SkyWest Airlines Flight Attendant Interview Questions

Updated Apr 11, 2015

2.7

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Long Beach, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at SkyWest Airlines (Long Beach, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

I applied online. Saw that they had a hiring session coming up in Long Beach, Ca (April 2, 2015) so I went. This was my first time going to anything like that, but i researched alot and pretty much knew what to expect. The interview process was like most people have explained. It was a group of about 60. After they explained the job requirements they gave us a break, and a chance for those who were no longer interested to leave. Maybe 4 or 5 ended up leaving. Then we got 60 seconds to pitch to the crowd why we would make a good flight attendant. I don't think the answer matters as much as other factors during this part. First off is how you look. Dress professional! I wore a business suit and heels. Second is how you handle being in front of a crowd. Don't be intimidated, just act comfortable and be yourself. Your attitude is important, don't be too serious, smile a lot and be friendly. After all of us did our little presentation we had another break. After the break they posted a list of names of the people who passed. There was maybe 12 names maximum on the list. Mine was one of them. We were asked to stay for a second interview. We filled out a quick paper with our info, social, base preference, etc. They called us one by one for a face to face. I interviewed with one person, and she was super nice. It was a really relaxed interview. They asked about availability, base preference, if I was willing to relocate and understood the probability of relocation. Then just a few basic questions.Like 4 or 5 max. What kind of people annoyed me was one of the questions. I thought that was funny. I said drunk people are "challenging" lol After the interview they said they would contact me in about a week. I heard back on day 6 with the offer.

Interview Questions

• If there was a drunk man on the plane requesting another drink what would I do   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for SkyWest Airlines

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at SkyWest Airlines (Los Angeles, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

Skywest has numerous hiring "events" scattered throughout the country on a revolving basis. They need to hire nearly 600 flight attendants.Yet, their hiring 'process' is indicative of a hiring department that is less interested in hiring qualified applicants, as it is interested in protecting the jobs of the em' shall i say "expert" recruiters....

This regional carrier has a decent reputation and a long track record of good growth and excellent future growth based on several different criteria. #1. Increased demand for short-haul jet aircraft.#2 current retirement levels that will demand more and more pilot/flight attendant vacancies be filled. #3 see answer #2.

When an applicant applies on-line at Skywest...(also referred to as "skyworst"; not by me; industry insiders) You may or may not receive an interview offer. This in most cases is due to applicants' failure to follow directions. Proceeding... when an applicant fills out the application PROPERLY you WILL receive an interview /offer to attend an information group session at one of their many upcoming scheduled hiring events across the country. If you are NEW to the airline industry or a returning applicant, please make sure that you are not required to travel too far to the interview, or denoting any considerable expense to this process or you will be sadly... dejected.

Normally, candidate "show" rates are in the 50-60 applicant area.These possibles are checked in measured for height...you must be 5.0-6.0 feet (don't bother if you don't fit squarely into these numbers); then divided into two groups for presumably, a less crowed/ more relaxed interview process.

A short company break-down presentation then follows. a short break concluded this info session followed by each applicants Amazing 1 minute recitation on why they feel they will make an excellent flight attendant. This is it folks....seriously. Applicants walk into the hall and await a quickly scrawled on "Keep-sheet List" that is posted in the hallway....the rest wander away wondering what happened? A staggeringly few will make it to the 'coveted' second interview , I am estimating that 3% of 60 will be offered the second interview shot. short of looking at their inter-company memos or hiring numbers...I doubt very seriously if 2 were offered employment.This information is based on 2 different experiences I encountered...oh yeah forgot to say..I've been in the airline industry for 25 years. Hiring for 10. I'm a ringer. I didn't need or want the job.

A great company to practice/ pre-interview prior to interviewing with other carriers.

Interview Questions

• Plan a 1 minute "why I think I would make a great flight attendant speech"   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at SkyWest Airlines (Los Angeles, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

Open House style interview process. About 100 candidates in attendance. We were separated into 2 groups, each of which were in different rooms. Each group had to spend 1 minute (or less) saying why you think you'd be a great flight attendant for SkyWest- based on your professional background. After that, panel reviews your answer and resume. Only about 10 from each group advanced to final round interviews. Final round was a one on one interview with a recruiter/ experienced flight attendant.

Interview Questions

• If a guest on the plane is drunk and asking for another drink, what do you do?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at SkyWest Airlines (Nashville, TN) in February 2015.

