Skarven Enterprises

2 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Software Engineering Intern Interview

Berkeley Heights, NJ

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Skarven Enterprises in March 2011.

Interview Details – Phone screen and then 6 onsite interviews in one day, each lasting about a half hour. The majority of the interviews were technical, ranging from brain teasers to java/C++ questions to low level processor questions. Overall, difficult but straightforward questions. The interviewers were really nice, and helped you through problems you might not understand how to begin.

Interview Question – You have two non-uniform ropes and a bunch of matches. Each rope takes an hour to burn, but the two ropes are not identical, and it does not burn uniformly (i.e. after half the rope has burned, it has not been a half hour; either more or less than that has passed). How can you measure exactly 45 minutes?   View Answers (2)

Negotiation Details – No negotiation except when my starting date would be.

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Software Engineer Interview

Berkeley Heights, NJ

I applied through other source and the process took a day - interviewed at Skarven Enterprises in January 2010.

Interview Details – I met the Skarven recruiter at a career fair at Rutgers University. Having looked at my resume and having discussed the company briefly, he told me on the spot that I can expect to be called. A couple of weeks later I received a call from their HR person to make an appointment for a phone interview. I had a phone interview with the two IT managers who seem to manage the backend and frontend development respectively.

In the phone interview, they asked me about which programming languages I was familiar with, with emphasis on backend and frontend respectively. As you may already know, they were interested in persons with C++ and Perl skills for backend or Ruby and Javascript skills for frontend. No technical programming questions were asked in the phone interview. It lasted about 40 minutes. If you do not have these skills for this position, it is unlikely that you'll be called again. They're also interested in parallel/distributed development and the associated skills, so as to utilize their cluster. I was also asked if I had Linux shell scripting skills. Knowing Bash would be a plus for this job.

If you mention any other unrelated technical interests in your resume or during the phone interview, expect to be asked to elaborate them.

They asked me if I had any questions. Feel free to ask any technical questions you may have.

They seemed fairly friendly.

Interview Questions

• Which programming languages are you proficient in?   View Answer
  • Do you know web development, such as with Ruby and Javascript?   View Answer
  • Do you work on any side-projects (including open source projects)?   View Answer

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for Skarven Enterprises? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Skarven Enterprises interview questions and advice. All interview reviews posted anonymously by Skarven Enterprises employees and interview candidates.