Skechers U.S.A.

Updated Nov 10, 2014
Updated Nov 10, 2014

2.2

Store Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Skechers U.S.A..

Questions are standard for this position.
    Why do you want to work here?
    how to you handle difficult employees?
    Normally two people would interview you and maybe a third if the regional has time

Always ask for more

Store Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Skechers U.S.A..

I had an initial pre-screen with the recruiter via phone call. We set up a time for a Skype interview. General questions were asked in the Skype interview ("Walk me through your work history", "What is the most important function of the MOD?", etc) Less than a week after the Skype interview, I was contacted and asked to go for a face-to-face interview with the DM. The DM interview was more in-depth. After the interview, we went into the store and I was walked through visual and operational expectations. I was asked how I would merchandise products differently and why I would make those choices. Less than a week after the DM interview, I was contacted again by the recruiter to get more information on my references and to set up a phone interview with the Regional Manager. Within a week of the RM interview, I was offered the position. The process was very smooth, and the recruiter did a wonderful job of keeping me updated on my status.

Interview Questions
    • None of the questions from the interview guide were that difficult, but when the DM dug deeper and asked follow up questions the interview got more interesting. The interview questionnaire was pretty standard for Management positions.   Answer Question
    I did negotiate, but we reached a stale mate. I accepted at their initial offer, with the understanding that the bonus structure would compensate for the difference.

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online – interviewed at Skechers U.S.A. in August 2014.

Replied to an ad on craigslist with my resume, in about 2 weeks i recieved a call for an interview. The interview was one on one in the backroom. Was hired on the spot & i had to fill out an application and bring in a copy of my id and ssn. My start day was 4 days later.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to work here?
      What do you like about sketchers shoes ?
        Answer Question
    They do not give enough hours and pay is minimum wage

General Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Riverside, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Riverside, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Skechers U.S.A. in May 2014.

What an absolute joke! I was contacted by a recruiter via a phone call. We spoke several times over the phone. I was scheduled three different interview appointments. The recruiter had to reschedule twice. What kind of company does that,not to mention the recruiter is late himself. They start you off at store location where you meet with a recruiter, district manager, and a employee relations manager. The district manager was a pompous arrogant self centered way too cool kind of guy that was worried more about his looks then the interview.They walk you around the store as if it is any different than any other store, really trying to emphasize their requirements.It felt like I was on tour not in an interview. Every thing is very rushed, along the tour of the store they asked you ridicules questions regarding their product that you could really only answer if you have worked there before. Oh and they ask visual questions regarding the presentation of the store. Word of advice , don't be negative in your response they will take it as an insult. At the end of the so called."interview" the recuiter messes up aisle of shoes and has you recovery it in a certain about time. Really dumb if you ask me. After the half baked interview was over, they had me meet them at Starbucks down the street from the store. Everyone showed up except the district manager, apparently he was just way too cool! After Starbucks interview was over I was told by the recruiter that there was no active position opened at the moment. He told me he would contact me within a week and let know what the next steps were going to be. I felt very upset and misled, I was led to believe the whole time that there was an active position open. About two weeks later I was contacted and told that in about 6 months a position will be opening up and I could accept a bench position. Needless to say I turn down the position. My takeaway from the interview is at Skechers wasn't looking for a store manager or General manager, they are looking for robots ; people that would do whatever they said when they said it- no room for an entrepreneurial spirit.

Interview Questions

I what to work in a company where I can be a leader and display an entrepreneurial spirit.

Second Assistant Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Skechers U.S.A..

I applied online then got called for an interview. The interview process was fairly easy. It took maybe 30-45 minutes and I was told about the company and then asked questions about former job experiences and past employers. I aced the interview then got a call back and came in to fill out paperwork. I started work about 2 weeks later; on the first day I fill out a training packet based on the company, there products, and there policies, etc.

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Schaumburg, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Schaumburg, IL

I applied in-person – interviewed at Skechers U.S.A..

I was working for retail for the past a year and half. Initially I became an associate by walking in for an application. They liked my first impression and told me to come by the store the very next day for an interview with the store manager. He asked me couple of questions about myself and my past work experience. It was a very chill interview process. The store manager was very laid back.

no negotiation

Designer Interview

Really nice office, was very impressed with that. Location is good if you already live around South Bay, if not the commute would be horrible.

Drove an hour to Manhattan Beach for a brief interview in which the person quickly ran down the job, barely making eye contact and flippantly went through my portfolio. That was it. My impression is they go through a lot of designers and the air of indifference and douch-ery from my interviewer pretty much turned me off from working there immediately. Always trust your gut, interviews are two way streets.

Also they do freelance for 3 months before hiring, which for a billion dollar corporation is pretty ridiculous. That to me is another sign designers come and go, which more often than not is due to poor office environment/management.

This could be really good on the resume for a recent grad or maybe someone already living in South Bay, but I’ve worked at bigger companies and was not impressed with the professionalism at my interview.

Interview Questions
    • There was really no questions asked, and the interviewer seemed rushed and indifferent so I didn't bother asking any.   Answer Question

Second Assistant Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Grapevine, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Grapevine, TX

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Skechers U.S.A. in July 2013.

I walked in one day for an application, I presented myself as a professional and approached the store manager. She have me an application for employment then spoke with me about job history. We scheduled an interview right then for the following day. When I went in for the interview she was excited, happy, and cheerful to see someone this interested in sales. We went over the first interview question then followed with a second interview with another manager. I got the job and it all took about 3 hours.

Interview Questions
    She offered a healthy amount to start at, but I negotiated a bit higher because of my experience in the past. I would recommend asking for a little bit more than you're used to, it never hurts to ask.

Store Manager Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Skechers U.S.A..

Applied through company website based on ad placed on indeed. Phone call from recruiter initiated three days later. The recruiter was pleasant and performed a from the script skype interview that was fairly standard issue stuff. The recruiter extended an offer to meet with a hiring district manager for the following week.

Unfortunately this is the part where it went downhill for the company and not the candidate:

1. Meeting times were changed three times not by me but by the company without apology.

2. Was led on a 10 minute escapade through a retail location explaining how things worked at skechers as if it was somehow different from any other shoe store (or retail for that matter).

3. Face to face was composed of a location manager who read from same script as the recruiter alongside a pompous, arrogant, and poorly dressed DM who was waay too cool to meet his prospective candidates on time and with respect.

4. Was asked questions regarding location square footage, sales per hour and payroll allottment of most recent employer. I found this to be both unprofessional and unimportant compared to my capabilties, ability, and experience.

5. Hiring field manager acted surpised that I was applying for SM, as if there were no openings for this position and there was either some sort of mistake or that with my six years plus of progressive business management experience along with combined 12 years of retail was not enough to handle one of their mall rental pads.

6. Was never contacted regarding status of opening after interview. Not that it mattered much to me as I would have declined it regardless of compensation based on the conduct of the company and its representatives.

Quite possibly the most unprofessional company I have ever had the misfortune of communicating with.

Interview Questions
    • What was the square footage of your last location managed?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kenosha, WI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kenosha, WI

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Skechers U.S.A. in April 2013.

Great talked aboutvthe company and the expectations

Good I received what I wanted they top my pay