Skype Interview Questions & Reviews

Updated Aug 19, 2014
18 interviews

2.9

Executive Assistant Interview

They will do everything they can to make you feel as if it is casual and these conversations are just to determine fit. If you are actually hoping to proceed with them, do not fall to these comforting lures. Stick with your game plan and give them your best business representation of you and your abilities.

Interview Questions
    • There were several hypothetical questions which were likely situations that were actually occurring in the work place. Be on the look out for those, I believe they paint a better picture than when people are talking with you and sharing their views of how they think the culture is.   Answer Question

Mobile QA Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  San Jose, CA
    Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Skype in February 2014.

First round of interview was very brief - I was asked to provide my skype id and was told that I will get a project to do. I can ask question about project through skype only.
    After a week received a project - I had question about project which no one ever answered. Did the project and no response. There was no response till I asked after two days.

Interview Questions
    • To do the project without clarification and requirements   Answer Question

Engineering Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Palo Alto, CA
    Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Skype in February 2012.

Hiring process was a normal one as followed else where. Interview process was a mixed of questions from different areas in the Networking and Telecom. Interviewers wanted more from the candidates and goes all along the boundaries of asking many varied questions even though they are not mentioned in the CV

Software Development Engineer II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  London, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I interviewed online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Skype.

Interviewing process took a while, initially you'll deal with HR contractors.
    You'll typically have to pass a short technical questionnaire over the phone with somebody from HR who will make some questions, they actually don't understand the questions but they are easy and focused enough that they require a spot on answer. Easy.

Then you'll have 2 or 3 interviews via skype with more coding and challenging questions.

The face to face interview will take around half a day and you'll be interviewed by 3 or 5 people (depending on the team). lots of technical questions mainly algorithms and pseudo coding.

Interview Questions
    • To be honest nothing too difficult.

Some, in my opinion, annoying ones like actually naming java, c# or c++ API calls which require just memory rather than skills.
        Answer Question
    Didn't negotiate but my feeling is that i could have.

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  London, England (UK)
    Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I interviewed online. The process took 3 days - interviewed at Skype in December 2013.

I applied for the position online back in November 2013 and received a request for initial interview with a recruiter on Skype about a month later. Standard questions were asked regarding availability, experience - then a face-to-face interview was arranged at their office in Holborn, London.

By that point, the recruiters were nice and friendly, until I went in to met the Head of Production. I had arrived about 15 minutes earlier but nobody showed up to pick me up at reception despite that my arrival was informed to the staff. It was around lunch time so I am not sure if this could be the cause? The girl at the reception were nice enough to chase and investigate why no one is picking me up. About 45 minutes later a pretty sketchy guy showed up. He was very unapologetic about the situation and just said how he got delayed due to some "things", and he took me around the office trying to locate an empty meeting room. Whether he did not book a meeting room or booking had run out due to us being late is unknown.

Through out the interview, conversation was no issue between me and the interviewer. Questions regarding my experience was lightly touched. I understand this may be an initial face-to-face interview, but I couldn't shake off the feeling the guy doesn't really care about the interview. The questions were unstructured and sounded like he didn't know what he should be asking. Also it kind of feels like he doesn't care what my experiences are - he just went on about what they are looking for and what the responsibility this role requires. During the interview we were cut off a few times because the interviewer was looking at his phones.

By the end of interview, I feel nothing valuable has really came out of it for both parties and I can sense that the interviewer felt pretty relieved that the interview is finally over. He couldn't wait to send me off and we just part our ways.

Despite that they say they'd get back to me whether they want to progress further or to provide feedback, they were never in touch again - its been about 2 months now.

To add on top of this, I was approached by another recruiter from Microsoft wanted to have a conversation with me on Skype. But that never follow through for unknown reason. There were no response what-so-ever for messages left on Skype or e-mail.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  London, England (UK)
    Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Skype in August 2013.

Contacted via a recruiter from linked in, went through a very long chat with him and then offered an interview for what the recruiter said was a c# job, got to the interview and although all the questions were about c#(which I answered) I was told that this job absolutely also required php, I got no feedback for about a month and then I was told they had another interview for me that was an even better fit, had an interview with the snr hiring manager (Microsoft) the interview went really well and I answered every question, at the end the interviewer actually told me that it had gone very well and I should definately come back for a final interview, after three weeks of no feedback I asked the girl from HR got one missed call from her and never heard anything since, very disappointing.

Senior Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Stockholm, Stockholm (Sweden)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stockholm, Stockholm (Sweden)

I interviewed online. The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Skype in August 2013.

I was contacted by a Skype recruiter via Skype shortly after applying and we had a quick chat about what I wanted, rough salary expectations and where I wanted to work. He told me about current "leads" and tried to make me a bit excited about the process and Skype.

After a few weeks they managed to arrange my first interview, over Skype. Chatted for 1 hr with a guy in a similar position (although with an impressive amount of experience). He was friendly and very interested in my previous work/research. The interview was technical with many hypothetical questions.

I was informed the next day that the interview had gone well (via Skype again) and that they would contact me to arrange a second interview. Next day I was contacted again and we set up an interview later that day (2 days after first interview). This interview was with me, to be, manager. The interview was slightly more aggressive and the interviewer remarked on some of my short comings and lack of (complete lack of) experience as a PM. There were some hypothetical questions as well but it was still predominantly technical stuff. He informed me, at the end of the interview, that they would bring me in (to Stockholm) for additional interviews, but that my lack of PM experience was an "issue".

2 weeks later I was in Stockholm for what Microsoft seems to call "the loop". They paid my flights, food and hotel. A positive experience.
    The interview day started at 10am and ended at 4 pm. 6 hours with 6 different people. Non of which I had ever talked to before. The interviews were similar in nature to the Skype interviews. People were relaxed and seemed genuinely interested in me as a person. There were many hypotheticals, most of which were designed to showcase my technical imagination and how to handle looming deadlines. One interviewer asked me to whiteboard some diagrams of communication systems, but didn't seem to be too concerned about my lack of experience with the details.

The last interviewer (which seemed to be the big boss) indicated that his job in the process was to make me "excited about the job". He said that he felt that I was already there so we proceeded to discuss Microsoft strategy. I think all the interviewers appreciated an understanding of Skype's and Microsoft's position in the market and their future.

Overall the interview experience was friendly, relaxed and beyond everything else, personal. I felt they viewed me as more than a collection of abbreviations on my CV and they were looking for potential rather than experience. My contact with my personal recruiters have been amazing.

Interview Questions
    • Explain the CELP algorithm to people without mathematical experience.   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took a day - interviewed at Skype.

They were more concerned about my present work and what i implemented there. the project design and my role and some basic c and programming questions.

Software Development Engineer Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Skype.

I had a phone interview with a recruiter in HR team. He said that I will be hearing from him in one week. And I didn't.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Zelenograd (Russia)
    Anonymous Employee in Zelenograd (Russia)

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Skype in July 2013.

I was reached by recruiter in LinkedIn. Interviewing process started with a programming puzzle from HR specialist. She needed to see the exact answer, not how you think. After solving the puzzle I went through 2 one-to-one interviews with Software Engineers using Skype. The first interview was mostly technical, while the second was focusing more on the attitude to software development in a team. There should be on-site interview with the whole team, but I was told that the job was withdrawn due to some internal reasons. Nevertheless I had a nice time preparing in going through the interview.

Interview Questions

Worked for Skype? Contribute to the Community!