SkyWest

Updated Feb 24, 2015
Updated Feb 24, 2015

2.7

Flight Attendant Interview

After applying you can attend the recruitment event of your choice. At the event you will be measured for height. There is a presentation from current SkyWest employees on the job, training, benefits, etc. After a short break, each applicant must stand in front of the room and in one minute or less tell everyone why they would make a good flight attendant. You take another break while the recruiters decide which applicants get a one on one interview.

Other Interview Reviews for SkyWest

Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN
    Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at SkyWest in February 2015.

You sign in, show ID & turn in a resume. Height is measured. Everyone was seated in one pretty large room (approx 100-110 people). Company overview was read, then there was a Q&A session. They are looking for about 35 people to make up the training class for March. Anyone who wanted to could leave. The large group was divided into 2 groups with half remaining in the original room & the other half going to a different room. We were given a short break.

Once everyone reconvened, we are each given 60 seconds to tell the interviewers a little about us, our work experience, why we would make a great flight attendant, etc... We were not to mention our age, our family or anything really personal. For the lack of a better description, I'll call it a 60-second commercial. There were 60 second commercials that were polished, professional, hitting the normal key words, etc...and then there were commercials that were very "different". More about that later.

After everyone had given their commercial we are sent away for a 45 minute break. When we returned, check the list on the door to see if your name is listed. If it was, you have earned a f2f interview. Needless to say many of the people who thought they should have or would have gotten an interview did not and many whose commercial was "different' was awarded an interview. Now when I say different, one applicant was police dept trained, had been for many years, very polished, professional, and articulate but evidently not what they were looking for. While on the other hand one knock-down gorgeous applicant stood and for her commercial announced she was single, had no children, had no husband, and no plans to have one which had nothing to do with her customer service experience but she was awarded a f2f. One never knows with airline FA positions. I saw one applicant with studded pants (down the side) get a f2f. There were lots of really short skirts who made it to the f2f also. Okay, it's their company and they can play the game like they want to.

So on to the f2f, they asked the basic 3 situation(al) questions & you need to answer in the STAR format. You will find out via email if you get an actual CJO or a TBNT. Interviews lasted about 15 minutes each. Pretty simple interview.

Things to seriously consider when applying:

The interview session is for a specific training date. If you aren't available for that date, you have wasted a trip. It can not be rescheduled. You must come back to a different OH. :-(

95-98% if not more of those selected for f2f were of a small frame. When I say small I saw only one person who could possibly be considered a size 10 get through to the f2f. I also noticed when we were given a little bit of the company history, the words "small and compact" were used lots of times. So do keep that in mind. They were careful to say we have no specific measurements we use which is the politically correct thing to say but when all is said and done, it doesn't appear that way. Yes there were smaller-framed applicants who didn't get through to the f2f but there were far more larger bodies that didn't get the opportunity to interview.

If you are granted a CJO and you don't live in one of their current domiciles (ORD, COS, DEN, FAT, HOU, LAX, MSP, PSP, PHX, PDX, SLC, SFO, SLO, SEA and TUS), for training, you must, at your own expense, pay to get from your home airport to one of the domiciles listed above. Skywest will issue you a space positive seat from the above domicile you chose to fly into to UT which is where the training is. Once training is over, Skywest will fly you back to the domicle of your choosing, and it is your responsibility to fly yourself from there back to your home airport. The return portion may be changing soon but as of the February OH, this was the information given. I know that sounds confusing but several people asked several times and this is how it was explained to us. I have never heard of such. Skywest codeshares with all the big mainlines but can't fly you to training or home after training. That's unheard of. Not only did I see that as a problem, but when asked what if one fails the training and have to leave early. The response was buy a round trip ticket up front. That to me would be even more ridiculous because have you tried to change a date on a ticket lately with the airport? By the time you pay all of the penalties involved, it isn't worth it?

Training is paid.

Benefits don't kick in until 90 days.

These are things that would have been great to know up front. Getting this career can be very costly so invest your money wisely in opportunities where you have all the facts and can make informed decisions. I will not bash a company but these important details weren't disclosed upfront and some are deal breakers.

Interview Questions
    • Why would you make a great flight attendant   View Answers (2)
    • Glassdoor asks if you got an offer. That question is irrelevant here because no offers were made on the spot. CJO's or TBNT's will come via email.   Answer Question

Flight Attendant Interview

The process took a weekinterviewed at SkyWest.

Applied online and was then asked to attend a recruitment/ group interview. There was a 60 second time cap for each individual applying for the job to express why they would make a great flight attendant.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you think you would make a great flight attendant?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN
    Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at SkyWest in February 2015.

Stared with a group presentation and then a one minute individual response on "why I want to be a flight attendant at Skywest". I was asked to interview again in 90 days

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I applied online – interviewed at SkyWest in February 2015.

