Sky Interview Questions in United Kingdom

Updated Jul 27, 2015

3.1

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Sky (London, England (UK)).

Interview

There were three main rounds once I'd passed an initial telephone interview with HR: 1. Competency Interview. Standard competency questions to assess such things as how stakeholders are managed, what sort of a PM I am, level of experience, how I dealt with challenges etc. This was to the Programme Manager and was supposed to include the Director he worked for but he couldn't make it. 2. Presentation: gave a presentation on how I would manage a situation where I had to give the bad news to Senior Management that I'm about to miss a money earning milestone. What would the actions, messages and processes I would go through. This was to the Programme Manager. 3. Cultural Fit: How I would fit into the team and organisation. This was to the Programme Manager and was supposed to include the Director he worked for but he couldn't make it.

Interview Questions

• How would you give the bad news to Senior Management that you're about to miss a money earning milestone?   Answer Question

Internship Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Sky (London, England (UK)) in July 2015.

Interview

My experience with Inspiring was a very positive one. Their recruitment agents are friendly and the registration process was smooth (which made a big difference to other agencies I tried signing on to). Some people might be put off by them requesting you to film a short video of yourself to send to recruiters, but this is actually a really useful opportunity to show a company what you have to offer. I would however recommend filming this video in the comfort of your home rather than at their offices, as it means you can film as many takes as you need to get it right! The only other thing to be wary of is that whichever generic CV you send in will be sent to whichever job they put you forward for. In one of my interviews, the employer was perturbed that my CV was not tailored to the job on they were offering. Luckily I got the job anyway, but I should imagine you can ask Inspiring to let you update your CV if there is a job you like the look of but which you feel your CV does not align with. If you are a recent graduate looking to take a first step onto the career ladder then Inspiring Interns is, from my experience, by far the best agency to sign on to.

Sales Retention Advisor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Uddingston, Scotland (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Sky (Uddingston, Scotland (UK)) in July 2015.

Interview

I received an email, 2-3 days after I submitted my application online, where they asked me to take part in a 40 minute phone interview. I call the number provided and was given a time slot for next day for when they would call back. It was scheduled for 12pm but they didn't get round to calling til 2pm as they had a high volume of applicants to get through. The interview only lasted about 20 minutes in total. The interview was in 3 parts and started with simple questions regarding whether I was still interested in the job, eligibility to work in the uk, work hours, etc. The 2nd part was the standard "why did you apply for this role in particular?" and "why do you want to work for sky?". The final questions were the competency questions "Give an example of when you worked as part of a team to solve a problem and what was the result?" and "Describe your most challenging/difficult experience to date?". It is important to note that when answering the competency questions you can't use examples within the same area. So if you use an example from education for the first answer, the second should be from employment.

Interview Questions

• Why did you apply for this role in particular?   Answer Question
    • Why do you want to work for sky?   Answer Question
    • Give an example of when you worked as part of team to solve a problem and what was the result?   Answer Question
    • Describe your most challenging/difficult experience to date?   Answer Question

National Business Development Executive Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Sky (Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)) in July 2015.

Interview

Initial phone interview with a Sales Manager which lasted 30 minutes and covered all the usual competency and HR based questions. Second interview was face to face. The process was extremely disorganised. I applied directly and was called about 10 days later with news I had been successful. I was called at about 1pm on a Friday but missed the call. The voicemail said I had been successful and to call to arrange the interview. I called multiple times that day and couldn't get hold of the recruiter. I called back Monday and finally got through, I was then asked if I could do the interview that day. We eventually managed to get the interview booked in for the following Friday. The second interview was even more difficult to arrange and I was asked to travel over 120 miles to meet for the face to face. I eventually got a date and location that was doable, a mere 70 miles away. I arrived early as requested by the recruiter and waited patiently. I was told it would be an assessment centre so when I arrived at the hotel, I expected someone to be waiting to greet me. There was not. I spoke with the hotel staff who were unaware of any assessment centre or interviews taking place. My interview time arrived and I still couldn't find the interviewer. I eventually heard someone talking about sky at the hotel bar and realised there was another interview taking place. I then waited for over an hour until the interviewee left the bar. The interviewer apologised and then proceeded to rush me through my interview.

Interview Questions

• Business case on a failing region. Had to present what you would do to increase revenue and subscribers. Role play based on a sales scenario, trying to close a new business.   Answer Question

Devops Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Sky.

Interview

Two stage interview process was fairly well structured. interviewer made effort to make candidate feel comfortable and relaxed which was a good point with this company.The interview lasted about a hour on each occasion and there was nothing that was too challenging about the whole experience. Some clear techniques used to bring the best out in you in the interview process.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

little room for negotiation they take a hard stance.

Agile Java Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Sky (London, England (UK)).

