SiriusXM

Updated Nov 13, 2014
Updated Nov 13, 2014

2.4

Producer Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at SiriusXM.

Through a third party, I had prior experience with the company — specifically with this role — and knew I could do a great job. Applied through web site. My contact at the company also put in a good word for me. HR contacted me within two weeks to schedule a phone interview. Interview seemed to be going pretty well until the last five minutes, and then interviewer took a hard turn. She had dedicated a portion of the phone interview to assessing X equipment skill, which was not my strong suit. At the end of the interview, she asked if I had anything else I wanted to share. I said to her that if it came down to my aptitude or another candidate's on X equipment skill, I could come in and offer more extensive proof on why I was a better candidate. An earnest, respectful and motivated comment. She got suddenly and illogically hostile, encouraged me to "let her do her job." I have never experienced anything like it. It was such a sudden and irrational shift. After the interview, I went over every question and answer with a friend who is in HR at a large, well-known company. She suggested the possibility that the HR rep interviewed me because of employee referral but had a different candidate she wanted for the position — and manufactured a problem with my interview to discredit my candidacy. Seems in line with other reviews made here about office politics infecting the interview process. Or maybe the interviewer just had personal issues. I don't know. Only time I've experienced anything like it.

Producer Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at SiriusXM.

Very slow process but once you get in it's all professional. If you are selected prepare for a nightmare of a background check since that outsource it to some foreign company. They're not harsh or anything just very slow and aggravating. Actual interview is ok though, everyone who works there is really laid back, don't be nervous.

Interview Questions
    • They're all about prior experience for whatever channel you're applying for so stick to that.   Answer Question
    No negotiation, they treat all their programming people like dirt.

Producer Interview

Meeting with Executive Producer and channel manager twice and then a decision was 'passed up the chain' based on who knows what. Then there were a few phone conversations about the finer details like money and rosters. That was it. But other people had different experiences. There is no pattern.

Interview Questions
    • Do you know anything about radio? Seriously. That was it. The truth is, you don't need to know anything about radio to work there.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at SiriusXM.

2 weeks after a screening from HR, I scheduled an interview with the department. The interview was very simple, with behavioral questions and past experiences on my resume. There were also many questions that focused on excel skills. Interview lasted 25 minutes. A week later, I received a call from HR giving me an offer.

Interview Questions
    • What is your experience with Excel? Be specific with what you did with the program.   Answer Question

Programming Interview

Applied and was contacted by HR the next week. Set up an initial HR screen asking about previous work experience and how this program would benefit my career. Heard back from the head of the department I applied 2 weeks later and was offered the position.

Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online – interviewed at SiriusXM in September 2014.

I applied online, and about a month later got a call from a HR person. That call was basically the phone screening interview. A week later they had me come in and meet with four people from mixed groups - only one of the people I would potentially be working with.

Interview Questions
    • Questions were straight forward about experience. But the SVP I interviewed with kept asking questions that tried to trip you up instead of trying to assess skill or proficiency.   Answer Question

Associate Manager Interview

Took an extremely long time to hear back from any one and took a lot of follow up work. But once they were ready to hire, the process was extremely quick

Always negotiate up.

Content Producer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at SiriusXM in June 2014.

The actual interviews were fine. It was the process that seemed backwards. I first met with HR on a phone call who went over the basics (why I was looking, salary requirements, etc). I then had a phone all with a VP who asked me about my background. I went on to meet him in person and questions were trying to glean what my diplomacy and interpersonal skills were. I met with two other VPs, and sensed there was an issue with 'personalities' and 'egos' as all the questions were geared towards trying to find out how I'd be able to get programmers who didn't like being told their work was incomplete to follow the process. Finally a recruiter called me (why at the end and not the beginning??). She also interviewed me for a few minutes, and at the end of the conversation, said they'd like to make an offer in a week or so. She said there would be a background investigation and would likely ask for a copy of my pay stub to verify my current salary (didn't realize this was legal...is it?). She said the offer details would be vetted all the way up the chain. When she called again, she said they checked the position budget and it was 10K LESS than I currently make. I asked her why this wasn't discovered at the start of this weeks-long process and all she could do was apologize. I declined the offer, but was very disappointed in the time wasted on both parts and because I had already turned down another job offer once I found out Sirius would be making me one.

Interview Questions
    • If you didn't have to work for money, what would you be doing?   Answer Question

The offer was 10K less than I currently make even though at the start of the interview process I clearly stated what my requirements are. It was only after 5 interviews that they found out that the max for the position budget was below my requirements.

Marketing Intern Interview

After being screened by HR, I had three phone interviews. Was a pretty quick and easy process. I was given an offer a week later!

Interview Questions
    • Nothing too difficult. Be ready to share why you want to work there!   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at SiriusXM.

The do both phone and in-person interview depending on the position. Just want to get to know you.