Interview

You sign in, show ID & turn in a resume. Height is measured. Everyone was seated in one pretty large room (approx 100-110 people). Company overview was read, then there was a Q&A session. They are looking for about 35 people to make up the training class for March. Anyone who wanted to could leave. The large group was divided into 2 groups with half remaining in the original room & the other half going to a different room. We were given a short break.

Once everyone reconvened, we are each given 60 seconds to tell the interviewers a little about us, our work experience, why we would make a great flight attendant, etc... We were not to mention our age, our family or anything really personal. For the lack of a better description, I'll call it a 60-second commercial. There were 60 second commercials that were polished, professional, hitting the normal key words, etc...and then there were commercials that were very "different". More about that later.

After everyone had given their commercial we are sent away for a 45 minute break. When we returned, check the list on the door to see if your name is listed. If it was, you have earned a f2f interview. Needless to say many of the people who thought they should have or would have gotten an interview did not and many whose commercial was "different' was awarded an interview. Now when I say different, one applicant was police dept trained, had been for many years, very polished, professional, and articulate but evidently not what they were looking for. While on the other hand one knock-down gorgeous applicant stood and for her commercial announced she was single, had no children, had no husband, and no plans to have one which had nothing to do with her customer service experience but she was awarded a f2f. One never knows with airline FA positions. I saw one applicant with studded pants (down the side) get a f2f. There were lots of really short skirts who made it to the f2f also. Okay, it's their company and they can play the game like they want to.

So on to the f2f, they asked the basic 3 situation(al) questions & you need to answer in the STAR format. You will find out via email if you get an actual CJO or a TBNT. Interviews lasted about 15 minutes each. Pretty simple interview.

Things to seriously consider when applying:

The interview session is for a specific training date. If you aren't available for that date, you have wasted a trip. It can not be rescheduled. You must come back to a different OH. :-(

95-98% if not more of those selected for f2f were of a small frame. When I say small I saw only one person who could possibly be considered a size 10 get through to the f2f. I also noticed when we were given a little bit of the company history, the words "small and compact" were used lots of times. So do keep that in mind. They were careful to say we have no specific measurements we use which is the politically correct thing to say but when all is said and done, it doesn't appear that way. Yes there were smaller-framed applicants who didn't get through to the f2f but there were far more larger bodies that didn't get the opportunity to interview.

If you are granted a CJO and you don't live in one of their current domiciles (ORD, COS, DEN, FAT, HOU, LAX, MSP, PSP, PHX, PDX, SLC, SFO, SLO, SEA and TUS), for training, you must, at your own expense, pay to get from your home airport to one of the domiciles listed above. Skywest will issue you a space positive seat from the above domicile you chose to fly into to UT which is where the training is. Once training is over, Skywest will fly you back to the domicle of your choosing, and it is your responsibility to fly yourself from there back to your home airport. The return portion may be changing soon but as of the February OH, this was the information given. I know that sounds confusing but several people asked several times and this is how it was explained to us. I have never heard of such. Skywest codeshares with all the big mainlines but can't fly you to training or home after training. That's unheard of. Not only did I see that as a problem, but when asked what if one fails the training and have to leave early. The response was buy a round trip ticket up front. That to me would be even more ridiculous because have you tried to change a date on a ticket lately with the airport? By the time you pay all of the penalties involved, it isn't worth it?

Training is paid.

Benefits don't kick in until 90 days.

These are things that would have been great to know up front. Getting this career can be very costly so invest your money wisely in opportunities where you have all the facts and can make informed decisions. I will not bash a company but these important details weren't disclosed upfront and some are deal breakers.

Interview Questions

• Why would you make a great flight attendant   2 Answers
    • Glassdoor asks if you got an offer. That question is irrelevant here because no offers were made on the spot. CJO's or TBNT's will come via email.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at SkyWest Airlines (Salt Lake City, UT) in February 2015.