Interview

They sent a simple technical exercise, which was easy to resolve. Use TDD. In the actual interview it was a pair programming exercise but really I was the one coding, my "partner" was not doing much. Another person was the "product owner". During this pair programming exercise, I tried to involve my partner but he did not really seem interested, and just steered me away from every single one of my suggestions. It appeared that they were expecting very specific answers and implementations and did not welcome any flexibility in the approach. I somewhat expected this from another glassdoor review but did not expect the pair programming exercise to be this bad. Afterwards there was a HR-style interview with the Head of Development (very nice guy) and one of the lead developers (also very nice guy). This interview was enjoyable and they asked standard questions like "what is agile to you" and "tell me about your favourite project". The office was really nice, everyone was casually dressed, and everyone genuinely seems really nice.

Interview Questions

• How would you improve this? (they have given an extremely basic application and were asking how it would be changed for use in a production environment).   1 Answer

Head of Technology Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Leeds, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Sky (Leeds, England (UK)) in June 2015.

Interview

First contact was with recruiter. Then a few calls with various members of staff in equivalent roles. Then secondary and tertiary interviews with key customers and other senior managers.

Interview Questions

• Please describe a time that you were challenged and what did you do to resolve/ameliorate the situation?   1 Answer

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Sky in June 2015.

Interview

I applied online on their website. Was phoned after about a week by a member of the recruiting team who asked about my previous experience and gave some info regarding the role. After a week I received a call from another member of the recruiting team who informed me I was selected for a telephone interview and we arranged it. A confirmation email followed. My telephone interview with a senior health and safety advisor lasted for about 30 minutes and was a discussion about my experience plus some questions such as why do you want to work for Sky, what can you bring to the business, what do you look for in an employer, what do you think would be the challenges of the role and how would you address them, etc. After few days I had a missed call from recruiting team in the morning, I called back at lunch time and the guy asked me if I was still interested in the role and asked me to arrange a face to face interview. I was on lunch break and we agreed to discuss a suitable date after 5pm on the same day. When I phoned him at 5pm he told me that the senior advisor asked him to hold on because she wanted to see more cv so he would let me know. As you can imagine, I was absolutely astonished by their unprofessional manner, I was asked to arrange for a face to face interview at lunch time and told "I will let you know" after few hours. The funny thing is that they boast to be a cutting edge company.... a very unprofessional one though!

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for Sky? What can you bring to the business? What do you look for in an employer? What do you think would be the challenges of the role and how would you address them?   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Sky (London, England (UK)).

Interview

Home coding test A Paired programming excercise at Sky Offices. The worst part was how it ended, let's just say with a lack of politeness and manners. I hope it was an isolated incident. The paired programming excercise tested abilty to write a good algorithm and examine how a candidate worked in a paired programming environment.

Sales Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Newcastle upon Tyne, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Sky (Newcastle upon Tyne, England (UK)) in February 2015.

Interview

Applied online Friday. Had a missed call/email the next day to arrange phone interview. Phone interview Monday, basic questions, Why did you apply? What can you bring to the job? Any experience etc Passed this. Invited to assessment centre on the Wednesday morning. I was very nervous for this at first, but once it got started these nerves disappeared. There was only 2 of us on the day. Greeted by a lovely lady who talked us through the process of the day and the actual job role. We were then separated into two rooms and given 15 minutes to prepare a 'Why Sky?' presentation. This was literally 4 questions, Why Sky, Why me, Why this role and What motivates you at work. Once the 15 minutes was over a lovely lady came in and started the interview, she asked me basic work experience questions. Then I was given 5 minutes to give my presentation, she then took the notes from me as evidence I'd completed this task. In total the actual 1-1 interview process lasted about 30 minutes, with 4 people coming and going asking different interview questions, these were in 4 different 'sections', 'Work & education history' 'Give an example of when you've changed someones mind', 'Give an example of when you've had to work as a team' and 'Give an example of when you've had to show empathy with someone' After this I was taken back along to where the other candidate was a talked through the next stage which was the role play call. As there was only 2 of us this was done in our little rooms again with the assessor in the room rather than on a phone. The brief was to help the customer with their enquiry, as it was a sales role this was the customer wanting to upgrade to HD, and upsell if possible. We were given sheets of paper with all product information and various package prices so these were useful when on the call. The whole process I found was very relaxed and all the ladies involved were very pleasant and friendly. I enjoyed the day and left feeling very confident. I received an email the next day telling me I'd passed the assessment centre and would get a call as to what happens next after pre screening checks were carried out. I received this call the following Monday and was offered the position to start a week later. Overall from Applying to starting the job (tomorrow!), the process took 2 weeks. The only down fall I'd say was the notice period, by the time I received the job offer the start date was only a week later, luckily I'm self-employed working for someone, so was able to only give a weeks notice to my boss, but for someone who needed 2-3 weeks notice for a current job this may be an issue.

Interview Questions

• 'Give an example of when you've had to empathise with someone, how did you do this and what would you change?'   1 Answer