance and decided to terminate the interview process. I was walked out of the office building five minutes later. I guess who they are looking for are people who can come up with the solutions quickly. But at the same time, I was very disappointed at their attitude towards candidates: if they want you, they greet you; if they don't, they want you out of their office immediately like trash.

Interview Questions
    • How to find the node where two linked lists are joined?   Answer Question
    • How to find the start position with an empty tank, provided that you have a number of gas stations with same amount of gas but unknown distance between each other?   Answer Question
    • Bit manipulation, how to find the number of 1s in a binary number.   View Answer
    • Brain tease, how to find the stack with 1 more coin among 9 other stacks with same number coins and a weigh.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Simply Hired in November 2011.

I applied online and they asked me to do a phone interview. Phone Interview went very well. The interviewer gave a coding problem and asked to discuss the solution and its best and worst case scenarios.Next the recruiter contacted me and asked for scheduling a onsite meeting including lunch. Met with 5 interviewers on same day. Interview wasnt tough. May be they want to come up with solution faster. Questions included how does web browser works, bit manipulation, simple algorithm. Mostly they were looking for ppl with more of css and html knowledge.

Junior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Simply Hired in November 2011.

I had a technical phone interview wasn't very difficult. Immediately after that had an onsite interview. Around four 1:1 interview all of them white board coding. I did well in three of the interviews, last one was bit vague but I did code the entire problem. Overall went well seemed to have cracked the interviews but didn't get an offer saying my background does not match the position. No idea what went wrong. (1st and 2nd interview were flawless).

Interview Questions
    • Find common node of two singly linked list given the heads of two nodes.   View Answer
    • Find permutations of all alphabets in a given number eg: 1->abc, 2->def, and so on so i/p: 12 o/p: ad ae af bd be bf cd ce cf
      and now generalize for 10 digit number

View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I applied through other source. The process took a dayinterviewed at Simply Hired in October 2011.

Phone interview went okay - they were polite/nice. No follow up.

Interview Questions
    • Some technical questions about detecting values in linked lists.   Answer Question

Program Manager - Small Business Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Simply Hired in August 2011.

I found this posting via their web site. I was initially emailed to schedule a phone interview and thought he was very nice and professional and easy to speak with.

I came in to meet with the VP of Small Business and I found her rather pleasant and really enjoyed speaking with her and hearing her vision for her sector of the company. We met for a little bit after an hour.

I came back a week later to meet with 5 additional managers one being the President of the company. I enjoyed meeting with all of them, but was somewhat shocked at the negativity of the Product Manager. I spent almost 5 hours there.

Many of them had general questions and the president and customer relations manager broke my resume down so make sure not to have any typos (which I realized I did in the interview).

Overall, I thought they were very intelligent with exception to the negativity and/or overwhelmed vibe I got from the Product Manager.

Senior Accountant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Simply Hired in June 2011.

The hiring manager was difficult to get in touch with on phone or through e-mail. Office and staff looked unorganized and unkept. Hiring manager was pleasant and the interview seemed to go in the right direction. Education and experience was a threat to the hiring manager.

Linux Systems Administrator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Simply Hired in February 2011.

There were two phone screens, one very short one with a recruiter and another with the hiring manager, mostly going over the past and future of the position in question. The in-person interview was with a (contractor) incumbent and the hiring manager. The incumbent was late by 20 minutes, and the manager made me wait another 10 before showing up. The initial technical question asked, what happens during a typical web query, though a good overall gauge of technical depth, is too fraught with trivia in the details to be a good use of a senior enough candidate's time.

Interview Questions
    • What happens from when one types "simplyhired.com" into a web browser until the page is displayed?   View Answer
    • What happens from when a server first has power applied until there is an on-screen login prompt?   View Answer

Junior Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Simply Hired in April 2010.

Interview began with an HR phone screen. Technical phone interview was set up for later that day. Asked questions about basic HTML/HTTP, Javascript, Java vs. C++. Onsite interview occurred a week later. Met with Sr. Dev, QA Manager, CEO. Dev asked coding questions. QA and CEO asked behaviorial. Final round of interviews several days later, software fundamental questions asked.

Interview Questions
    • What is the complexity of using a try/catch statement in Java vs. C++?   Answer Question

Junior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Simply Hired in February 2010.

I first had two phone screens with their senior QA manager and CTO. They ask you to explain technical terms. After that, I had an onsite interview. I met their Technical Lead, QA manager, CTO, and President. Only the technical lead guy ask coding questions/puzzles/database questions. Both the QA manager and CTO have spoken on the phone with me. The manager lady asks many behavioral questions. The CTO asks about the same set of questions (HTTP, how do browsers work,...etc) as during phone screens. The President asks more behavioral questions to understand your characteristics. After the onsite, they haven't get back to me until 4 weeks later. They ask for another onsite interview. I met their QA manager, CTO again and CEO at this time. Their CEO is a really elegant leader. I enjoy talking with him very much. I got an offer the day after but instead of full-time position, they make it a contract to hire one. I think they are very cautious about hiring people.