Interview

Of all the interviews I've been though in my life this was the most unprofessional. You're treated like cattle, just like on their airplanes, so at least there's consistency.
    I showed up for a open house in Salt Lake City, signed up at the desk, dropped my resume and references, they took my height and was told to sit in a room. About 100 people showed up and were divided into 2 rooms. At 6pm they closed the door and gave an introduction and job requirements telling people that after the Q&A they could leave if they didn't think they fit. The person speaking was reading everything off a sheet, and poorly I should say. That was a total of 3 or 4 pages being read, boring. There was not the slightest attempt to engage the audience (prospect flight attendants). After the short Q&A they gave us a 15 minutes break and once inside the room they called people one by one asking them to stand in front of the room and tell about themselves in one minute. About 5 people really stood out, they seemed to have great customer service skills and in my mind I thought I would love to work with them. Of these 5 people only one was asked to stay for the F2F interview. Some people were dressed unprofessionally and were asked to stay, other managed to sneak in there that they are mormon (and Skywest is a mormon company) and they were asked to stay. As for me, I have many years of customer service experience with a stellar resume, great recommendations and a serious background in safety but was not asked to stay. I was dressed professionally. After everyone had their minute we were told to return 45 minutes later to find a list on the door of those who were asked to stay for a F2F, there were about 20 names from my room. I had a chance to talk and meet many people that day and some of those people I would not hire in a lifetime based on what I saw, but they were asked to stay.
    The Skywest recruiters looked bored and unapproachable. I will not apply again with this company, I was willing to overlook the low pay (way lower than other airlines) but I'm not overlooking how unprofessional this company is.

Flight Attendant Interview

Interview

After applying you can attend the recruitment event of your choice. At the event you will be measured for height. There is a presentation from current SkyWest employees on the job, training, benefits, etc. After a short break, each applicant must stand in front of the room and in one minute or less tell everyone why they would make a good flight attendant. You take another break while the recruiters decide which applicants get a one on one interview.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tucson, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at SkyWest Airlines (Tucson, AZ) in February 2015.

Interview

I started by putting in an application in online at skywest.com I saw an open interview was only a few days away in Tucson. I got there about 45 minutes early and already about 100 people were already there. As you came in they took your resume and measured your height (for the height of the cabin for the EMB 120 Brasilia) They closed and locked the door right at 6:30. Some people were even turned away for being late. There was about 150-170 of us there. They gave us information about the position. Requirements, training, pay, etc. They gave us a 15 minute break for anyone who did not want to continue with the process. They called us up one by one and gave us 60 seconds to state your name, you favorite movie and answer the question "Why do you think you'd be a great flight attendant?" After everyone answered, the panel of 6 interviewers (3 Senior Flight Attendants and 3 HR Employees) told us to give them 45 minutes to go over our resumes and to look at the door. If your name is on it you move on to the 1 on 1 interviews. I believe they are looking for a few things during the group portion: You are dressed professionally, You are groomed well, you stand straight, and you project your voice well. They narrowed the 150 down to just 25 of us. I waited until about 10:30p for my interview. They asked us basic customer service questions that gradually got harder. She than dismissed me to go home. She said that I would hear something in about 2 weeks. It was closer to 3 for me, but remember you can always check the status of your application on skywest.com. I got an offer. No two interviews are the same. This is my third attempt and each of them were different questions and different people. Some people may get it on the first try some it may take more like in my case. Just remember statistically, you'd get in to Harvard twice than get a position as a flight attendant it is very competitive, just keep trying and don't give up. Good Luck!

Interview Questions

• Why do you think you'd be a great flight attendant?   1 Answer
    • What would you do if you encounter a workplace hazard?   1 Answer
    • Tell me a time you made a mistake that cost operation performance and your manager did not find out. What did you do? What was the situation and resolution?   1 Answer

Flight Attendant Interview

Application

The process took a weekinterviewed at SkyWest Airlines.

Interview

Applied online and was then asked to attend a recruitment/ group interview. There was a 60 second time cap for each individual applying for the job to express why they would make a great flight attendant.

Interview Questions

• Why do you think you would make a great flight attendant?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at SkyWest Airlines (Minneapolis, MN) in February 2015.

Interview

Stared with a group presentation and then a one minute individual response on "why I want to be a flight attendant at Skywest". I was asked to interview again in 90 days

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online – interviewed at SkyWest Airlines (Houston, TX) in February 2015.

Interview

Applied online
    Received invite to Attend any of their available OH
    Went to OH in Houston on Feb. 9
    They gave a brief intro to the company & had 3 flight attendants read out a scripted info of company policies & duties as a flight attendant.
    Opened the floor for questions
    Room got divided up to & broken down to other rooms to make it easier to go through those in attendance (apparently there was quite a few of us there)
    Everyone got individually called up to talk in front of room
    Got sent on break for about 30-45 min while they decided who to pick for F2F
    Posted roster in front of door of room you presented in

Interview Questions

• Explain why you want to be a flight attendant. (Pls leave out personal info such as age or ethnicity or family as you are allotted 60sec or less to speak)   1 Answer