Skidmore, Owings & Merrill LLP Interview Questions & Reviews

3.2

Senior Structural Engineering Professional Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Skidmore, Owings & Merrill LLP in October 2010.

I was contacted by a recruiter initially. After setting up the interview with the office, I attended for a face to face interview. T all went smoothly with a lot of detail questions about my university courses that I took and my previous work experiences.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult part was about one of my technical courses in my graduate years.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Skidmore, Owings & Merrill LLP.

This review is a for an engineering studio internship. Most, if not all, of the architecture interns had a very different interview process so please keep that in mind when considering my experience.

Very straightforward interview with one of their associate directors. Sent a resume through one of their employees after I attended one of their guest lectures. I also had to fill out an online application. Had a phone interview about a month later. Received the offer right after the interview and had about 1 week to reply. The interviewer was very friendly and answered all my questions with an appropriate level of detail.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing unexpected. Very straightforward questions regarding classes and research work done in university. Also some questions about general engineering career goals (typical questions that may be expected in any interview).   Answer Question
    No negotiation.

Architectural Professional Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Skidmore, Owings & Merrill LLP.

The process was fairly straight forward with a review of portfolios from three years of professional experience in New York as well as school work. There were very few questions asked. I suppose they like me and my work and was made an offer shortly thereafter.

Interview Questions
    • There were no unexpected or uncomfortable questions asked of me.   Answer Question
    The negotiation was straight forward. My advice is to always start high, especially if you are a woman in order to level salary discrepancies.

Structural Engineer Summer Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I interviewed online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Skidmore, Owings & Merrill LLP in April 2013.

Submitted my application online, then they emailed back for additional material - my transcript, courses completed and courses in progress. A video interview was then setup, took about 30 minutes max. I met with their office admin and two of their main senior structural engineers. It was mainly about what I have learned and what structural methods I was familiar with - matrices, concrete & steel design/analysis, etc. and the interview ended with my past work experiences. Overall, they were extremely nice and made me feel comfortable and respected. I was in the process of getting my master degree, but apparently they were looking for someone with PhD level knowledge.

Interview Questions
    • Everything was fairly normal of an engineering interview, nothing out of the blue.   Answer Question

Structural Engineer Intern Interview

Submitted resume both in school career fair and online, and then got a telephone interview. Mainly focused on past intern experience and school project experience. The interview last about half an hour. Just a telephone interview.

Intern Architect Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 4 days - interviewed at Skidmore, Owings & Merrill LLP in March 2013.

Initial portfolio critique and examination of past internships. Offices politics were already apparent. Undermining offer to say the least.

Interview Questions
    • Why are you qualified to work here?/What can you contribute?   Answer Question

salary

Architectural Professional Interview

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Skidmore, Owings & Merrill LLP.

Initial communication was made through a friend who already worked at the company. I sent my resume and portfolio and was contact and had an interview scheduled for two weeks out. The interview process is very hierarchical, and requires three interviews, one with a technical director, one with design director and one with a managing director present. The design director who was supposed to be at my second and third interview did not show up for either of them, and they wanted me to come back a fourth time, luckily that was not necessary and they made an offer anyway. The whole process took close to three months.

Interview Questions
    I did not get my initial number, but was able to negotiate up slightly.

Architect Level C Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Skidmore, Owings & Merrill LLP in June 2008.

There were 3 interviewers, we went over my portfolio and I got a tour of the office

I was not able to negotiate

Architectural Professionnal (D) Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Skidmore, Owings & Merrill LLP.

I had two interviews, with project and office management.

I was early in my career and accepted their offer as it stood, I did not attempt to negotiate, but it wouldn't taken place via email, I'd assume as that is how the offer was sent to me.

Administrative Assistant Interview

Since I was part of the "support" staff, the hiring process was handled through a regular human resources process. First, I applied to a head hunting firm who screened applicants. Then interviewed with person in charge of alll administrative employees. Particular attention was paid to amount of previous experience dealing with people at the Partner level who were "artist."

Interview Questions
    • Will you have a problem getting coffee?   View Answer
    There was no negotiation. It was take it or leave it.

Worked for Skidmore, Owings & Merrill LLP? Contribute to the Community!