Singapore Economic Development Board Interview Questions

Updated Mar 20, 2015
Updated Mar 20, 2015

3.8

Senior Officer Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Singapore Economic Development Board in June 2014.

3 rounds of interview: 1st round standard phone interview. Between the 1st and 2nd rounds there was a 48-hour test writing an essay and creating a presentation on two different topics. 2nd round of interview involved defending the essay and presentation to team leads. 3rd round of interview was at the director level, with standard questions and knowledge questions similar to the 2nd round.

Interview Questions
    • Mainly questions relating to the content of the presentation prepared.   Answer Question

Senior Officer Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Singapore Economic Development Board in September 2014.

Phone interview (screening of candidates)
    1st round with line managers (24 hrs to complete an essay)
    2nd round with director (24 hrs to complete a ppt)
    final round with managing director

- presentation and essays are not out to test the accuracy of your answers
    - look at your thought process (have you considered other alternatives? Why did you go with the chosen solution?)
    - be able to defend your answers

Note:
    develop a point of view about public policy matters
    being active in community service might help

Interview Questions
    • questions related to past experiences stated on my resume   Answer Question
    fixed, no negotiation

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Singapore (Singapore)

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Singapore Economic Development Board in January 2014.

3 rounds.

1) phone interview mostly questioned about fit
    2) essay test 24 hours about the industry and what do you think about it
    3) ppt slides on the industry. to test your presentation skills.

Interview Questions
    • challenges of the industry
      fit questions
      1.5 hrs interview x 2

Answer Question
    Negotiable.

Summer Internship Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Singapore Economic Development Board.

(1) Submitted application form online
    (2) Phone interview - assessed motivations, competency, commercial awareness in areas I selected to be of interest.
    (3) Essay test: Given three options in the area of interest I highlighted in the application form. Number of questions vary between departments - some are case studies, some ask about your vision for the industry. One page long - not a lot of space.
    (4) Face to face group interview with HR - talked about motivation and asked about my CV and more competencies, second half of interview is about the essay, justifications, thought process, and another case study based on some points I raised.
    (5) Email received with offer.

Interview Questions
    • Case study questions regarding chosen industry.   View Answer
    Interns allowance is fixed.

International Programmer Office - Sports Interview

First was a Phone Interview, then an essay that would be accompanied with your first interview and a power point presentation with the final interview.

Summer Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Singapore Economic Development Board in October 2013.

Applied through their website - the entire process took about 1 month.
    (1) Phone Interview - not your basic "walk-me-through-your-resume" type of interview from the HR. Competency questions and situational questions specific to the applied department was asked, with some questions you don't expect from an interviewer from the HR department (you'll think that those questions will be asked at the 2nd round when you're interviewed by the line manager from the department!)
    (2) Essay within 24 hours - difficult because you're limited to only one page and also due to the time constraint.
    (3) Face to face interview with HR head and line manager at the office - took about an hour, a lot of analytical questions were asked and they drilled deep, testing your understanding on the matter and your argument.

Interview Questions
    • Unexpected - questions about a Ted talk topic and my opinions on the matter.   Answer Question

Internship Programmer Interview

1) submit online/ hand out cvs at networking sessions
    *good if you have take language in local unis as they have special networking sessions for you

2) phone interview
    *20-30 mins. be confident
    i gave 'wrong' answers to some questions they had but as i was able to substantiate my arguments clearly i still got the call up for the next interview.

3) essay test
    *done over email. topic sent to you on a day you are comfortable with. 24hrs to complete and send back

4) face to face interview part 1
    *based on your cv and your essay test. thought processes for the essay will be asked.

5) * got rejected at the previous stage for the weirdest reason. "not my first choice of project"

Senior Officer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bugis (Singapore)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bugis (Singapore)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Singapore Economic Development Board in September 2012.

Process:
    1) Phone screening by HR, 2) Essay test, 3) Personality test, 4) Interview with hiring manager (justify your essay), 5) Interview with Director (presentation skills test), 6) Final interview with Assistant Managing Director.

Tips: Get internal referral. Find out more about the job from your friends/referee before the interview.

Project Officer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Singapore (Singapore)

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Singapore Economic Development Board in March 2012.

Had a phone interview from HR, which consisted of questions about motivations, competency-based questions on past experiences, and a short case question about factors to consider regarding firms that want to locate to Singapore.
    After that, there was an essay test. After the essay, there was a final interview with the HR and another officer. They reviewed the essay during the interview and asked about the thought process. Finally, they gave some other case questions regarding business negotiations and that was it.

Interview Questions
    • What would you say to an investor who wants to invest in (insert competitor's name) rather than Singapore?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Singapore (Singapore)

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Singapore Economic Development Board in November 2011.

I was overseas so there was first a phone screening. Then they gave me two days to do a essay and PowerPoint, regarding singapore's policy in general and the functionalities of the role I was applying for. Had a Skype interview with the head and director, and subsequently with the assistant managing director.

Na