Skadden Arps

Relevance Date Difficulty

Summer Aasociate Interview

Interviewed at Skadden Arps

Interview Details – On campus then call back

Interview Question – No difficult questions. Just typical why do you want to be a lawyer   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation.

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Skadden Arps in October 2013.

Interview Details – Got a call for an onsite interview. Met with 4 employees in a 3 hour interview. The interview process was smooth and the interviewers were very friendly.

Legal Assistant

I applied through an employee referral and interviewed at Skadden Arps.

Interview Details – The interview process was relatively basic with a phone interview and then a call back to interview at the company onsite. At the onsite interview I met with four different individuals from the human resources department. Most of the questions were basic background on my work experience, work ethic, life goals and situational questions. They are very honest about the long hours (70-80 hours weeks) that you will put in.

Interview Question – The situational questions put you on the spot in how you would deal with difficult situations.   Answer Question

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Skadden Arps in February 2013.

Interview Details – I applied online and then was called in to go interview in their offices. I spoke with the hiring coordinator the legal assistant program, then with a former legal assistant (she had been promoted to another position), and finally with the coordinators of the legal assistant program.

Interview Question – The questions were pretty standard--why do you want to be a legal assistant, why skaaden, why law, etc.   Answer Question

Washington, DC

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Skadden Arps in June 2009.

Interview Details – Initial interview was arranged via a recruiter. The recruiter sent my resume, a writing sample, and all of my undergraduate transcripts (even though I hade been out of school for 10 years!). The initial interview was with an HR person and then a separate sit down with a very senior paralegal who tracked workflow for a particular case. They have a unique case assignment/management system for paras. I would have had a second interview with the team of attorneys, but I declined after my initial interview.

Interview Question – The interview wasn't difficult. However both of my interviewers separately asked me the exact same questions that gave me pause:
-How do you deal with stress?
-How would you handle being consistently asked to worked overtime without any notice at the end of the day?
I've worked in litigation for years and obviously skadden's reputation as a sweatshop precedes it but It was just the way that these questions were asked and by two separate interviewers. I got the feeling that this wasn't the place for me. Didn't seem to be much regard for paras. When they gave my recruiter a call regarding the second interview. I kindly declined.
  Answer Question

Boston, MA

I applied through a recruiter and interviewed at Skadden Arps.

Interview Details – I met with a total of four people during a two hour span, including the HR manager and the paralegal manager and was asked a lot of standard textbook interview questions (i.e. strengths, weaknesses, previous manager you didn't get along with, where do you see yourself in 5 years, etc...) The atmosphere seemed very snotty and one of the legal assistants I met with was just downright unwelcoming. It gave the instant impression that it would be a stuffy, unfriendly environment to work in. It also didn't help that the paralegals sat in offices in pairs with absolutely no windows or any contact with the outside world for ten hours a day. Overall very unimpressed. Oh, and they also run every kind of check you can imagine which I found to be a little intrusive. Criminal background check I can understand, but credit and driving history seem a little ridiculous to me for a paralegal position. Overall, I couldn't wait to get out of there.

Interview Question – I don't remember a specific question, but they certainly try to put you on the spot as much as possible.   Answer Question

Legal Assistant

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Skadden Arps.

Interview Details – I applied online and got a call back to meet with a HR Rep and the Legal Assistant Managers.

Interview Question – To be honest, the interviewers did most of the talking and I chimed in with examples that I thought best showed my attributes.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation as its a standard pay across the market.

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Skadden Arps.

Interview Details – Submit an application with a resume and strong cover letter. Be sure that there are no grammatical errors or typos. For the interview, make sure you are familiar with the responsibilites and expectations of a legal assistant at a big-law firm. You must be williing to work overtime. Must.

Interview Question – All of the questions were the basic, tell me about yourself, biggest challenge and how you overcame it, etc. Be sure to express maturity, ability to problem solve, multitask, etc.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – None.

Associate Interview

Associate
New York, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Skadden Arps in April 2009.

Interview Details – A successful law firm interview that results in a job has everything to do with your personality and ability to be smart, quick, unfazed, personable, and patient.
Of course your degree and experience are crucial, but the firm wouldn't have given you a shot at an interview if those didn't match its standards, so this meeting is all about being one step ahead of the game.

You must be well mannered and well dressed.
Make your resume stand out from the crowd
Win them over with your writing samples
Know -- and promote -- your strengths

Interview Question – What are your strengths and weaknesses.   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Associate
Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Skadden Arps.

Interview Details – 20 minute on-campus interview
1/2 day callback in the office, with 4-6 half-hour interviews with mid-level associates to partners, then lunch with junior associates

Interview Question – Softball questions: why law? why here?
Almost no questions in the format of "tell a time when..."
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There is no negotiation.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Skadden Arps

Worked for Skadden Arps? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Skadden Arps interview questions and advice. All 21 interview reviews posted anonymously by Skadden Arps employees and interview candidates.