Sky Interview Questions in London, England

Updated Jun 11, 2015

3.2

Agile Java Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Sky (London, England (UK)).

Interview

They sent a simple technical exercise, which was easy to resolve. Use TDD.

In the actual interview it was a pair programming exercise but really I was the one coding, my "partner" was not doing much. Another person was the "product owner". During this pair programming exercise, I tried to involve my partner but he did not really seem interested, and just steered me away from every single one of my suggestions. It appeared that they were expecting very specific answers and implementations and did not welcome any flexibility in the approach. I somewhat expected this from another glassdoor review but did not expect the pair programming exercise to be this bad.

Afterwards there was a HR-style interview with the Head of Development (very nice guy) and one of the lead developers (also very nice guy). This interview was enjoyable and they asked standard questions like "what is agile to you" and "tell me about your favourite project".

The office was really nice, everyone was casually dressed, and everyone genuinely seems really nice.

Interview Questions

• How would you improve this? (they have given an extremely basic application and were asking how it would be changed for use in a production environment).   1 Answer

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Sky (London, England (UK)).

Interview

Home coding test

A Paired programming excercise at Sky Offices. The worst part was how it ended, let's just say with a lack of politeness and manners. I hope it was an isolated incident.

The paired programming excercise tested abilty to write a good algorithm and examine how a candidate worked in a paired programming environment.

Devops Engineer - Graduate Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5+ weeksinterviewed at Sky (London, England (UK)) in February 2015.

Interview

Standard application questions after which in house recruiter called to ask for a suitable time for the telephone interview. Telephone interview was scheduled for 1 hour but only a 1/2 hour talk was told to be expected. Turned out to be only about 20 mins. Following the call was told that I passed the telephone interview and scheduled the assessment centre in two weeks time. The assessment centre was at Osterley with 3 other graduates. Fairly informal yet formal style. (if you know what I mean). Started off with ice breaker type group intros and later given an insight into the programme and Sky as an organisation. Followed by one non-assessed and one assessed group discussion. (Plan and discuss for the group exercise). 3-4 hours of Raspberry Pi based programming. One speed interview in the middle of the exercise. Presentation of results to their staff.

Interview Questions

• Why DevOps?   Answer Question
    • What would you do if you have to deploy an application ready to be deployed on an urgent basis on number of servers? Describe the process or steps to follow.   1 Answer
    • What would you do if you have to deploy an application on one server?   Answer Question
    • What if number of users are accessing an application at the same time? (Optimisation Techniques)   Answer Question
    • How would you deal with user data? (Storage and Processing)   Answer Question
    • Are you aware of any deployment tools/software?   Answer Question
    • Speed interview question- Did you ever miss a deadline? Tell me about that.   Answer Question
    • What kind of problems do you find difficult to deal with?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about the time you faced a challenge and succeeded?   Answer Question

Test Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Sky (London, England (UK)).

Interview

I had a telephone interview which went well so i was invited for a face to face. 3 people were at the other end for the telephone interview. It was both general and technical.
    Went for face to face. The atmosphere seemed very relaxed, casual dressing etc. was interviewed by panel of 3 people.

Scrum Master Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Sky (London, England (UK)) in January 2015.

Interview

Assessment day Interview:
    - Intro with the 2 recruiting staff: They were very good, very professional.
    - Live environment exercise: I was brought to the development area where you could see where and how the developers work. You are supposed to review the environment and comment on it whilst being observed by 2 Scrum Masters.
    - Interview with 3 Hiring Managers: Timed questions don't allow time to present own experience to these questions.
    - Agile Exercise with an actual team: 6 developers, they were very friendly and great to work with and know their stuff.
    - Round up with a Senior Development Manager.

In conclusion: Although you meet many people I felt it very impersonal, You don't get to speak about yourself or your experience, only conduct exercises and timed questions. I didn't feel it was the "people" company it tries to portray.

Strategy Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Sky (London, England (UK)).

