Sky Interview Questions in United Kingdom

Updated Aug 15, 2015

3.1

Associate Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Sky.

Interview

First a coding test should be done. If you pass the test then a telephone interview will be arranged. The prepare time for the interview is short, two days. And the time between the coding test and the interview is rather long, about a month. During the interview, self introduction is not asked and some examples that indicates your ability are required. Better to prepare more than two or three.

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Sky (London, England (UK)).

Interview

There were three main rounds once I'd passed an initial telephone interview with HR: 1. Competency Interview. Standard competency questions to assess such things as how stakeholders are managed, what sort of a PM I am, level of experience, how I dealt with challenges etc. This was to the Programme Manager and was supposed to include the Director he worked for but he couldn't make it. 2. Presentation: gave a presentation on how I would manage a situation where I had to give the bad news to Senior Management that I'm about to miss a money earning milestone. What would the actions, messages and processes I would go through. This was to the Programme Manager. 3. Cultural Fit: How I would fit into the team and organisation. This was to the Programme Manager and was supposed to include the Director he worked for but he couldn't make it.

Interview Questions

• How would you give the bad news to Senior Management that you're about to miss a money earning milestone?   Answer Question

National Business Development Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Sky (Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)) in July 2015.

Interview

Initial phone interview with a Sales Manager which lasted 30 minutes and covered all the usual competency and HR based questions. Second interview was face to face. The process was extremely disorganised. I applied directly and was called about 10 days later with news I had been successful. I was called at about 1pm on a Friday but missed the call. The voicemail said I had been successful and to call to arrange the interview. I called multiple times that day and couldn't get hold of the recruiter. I called back Monday and finally got through, I was then asked if I could do the interview that day. We eventually managed to get the interview booked in for the following Friday. The second interview was even more difficult to arrange and I was asked to travel over 120 miles to meet for the face to face. I eventually got a date and location that was doable, a mere 70 miles away. I arrived early as requested by the recruiter and waited patiently. I was told it would be an assessment centre so when I arrived at the hotel, I expected someone to be waiting to greet me. There was not. I spoke with the hotel staff who were unaware of any assessment centre or interviews taking place. My interview time arrived and I still couldn't find the interviewer. I eventually heard someone talking about sky at the hotel bar and realised there was another interview taking place. I then waited for over an hour until the interviewee left the bar. The interviewer apologised and then proceeded to rush me through my interview.

Interview Questions

• Business case on a failing region. Had to present what you would do to increase revenue and subscribers. Role play based on a sales scenario, trying to close a new business.   Answer Question

Sales Advisor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Leeds, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Sky (Leeds, England (UK)) in July 2015.

Interview

Applied online and was contacted a few days later for a telephone interview. Usual questions asked e.g What can you bring to sky?. Describe a situation where you had to work as a team. I was then invited to a face to face interview. They use the "speed interview" techinique, basically you are sat in a room while different people come in and ask you a question each. It was an unusual approach and an interesting one.

Interview Questions

• Why Sky? Why you? What motivates you? Describe a situation where you had to overcome a problem with a team   1 Answer

Internship Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Sky (London, England (UK)) in July 2015.

Interview

My experience with Inspiring was a very positive one. Their recruitment agents are friendly and the registration process was smooth (which made a big difference to other agencies I tried signing on to). Some people might be put off by them requesting you to film a short video of yourself to send to recruiters, but this is actually a really useful opportunity to show a company what you have to offer. I would however recommend filming this video in the comfort of your home rather than at their offices, as it means you can film as many takes as you need to get it right! The only other thing to be wary of is that whichever generic CV you send in will be sent to whichever job they put you forward for. In one of my interviews, the employer was perturbed that my CV was not tailored to the job on they were offering. Luckily I got the job anyway, but I should imagine you can ask Inspiring to let you update your CV if there is a job you like the look of but which you feel your CV does not align with. If you are a recent graduate looking to take a first step onto the career ladder then Inspiring Interns is, from my experience, by far the best agency to sign on to.

Sales Retantion Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Newcastle upon Tyne, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Sky (Newcastle upon Tyne, England (UK)) in July 2015.

Interview

After a initial telephone interview with the main Sky HR I was invited to interview for a date two weeks later. After a short introduction along with three other interviewees we were separated into different rooms. The process began with initial personal interview, followed by preparing a presentation on Why Sky?, further competency interviews with two separate interviewers and a role play. Whole process was very thorough and intensive.

Sales Retention Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Uddingston, Scotland (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Sky (Uddingston, Scotland (UK)) in July 2015.

