Sky

Updated Mar 2, 2015

3.3

Test Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Sky.

I had a telephone interview which went well so i was invited for a face to face. 3 people were at the other end for the telephone interview. It was both general and technical.
    Went for face to face. The atmosphere seemed very relaxed, casual dressing etc. was interviewed by panel of 3 people.

Scrum Master Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Sky in January 2015.

Assessment day Interview:
    - Intro with the 2 recruiting staff: They were very good, very professional.
    - Live environment exercise: I was brought to the development area where you could see where and how the developers work. You are supposed to review the environment and comment on it whilst being observed by 2 Scrum Masters.
    - Interview with 3 Hiring Managers: Timed questions don't allow time to present own experience to these questions.
    - Agile Exercise with an actual team: 6 developers, they were very friendly and great to work with and know their stuff.
    - Round up with a Senior Development Manager.

In conclusion: Although you meet many people I felt it very impersonal, You don't get to speak about yourself or your experience, only conduct exercises and timed questions. I didn't feel it was the "people" company it tries to portray.

Strategy Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I applied online – interviewed at Sky.

I applied for the role via Sky's website and after a few months I had actually forgotten that I applied. I was happy to hear from Sky inviting me for an interview. The interview was conducted in a professional manner by the hiring manager who gave a detailed description of the role. My opinion of the interview was quite positive however, the fact that the only questions asked were knowledge based gave me the impression that developing talent is not part of Sky's ethos. Overall I enjoyed the interview process and it was a pleasure to have met the hiring manager who seemed very knowledgeable and someone I could have worked well with.
    After 2 rounds I was told that I would be contacted the following week with next steps. Unfortunately I have not been contacted to date. From other reviews on glassdoor Sky has a reputation of taking a long time to get back to candidates so if you are a potential candidate be prepared for long periods with no communication. Their HR contacts are also very difficult to reach by phone or email.

Interview Questions
    • Difficult questions involved being given a scenario and asked how I would handle it. so it was expected that I had in-depth knowledge of the market and how sky work.   Answer Question

Software Engineering Academy Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Sky.

1st - Application form with Competence Questions
    2nd - Programming test asking you to build a scheduler for a set of Tv programs within the time frame they allocate to you.
    3rd - Telephone interview asking how to went about doing the programming for the assignment they assign to you and how you could improve what you have done to make it better.
    4th - An assessment day which again is another programming task working in pairs. In this task they ask you to program again. People can struggle due to the pressure you are put under but if you know programming inside out this shouldn't be a problem.

Agile Java Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Sky in August 2014.

Got contacted by an in-house recruiter via email who saw my CV online and she sent me a small Java test to do. A week on and no feedback from the test I got invited to attend a face to face (final round), so I guess I did OK. The final round consisted of a pair test which was two guys sitting next to me, slightly confused as apparently collaboration isn't part of it, I always thought the point of pair programming is that you can bounce off ideas rather than going and just coding something. Second part was a very much untechnical interview with 3 people, I think the manager and 2 other devs. They asked mostly just about my last 2 roles and also asked me to draw an example of my work which with policies in place I don't feel like you can give too much away. I didn't pass the interview as I needed too much prompting with the sit down test and came across too un-technical with my explanation of my work although I wasn't asked about specifics about technologies used. I think coming to the office was an eye opener and speaking to developers there also made me put this role at the bottom of my list below other roles I'm interviewing for but each to their own.

Customer Advisor Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Sky in July 2014.

I applied online and was called to set up a phone interview. The phone interview was scheduled for a Friday 9am. I prepared and waited for the call. No one called. I tried to get in touch with the recruiters on Newcastle six times that day. I was always put on hold and no one answered. I got a call in the evening and re scheduled for a phone interview on Tuesday. They called and I passed the phone interview which was very easy. The I was invited for an assessment on Thursday at 11:15am. I arrived at 10:45am and went to the gate and informed them that I was there for an assessment. They asked me for a name but I did not have one. I was told that there was nothing they could do for me. I went to the other gate same story. I contacted the people in Newcastle again and they told me that I needed to go to the gate past the construction site. I did so and no one again was able to help me. By then it was 11:30am and they gave me slot for 2:15pm. I waited outside until 2:00pm and was picked up by a Beatrice. The interview was scheduled to last 2.5 hours. The questions were straight forward, why Sky and so one. I was well prepared since I researched the interview process and knew someone who was an employee there and interviewed candidates. Then we had to do a phone call exercise and the recruiter told me that I sounded very confident and she was impressed with my answers. Then the second interviewer came in around 5:15pm and said now "let's do the wash up". I found that to be rude and unprofessional. At 5:30pm we were released and told that we would get no feedback. The next morning I called at around 10:00am in Newcastle and thanked the company for the interview and within minutes I received the rejection notice. The way I was treated by this company was unacceptable and it proves that companies do not care about people. I can live with rejection but from the start this was unprofessional at best. This is bad advertisement and I will not recommend this company to anyone. I cancelled my service with Sky the same day.

Interview Questions
    • Why Sky? We were supposed to create a story board but the recruiter left the room and took the markers with her and i was not able to do it. Instead I just told her all the reasons why I wanted to work for Sky.   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Sky in July 2014.

Phone, followed by face to face technical interview with aptitude test. Was straight forward and mainly covered my skills and job spec and how I could fit in. Very technical interviews, very little non technical questions

Data Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Sky in April 2014.

Four stages / interviews

1 - Curriculum Vitae / Cover Letter screening
    2 - 30 minute screening phone interview with recruiter from Human Resources
    3 - 30 minute screening phone interview with manager from recruiting departments
    4 - 2 hour final on site interview including assessment exercise with hiring manager

Interview Questions
    • Experience / CV; competency questions as per job description; prepare a presentation within 48 hours from final interview   Answer Question

Customer Service Team Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Sky in January 2014.

Thorough and intense interview and screening process. First step was a 40 minute phone screening, followed by a group assessment on site which involved group discussion and a simulated 1 to 1 with an employee. At the third stage this involved a presentation to the management team and a fourth stage 1 to 1 interview. The whole process was well-managed and fairly seemless.

Interview Questions
    • The one to one with an upset staff member was the most difficult with tonnes of information and only 30 mins to prepare.   Answer Question

Was offered another role.

Football Researcher Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Sky in January 2014.

Online application followed by telephone screening. Screening mainly asked why I applied and then just ran through what to expect in the interview. Interview wasn't too taxing. Mainly experience based questions and only one or two competency based ones. Nothing too hard to answer. Included a quiz and task at the end.