Sky Interview Questions in London, England

Updated Aug 15, 2015

3.2

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Sky (London, England (UK)).

Interview

There were three main rounds once I'd passed an initial telephone interview with HR: 1. Competency Interview. Standard competency questions to assess such things as how stakeholders are managed, what sort of a PM I am, level of experience, how I dealt with challenges etc. This was to the Programme Manager and was supposed to include the Director he worked for but he couldn't make it. 2. Presentation: gave a presentation on how I would manage a situation where I had to give the bad news to Senior Management that I'm about to miss a money earning milestone. What would the actions, messages and processes I would go through. This was to the Programme Manager. 3. Cultural Fit: How I would fit into the team and organisation. This was to the Programme Manager and was supposed to include the Director he worked for but he couldn't make it.

Interview Questions

• How would you give the bad news to Senior Management that you're about to miss a money earning milestone?   Answer Question

Internship Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Sky (London, England (UK)) in July 2015.

Interview

My experience with Inspiring was a very positive one. Their recruitment agents are friendly and the registration process was smooth (which made a big difference to other agencies I tried signing on to). Some people might be put off by them requesting you to film a short video of yourself to send to recruiters, but this is actually a really useful opportunity to show a company what you have to offer. I would however recommend filming this video in the comfort of your home rather than at their offices, as it means you can film as many takes as you need to get it right! The only other thing to be wary of is that whichever generic CV you send in will be sent to whichever job they put you forward for. In one of my interviews, the employer was perturbed that my CV was not tailored to the job on they were offering. Luckily I got the job anyway, but I should imagine you can ask Inspiring to let you update your CV if there is a job you like the look of but which you feel your CV does not align with. If you are a recent graduate looking to take a first step onto the career ladder then Inspiring Interns is, from my experience, by far the best agency to sign on to.

Agile Java Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Sky (London, England (UK)).

Interview

They sent a simple technical exercise, which was easy to resolve. Use TDD. In the actual interview it was a pair programming exercise but really I was the one coding, my "partner" was not doing much. Another person was the "product owner". During this pair programming exercise, I tried to involve my partner but he did not really seem interested, and just steered me away from every single one of my suggestions. It appeared that they were expecting very specific answers and implementations and did not welcome any flexibility in the approach. I somewhat expected this from another glassdoor review but did not expect the pair programming exercise to be this bad. Afterwards there was a HR-style interview with the Head of Development (very nice guy) and one of the lead developers (also very nice guy). This interview was enjoyable and they asked standard questions like "what is agile to you" and "tell me about your favourite project". The office was really nice, everyone was casually dressed, and everyone genuinely seems really nice.

Interview Questions

• How would you improve this? (they have given an extremely basic application and were asking how it would be changed for use in a production environment).   1 Answer

Graduate Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Sky (London, England (UK)) in June 2015.

Interview

You apply i dont think they even check your cv , they send you a test which you can find online if you type "sky academy unattended test" in google along with peoples code for it , then after they call you for a telephone interview. i didnt make it to the assessment center

Interview Questions

• Simple interview questions about your skills and your code and what improvements you can make.   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Sky (London, England (UK)).

Interview

Home coding test A Paired programming excercise at Sky Offices. The worst part was how it ended, let's just say with a lack of politeness and manners. I hope it was an isolated incident. The paired programming excercise tested abilty to write a good algorithm and examine how a candidate worked in a paired programming environment.

Devops Engineer - Graduate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at Sky (London, England (UK)) in February 2015.

Interview

Standard application questions after which in house recruiter called to ask for a suitable time for the telephone interview. Telephone interview was scheduled for 1 hour but only a 1/2 hour talk was told to be expected. Turned out to be only about 20 mins. Following the call was told that I passed the telephone interview and scheduled the assessment centre in two weeks time. The assessment centre was at Osterley with 3 other graduates. Fairly informal yet formal style. (if you know what I mean). Started off with ice breaker type group intros and later given an insight into the programme and Sky as an organisation. Followed by one non-assessed and one assessed group discussion. (Plan and discuss for the group exercise). 3-4 hours of Raspberry Pi based programming. One speed interview in the middle of the exercise. Presentation of results to their staff.

Interview Questions

• Why DevOps?   Answer Question
    • What would you do if you have to deploy an application ready to be deployed on an urgent basis on number of servers? Describe the process or steps to follow.   1 Answer
    • What would you do if you have to deploy an application on one server?   Answer Question
    • What if number of users are accessing an application at the same time? (Optimisation Techniques)   Answer Question
    • How would you deal with user data? (Storage and Processing)   Answer Question
    • Are you aware of any deployment tools/software?   Answer Question
    • Speed interview question- Did you ever miss a deadline? Tell me about that.   Answer Question
    • What kind of problems do you find difficult to deal with?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about the time you faced a challenge and succeeded?   Answer Question

Test Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Sky (London, England (UK)).

Interview

I had a telephone interview which went well so i was invited for a face to face. 3 people were at the other end for the telephone interview. It was both general and technical. Went for face to face. The atmosphere seemed very relaxed, casual dressing etc. was interviewed by panel of 3 people.

Scrum Master Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Sky (London, England (UK)) in January 2015.

Interview

Assessment day Interview: - Intro with the 2 recruiting staff: They were very good, very professional. - Live environment exercise: I was brought to the development area where you could see where and how the developers work. You are supposed to review the environment and comment on it whilst being observed by 2 Scrum Masters. - Interview with 3 Hiring Managers: Timed questions don't allow time to present own experience to these questions. - Agile Exercise with an actual team: 6 developers, they were very friendly and great to work with and know their stuff. - Round up with a Senior Development Manager. In conclusion: Although you meet many people I felt it very impersonal, You don't get to speak about yourself or your experience, only conduct exercises and timed questions. I didn't feel it was the "people" company it tries to portray.

Strategy Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Sky (London, England (UK)).

Interview

I applied for the role via Sky's website and after a few months I had actually forgotten that I applied. I was happy to hear from Sky inviting me for an interview. The interview was conducted in a professional manner by the hiring manager who gave a detailed description of the role. My opinion of the interview was quite positive however, the fact that the only questions asked were knowledge based gave me the impression that developing talent is not part of Sky's ethos. Overall I enjoyed the interview process and it was a pleasure to have met the hiring manager who seemed very knowledgeable and someone I could have worked well with. After 2 rounds I was told that I would be contacted the following week with next steps. Unfortunately I have not been contacted to date. From other reviews on glassdoor Sky has a reputation of taking a long time to get back to candidates so if you are a potential candidate be prepared for long periods with no communication. Their HR contacts are also very difficult to reach by phone or email.

Interview Questions

• Difficult questions involved being given a scenario and asked how I would handle it. so it was expected that I had in-depth knowledge of the market and how sky work.   Answer Question

Software Engineering Academy Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Sky (London, England (UK)).

Interview

1st - Application form with Competence Questions 2nd - Programming test asking you to build a scheduler for a set of Tv programs within the time frame they allocate to you. 3rd - Telephone interview asking how to went about doing the programming for the assignment they assign to you and how you could improve what you have done to make it better. 4th - An assessment day which again is another programming task working in pairs. In this task they ask you to program again. People can struggle due to the pressure you are put under but if you know programming inside out this shouldn't be a problem.