Interview

I applied for the role via Sky's website and after a few months I had actually forgotten that I applied. I was happy to hear from Sky inviting me for an interview. The interview was conducted in a professional manner by the hiring manager who gave a detailed description of the role. My opinion of the interview was quite positive however, the fact that the only questions asked were knowledge based gave me the impression that developing talent is not part of Sky's ethos. Overall I enjoyed the interview process and it was a pleasure to have met the hiring manager who seemed very knowledgeable and someone I could have worked well with.
    After 2 rounds I was told that I would be contacted the following week with next steps. Unfortunately I have not been contacted to date. From other reviews on glassdoor Sky has a reputation of taking a long time to get back to candidates so if you are a potential candidate be prepared for long periods with no communication. Their HR contacts are also very difficult to reach by phone or email.

Interview Questions

• Difficult questions involved being given a scenario and asked how I would handle it. so it was expected that I had in-depth knowledge of the market and how sky work.   Answer Question

Software Engineering Academy Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Sky (London, England (UK)).

Interview

1st - Application form with Competence Questions
    2nd - Programming test asking you to build a scheduler for a set of Tv programs within the time frame they allocate to you.
    3rd - Telephone interview asking how to went about doing the programming for the assignment they assign to you and how you could improve what you have done to make it better.
    4th - An assessment day which again is another programming task working in pairs. In this task they ask you to program again. People can struggle due to the pressure you are put under but if you know programming inside out this shouldn't be a problem.

Agile Java Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Sky (London, England (UK)) in August 2014.

Interview

Got contacted by an in-house recruiter via email who saw my CV online and she sent me a small Java test to do. A week on and no feedback from the test I got invited to attend a face to face (final round), so I guess I did OK. The final round consisted of a pair test which was two guys sitting next to me, slightly confused as apparently collaboration isn't part of it, I always thought the point of pair programming is that you can bounce off ideas rather than going and just coding something. Second part was a very much untechnical interview with 3 people, I think the manager and 2 other devs. They asked mostly just about my last 2 roles and also asked me to draw an example of my work which with policies in place I don't feel like you can give too much away. I didn't pass the interview as I needed too much prompting with the sit down test and came across too un-technical with my explanation of my work although I wasn't asked about specifics about technologies used. I think coming to the office was an eye opener and speaking to developers there also made me put this role at the bottom of my list below other roles I'm interviewing for but each to their own.

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Sky (London, England (UK)) in July 2014.

Interview

Phone, followed by face to face technical interview with aptitude test. Was straight forward and mainly covered my skills and job spec and how I could fit in. Very technical interviews, very little non technical questions

Customer Advisor Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Sky (London, England (UK)) in July 2014.

Interview

I applied online and was called to set up a phone interview. The phone interview was scheduled for a Friday 9am. I prepared and waited for the call. No one called. I tried to get in touch with the recruiters on Newcastle six times that day. I was always put on hold and no one answered. I got a call in the evening and re scheduled for a phone interview on Tuesday. They called and I passed the phone interview which was very easy. The I was invited for an assessment on Thursday at 11:15am. I arrived at 10:45am and went to the gate and informed them that I was there for an assessment. They asked me for a name but I did not have one. I was told that there was nothing they could do for me. I went to the other gate same story. I contacted the people in Newcastle again and they told me that I needed to go to the gate past the construction site. I did so and no one again was able to help me. By then it was 11:30am and they gave me slot for 2:15pm. I waited outside until 2:00pm and was picked up by a Beatrice. The interview was scheduled to last 2.5 hours. The questions were straight forward, why Sky and so one. I was well prepared since I researched the interview process and knew someone who was an employee there and interviewed candidates. Then we had to do a phone call exercise and the recruiter told me that I sounded very confident and she was impressed with my answers. Then the second interviewer came in around 5:15pm and said now "let's do the wash up". I found that to be rude and unprofessional. At 5:30pm we were released and told that we would get no feedback. The next morning I called at around 10:00am in Newcastle and thanked the company for the interview and within minutes I received the rejection notice. The way I was treated by this company was unacceptable and it proves that companies do not care about people. I can live with rejection but from the start this was unprofessional at best. This is bad advertisement and I will not recommend this company to anyone. I cancelled my service with Sky the same day.

Interview Questions

• Why Sky? We were supposed to create a story board but the recruiter left the room and took the markers with her and i was not able to do it. Instead I just told her all the reasons why I wanted to work for Sky.   Answer Question