Slalom Consulting

Getting the Interview

10 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Chicago, IL

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Slalom Consulting in July 2013.

Interview Details – Got interview through internal referral. Had a quick phone screen with the recruiter and then interviewed with various individuals from junior Business Analysts, to Consultants, as well as Senior Leadership. Everything was very smooth.
The people were great, very interesting and knowledgeable. The Office location were great, and culture was very team and family oriented.

Most questions were behavioral trying to assess the type of challenges you've faced previously, as well as methods and techniques used in the past.

Interview Question – Asked to describe in detail task and context of previous engagements with specific reference to tools and methods used.   Answer Question

Talent Acquisition Manager Interview

Talent Acquisition Manager
Chicago, IL

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Slalom Consulting in November 2013.

Interview Details – I was initially reached out to by a Recruiter that found me via LinkedIn. I then completed 6 in-person interviews that were all 1:1. The process was thorough but well organized and I felt informed of my step/status throughout.

Interview Question – What do you know about Slalom and why would this organization serve as the ideal next step in your career?   Answer Question

Recruiter Interview

Chicago, IL

I applied through other source and interviewed at Slalom Consulting.

Interview Details – Over the course of a couple of years, I have received several interview requests from this company and each time they say they want to schedule another interview and then I don't hear anything from 6 months. Then they call asking if I want to come in to interview again, then they don't call for several more months asking if I want to start the process over. There seems to be a lot of turnover because each time the person that called before is no longer around.

Interview Question – Nothing difficult   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Inconsistency, lack of process, turnover, hearing the same story from other recruiters I know

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Solutions Architect Interview

Solutions Architect
Chicago, IL

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Slalom Consulting.

Interview Details – Several interviews that happened over a 6-week period. 2 of the interviews were technical, and the others were more about company and consulting fit.

Interview Question – Architect solution to technology problem being faced by a real client. White boarding session. Review   View Answer

Chicago, IL

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Slalom Consulting.

Interview Details – Had a phone screen with the recruiter and then later had a 1:1 onsite with the same recruiter, 1:1 interview with a peer to the position, 1:1 interview with someone slightly higher up in the org; and finally a 1:1 with the senior leader of the group I was applying for. The process was fairly routine with half questions about my interests and expectations and the other half was informal behavioral interview questions.

I was not extended an offer which was fairly frustrating given the time and energy I put into the process. I was told in my declination email that I didn't have enough experience for the role (I have about 6 years of deep experience and 12 years of other relevant experience). This surprised me given that one of the people that interviewed me, a peer to the position I was applying for, didn't really have any experience doing the work before they hired her. He/she had work experience but none that was related. The employee that referred me to the role seemed really shocked that I didn't get an offer as well given how much experience I had an the glowing reviews he/she gave me based on our previous work together.

Interview Questions

• Was asked to give information about stakeholder group size on previous client project. It was several years ago, so the info wasn't exactly fresh in my mind.   Answer Question
  • Was asked to explain why I had changed jobs so often in my career (an interesting question given that the interviewer had job hopped more than I had and more often).   Answer Question
  • Was asked to describe if I prefer working solo, as part of a team or leading a team on client projects.   Answer Question

Chicago, IL

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Slalom Consulting.

Interview Details – 1st-Recruiter called you was giving the usual and brief phone interview. She was very nice and friendly.
2nd- Manager phone interview. Just sell yourselff
3rd- Technical interview over google docs. Asked about sql statements, sorting statement

Interview Question – Technical case- In sql does capital letters affect the code?
write down a statement that find lower case b in the table
  Answer Question

Management Consultant Interview

Management Consultant
Chicago, IL

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Slalom Consulting.

Interview Details – I was initially recruited via LinkedIn after my resume was reviewed and was noticed for experience at a large consulting firm.

I was brought in for an initial interview and asked for 180 references and then set up on 3 subsequent interviews, all at client sites (I offered to meet the interviewers, since I was mobile and unemployed at the time. They were very willing to meet me wherever I was available, however).

My first interview was with a consultant, and we discussed day-to-day operations and expectations for an incoming consultant. He was very upbeat, engaging, and enthusiastic. He was inquisitive without being prying, and it felt very much like a discussion and a 'getting to know you' session rather than a formal interview.

My next interview was with a project manager and felt more like a formal interview. I was asked about my previous experience and my take on business problems (how would I handle a difficult client, unexpected situations, personal issues with coworkers, etc). He was more direct and business-like.

They asked the next day if I could move the third interview back to their offices, and I found out that they were interested in making an offer rather than need the third interview. After reviewing their package and discussing terms (there was little/no room to negotiate, and the package had already been slightly above my expectations) I accepted.

Interview Question – What was the most difficult experience you've had managing a team?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – After reviewing their package and discussing terms (there was little/no room to negotiate, and the package had already been slightly above my expectations) I accepted.

Software Engineer/Consultant Interview

Chicago, IL

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Slalom Consulting.

Interview Details – First chatted with a recruiter over the phone. Then met with the recruiter for a casual conversation over coffee. We both decided to move further in the process. Went through several rounds of interviews in the office and met with many employees. Overall it was a great process. The recruiter and employees answered any questions I had and always responded quickly to any emails.

Interview Question – Given an array of numbers, print out Fiz if the number is divisible by 3, Buzz if divisible by 5 and FizzBuzz if divisible by both. Print the number if it is not divisible by either.   View Answers (2)

Practice Lead Interview

Chicago, IL

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Slalom Consulting in February 2011.

Interview Details – A very good, understanding, professional internal recruiter made the entire process really smooth and enjoyable. Catered to how I wanted to have the process go. I was a little surprised with how easy it seemed though. Met with most of the senior leadership in the company and they did a very good job on selling the company to me.

Interview Question – What's the difference between a SharePoint workflow created in Visual Studio vs. SharePoint Designer?   Answer Question

BI Consultant Interview

Chicago, IL

I applied through other source and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Slalom Consulting in December 2010.

Interview Details – Was contacted out of the blue by one of their in-house recruiters. The process was almost comical in its frustration. I wasn't really looking for a job, but seemed like an interesting place so I talked with him and tried to setup an interview only to have it canceled again and again. Days would go by without any contact and then suddenly he would try again to schedule a face-to-face meeting only to cancel the day of.

After many failed meet-up attempts I finally had a day off and was thus able to meet with the recruiter for a few an hour or so at their office. I was admittedly unprepared and pretty much had everything that could go wrong, go wrong, including me being late and showing up under-dressed due to a sandwich mishap in my car. However after another week of not hearing anything I called him again and he said he was glad everything went so well and that he wanted me to meet with the director of the practice.

We actually got something setup, though I had to take a personal day from work to make it happen, and after the pain of the rest of the process I thought the interview went great (it was a fairly standard non-technical interview that lasted about an hour) and yet I never heard from either again. Not knowing if it was the recruiter's usual flakiness or disinterest I tried contacting both the recruiter and the interviewer a few times, so the lack of contact was certainly not an oversight, but it definitely left me annoyed. I still think it seems like an interesting place but, wow, I still can't believe how much the whole process sucked.

Interview Questions

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for Slalom Consulting? Contribute to the Community!

Slalom Consulting Videos

Slalom Consulting – Why Work for Us?

What makes us unique? Slalom Consulting brings business and technology expertise together to help companies drive enterprise performance, accelerate innovation, enhance the customer experience, and increase employee… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Slalom Consulting interview questions and advice in Chicago, IL. All 10 interview reviews posted anonymously by Slalom Consulting employees and interview candidates.