Applied online
    Received invite to Attend any of their available OH
    Went to OH in Houston on Feb. 9
    They gave a brief intro to the company & had 3 flight attendants read out a scripted info of company policies & duties as a flight attendant.
    Opened the floor for questions
    Room got divided up to & broken down to other rooms to make it easier to go through those in attendance (apparently there was quite a few of us there)
    Everyone got individually called up to talk in front of room
    Got sent on break for about 30-45 min while they decided who to pick for F2F
    Posted roster in front of door of room you presented in

Interview Questions
    • Explain why you want to be a flight attendant. (Pls leave out personal info such as age or ethnicity or family as you are allotted 60sec or less to speak)   View Answer

Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT
    Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at SkyWest in February 2015.

Of all the interviews I've been though in my life this was the most unprofessional. You're treated like cattle, just like on their airplanes, so at least there's consistency.
    I showed up for a open house in Salt Lake City, signed up at the desk, dropped my resume and references, they took my height and was told to sit in a room. About 100 people showed up and were divided into 2 rooms. At 6pm they closed the door and gave an introduction and job requirements telling people that after the Q&A they could leave if they didn't think they fit. The person speaking was reading everything off a sheet, and poorly I should say. That was a total of 3 or 4 pages being read, boring. There was not the slightest attempt to engage the audience (prospect flight attendants). After the short Q&A they gave us a 15 minutes break and once inside the room they called people one by one asking them to stand in front of the room and tell about themselves in one minute. About 5 people really stood out, they seemed to have great customer service skills and in my mind I thought I would love to work with them. Of these 5 people only one was asked to stay for the F2F interview. Some people were dressed unprofessionally and were asked to stay, other managed to sneak in there that they are mormon (and Skywest is a mormon company) and they were asked to stay. As for me, I have many years of customer service experience with a stellar resume, great recommendations and a serious background in safety but was not asked to stay. I was dressed professionally. After everyone had their minute we were told to return 45 minutes later to find a list on the door of those who were asked to stay for a F2F, there were about 20 names from my room. I had a chance to talk and meet many people that day and some of those people I would not hire in a lifetime based on what I saw, but they were asked to stay.
    The Skywest recruiters looked bored and unapproachable. I will not apply again with this company, I was willing to overlook the low pay (way lower than other airlines) but I'm not overlooking how unprofessional this company is.

Flight Attendant Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at SkyWest.

After they measured your height they will split into Two or three groups. They asked you to introduce yourself and why do you want to become a flight attendant. Break. Those who pass first session will continue to one on one interview.

Flight Attendant Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at SkyWest in October 2014.

My experience: First applied online then got an email that invited me to the recruitment event. It was at a hotel and started promptly at 6pm but I had to be there earlier in order to check in and be measured. I sat in a conference room and the presenter read off what the job does and everything else that is basically on their website. After that, the group was allowed fifteen minutes break if you didn't it wasn't right for you. When the group returned and then everyone was given 60 secs to go in front of the room and say why you would be a great flight attendant. After everyone was done, there was another break for 45 minutes where the recruiters decided who they wanted to do one on one. Everyone, including myself, that were chosen for the 1 on 1 were great speakers and DRESSED LIKE FLIGHT ATTENDANTS. The recruiter came and brought me to another room for the 1 on 1.

Questions:
    What brought you to becoming a flight attendant for Skywest?
    What did they say in the presentation that you didn't know about Skywest or the position of a flight attendant?
    In the work place, what annoys you about people?
    If you caught a coworker stealing what would you do?
    There's a mother with a crying baby, a nervous first time flyer, and a prima donna making alot of demands; what would you do?

Interview Questions
    • DON'T say that you love to travel or that you love working with people, it's too generic! Also, practice your 60 sec introduction so you're not stumbling over your words or rambling on.   Answer Question

Flight Attendant Interview

I applied online – interviewed at SkyWest.

I submitted my resume online and attended one of their recruiting events. There were not a lot of people at our event. You check in and they immediately do a height test. If you pass that, you go in and listen to a lovely lady talk about the company and expectations for the job. They take a quick break to set up and ask you to think about why you want to be a flight attendant. When you return, they call on every one to go up, introduce themselves and tell why they want to be a flight attendant - or would make a good flight attendant. From there they break again and in about 30 minutes had a list of who would go on to the final questions. I made it to the final round of questions. They tell you to expect an email from them in about two weeks. It was a little longer than two weeks, but I was offered an invite to flight attendant training.

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at SkyWest in September 2014.

Got and email invitation for the job interview (open house) in Chicago. So I paid my own flight tickets from my home town and flew all the way there to take a chance because I really love this job and I was pretty confident I would pass the group interview. I think I was well prepared as well as some others who even are more professional and experienced than me. All who I mention, however, did not even pass to the next process(one on one interview). Some of the "chosen ones" are really not professional looking. Hair not brushed, all over the place. T-shirt and jeans. Looking veeery young and SLEEPY and wasn't very attentive to the group interview at at all. Some of the people who passed to 1on1 are not experienced. Dressed up like they are going to a night club or something. And those who failed were dressed nicely and formally and I was so confident for them that they would make it to the final but then...???? I don't know what on earth that interview was about. Could be a set up. Probably they already picked who they wanted to work with, like, you know, a friend's sister's daughter of someone who works there. etc. Hate to put it that way but it was just a joke. Totally disappointment.