Interview

I received an email, 2-3 days after I submitted my application online, where they asked me to take part in a 40 minute phone interview. I call the number provided and was given a time slot for next day for when they would call back. It was scheduled for 12pm but they didn't get round to calling til 2pm as they had a high volume of applicants to get through. The interview only lasted about 20 minutes in total. The interview was in 3 parts and started with simple questions regarding whether I was still interested in the job, eligibility to work in the uk, work hours, etc. The 2nd part was the standard "why did you apply for this role in particular?" and "why do you want to work for sky?". The final questions were the competency questions "Give an example of when you worked as part of a team to solve a problem and what was the result?" and "Describe your most challenging/difficult experience to date?". It is important to note that when answering the competency questions you can't use examples within the same area. So if you use an example from education for the first answer, the second should be from employment.

Interview Questions

• Why did you apply for this role in particular?   Answer Question
    • Why do you want to work for sky?   Answer Question
    • Give an example of when you worked as part of team to solve a problem and what was the result?   Answer Question
    • Describe your most challenging/difficult experience to date?   Answer Question

Sales Retention Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Newcastle upon Tyne, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Sky (Newcastle upon Tyne, England (UK)) in July 2015.

Interview

I applied online and got contacted within a week to arrange a convenient time for a phone interview, which i arranged for 3 days later. 1. Phone Interview. The person on the phone talked about sky for about 15 minutes, just going on about how good it is to work for them, the benefits and incentives etc. Then he asked me basic questions about customer service, my experience and why i wanted a job at sky. He put me on hold for a few minutes while he assessed my answers, then told me i had been successful and would be invited for a second stage interview which is an assessment day at one of the sky offices. 2. Assessment Day. I was met at reception by one of the interviewers. Got the lift upstairs, and then got shown around one of the floors. Was only me and one other candidate. We both got sat down and were told what the assessment day would entail. I got sent into a room on my own, i had 15 minutes to prepare an presentation which had to cover the following 4 questions, Why Sky? Why You? Why Sales Retention? What Motivates You? Once the time was up, a different interviewer came into the room and started asking standard interview questions, employment history and experience etc, after i had answered she then asked to see my presentation. She left and another person came in. This person asked me to give an example of a time where i have changed someones mind. Another person then came in and asked give an example of when you have shown empathy towards someone. And finally another person then came in and asked for an example of when i have worked as part of a team. There were follow up questions to each section based on my answers. So all in all four 1-1 interviews. I was then reunited with the other candidate and given a handful of sheets with all the sky products, prices and packages etc. The guy talked us through each product individually which took a while and was a lot to take in. I then got sent into a room on my own to read it through again. I had 10 minutes to absorb as much as possible. I then had a practice phone call from a customer (just the interviewer facing away from you pretending to be on the phone). Feedback was then given before I had another call which I was then assessed on. I was allowed to keep all the sheets in front of me during the calls. Both calls were customers wanting to cancel their subscriptions. I was happy with the way everything went except the role play phone call, this was the only thing I struggled with. My telephone manner is great, that wasn't an issue. They expect you to know everything about products, prices and packages as if you have the job, despite only spending a short amount of time reading it. I think this is what let me down and ultimately didn't get me the job. It was very informal and relaxed. Good experience nonetheless.

Interview Questions

• Why Sky? Why You? Why Sales Retentions? What Motivates You?   1 Answer

Devops Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Sky.

Interview

Two stage interview process was fairly well structured. interviewer made effort to make candidate feel comfortable and relaxed which was a good point with this company.The interview lasted about a hour on each occasion and there was nothing that was too challenging about the whole experience. Some clear techniques used to bring the best out in you in the interview process.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

little room for negotiation they take a hard stance.

Agile Java Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Sky (London, England (UK)).

Interview

They sent a simple technical exercise, which was easy to resolve. Use TDD. In the actual interview it was a pair programming exercise but really I was the one coding, my "partner" was not doing much. Another person was the "product owner". During this pair programming exercise, I tried to involve my partner but he did not really seem interested, and just steered me away from every single one of my suggestions. It appeared that they were expecting very specific answers and implementations and did not welcome any flexibility in the approach. I somewhat expected this from another glassdoor review but did not expect the pair programming exercise to be this bad. Afterwards there was a HR-style interview with the Head of Development (very nice guy) and one of the lead developers (also very nice guy). This interview was enjoyable and they asked standard questions like "what is agile to you" and "tell me about your favourite project". The office was really nice, everyone was casually dressed, and everyone genuinely seems really nice.

Interview Questions

• How would you improve this? (they have given an extremely basic application and were asking how it would be changed for use in a production environment).   1 Answer