Slalom Consulting Consultant Interview Questions

Updated Mar 3, 2015
Updated Mar 3, 2015

2.6

Consultant Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Slalom Consulting.

The company reps were polite and friendly. I mentioned some concerns with the role during the meeting. The recruiter then surprised me saying my decade + of experience wasn't sufficient for the role. I was quite surprised to hear that, considering they found me and initiated contact. Strange way to end the call.

Other Interview Reviews for Slalom Consulting

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Slalom Consulting in January 2015.

Process moved along quickly, and the staff I met were extremely friendly and knowledgeable. I applied online, and within a week got an email from a Talent Manager. She called me and we chatted for about 30 minutes, discussing my experience, goals, and the company's roles. I then was asked to come into the office to meet a manager. He asked me questions based on my resume.."explain this in more detail.." then some behavioral/situation questions regarding to work experiences. This lasted about 45 minutes, and was very laid back. Had a debrief with Talent Manager afterward to review ideas from the previous interview.

Was not given an offer. I was told they didn't have any projects that currently aligned directly with my skills/experience. I understood, as this is part of this industry. They can only hire consultants that they can immediately place in a current or upcoming project, otherwise you would be on the bench and without a project for a while. I appreciate them being quick and upfront, not leaving me waiting and guessing.

Overall very good, great people, quick and informative process. Very upfront and honest.

Interview Questions
    • Know your resume, and be able to explain each experience on your resume thoroughly. Be able to explain a time you overcame a challenge, or a time you struggled and what you did to overcome. Also, how would you deal with a difficult stakeholder or team member. A few light technical questions, but not focused on that. Be able to explain why Slalom, why consulting, and what kind of culture you want.   View Answer

Consultant Interview

Submitted resume via website; contacted within 2 weeks; Recruiting was above and beyond expectations -- set expectations well and really matched my interests and stage in my career with what Slalom offered. Flew in to interview and put up in hotel, 3 rounds (50-minutes each), received offer within a week. Allowed flexible start date within a 3 months window which was much appreciated!

Interview Questions
    Offer came in a little low. I countered; they countered back I accepted (met in the middle)

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Slalom Consulting.

Process is a bit lengthy and spread out over many days. Expect to speak with 4-5 different people all the way up to senior leadership before getting an offer. Most of the conversations are very casual and they seem to be looking as much for cultural fit as for technical skills or subject area knowledge.

Interview Questions
    • What kind of animal would you be and why?   View Answer
    Slight negotiation on salary with a competing offer. No budge on other stuff like benefits, bonus, etc.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at Slalom Consulting.

Slalom Consulting @NY is one the best when it comes to interview process. HR keeps you well informed through out the process. Even though process took a while (about 5 months), I was always kept in touch with any new developments. I met about 4 to 5 consultants, they were all pleasant and basically you are gauged to see if you can survive as a consultant. My technical interview was not too hard and not to easy. But overall it was a pleasant process.

Interview Questions
    • As a consultant you are expected to be SME, so be well prepared.   Answer Question
    Offer was industry competitive.

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Slalom Consulting in September 2014.

Multiple interviews, all onsite about 1w apart. Hiring manager, then Practice Area Lead, then Partner, and then General Manager. Very laid back, conversational interviews generally. They are looking for a good "fit," not just someone technical. Each interview was ~1hr, so expect to talk about yourself (background, skills, goals). Was asked as the end of each interview if I was still interested in continuing the "conversation."

Went with another offer. Limited vac and holidays, although it was stress they would be flexible in this area.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Slalom Consulting in September 2014.

Working with the recruiters during the interview process was extremely painless and incredibly efficient. I've had several interviews over the last few years and will say that this process at Slalom has been mastered. I applied online and received a phone call a few days later from a very knowledgeable recruiter who proceeded to schedule my next few interviews. I was brought into the office to meet with the talent director who gave me a very detailed overview of how the local office is structured. After agreeing to move forward with the process, I was scheduled to meet with 3 people from the local office who also gave me a very straightforward overview of the culture and projects at Slalom. I was blown away by the entire experience and happily accepted the offer.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Slalom Consulting in September 2014.

I've had 3 different interview experiences with Slalom. I'll go into it chronologically.

Applied to Slalom 4 years ago, trying to lateral from another consulting company. Phone interview, interview with consultants, and interview with a PAL and PAD. All very positive experiences during the interviews, but.... crickets for weeks and months. Silence from the recruiters, they were just not keen on moving or making a decision about my candidacy. Very frustrating experience with no feedback or communications, eventually went with another opportunity.

Second time, got a call out of the blue 2 years later from a recruiter, saying there may be a possible fit. Had one phone interview with him, then AGAIN complete silence. Got an email a couple months later saying the opening was no longer available.

My final (and most successful one) was surprisingly the easiest and quickest. Recruiter again contacted me out of the blue, had a phone screen, then 2 interviews with a PAD. Went in on a Friday, and a week later get an offer.

Overall, everyone was very friendly, no tough technical questions, case interviews, etc. A lot of look for fit. Huge disconnect in communications and really what qualifications are wanted - really depends on who the hiring manager is.

Consultant Interview

Initial screening from recruiter, typically phone call followed by a 1-hour in person interview. Mostly behavioral, with some points of emphasis on your past experiences. If successful, the following 2-3 interviews are with senior leadership resources from the office in which you are applying. These tend to focus 50% on 'fit'and the other 50% on skillset/experiences. The final round interview is with the main General Manager of the local office as a final go ahead.

Interview Questions
    • If you had an blank paycheck, how much would you request and what would you do with it?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Slalom Consulting.

As a whole the interview process was fairly seamless. The recruiter I worked with was very knowledgeable about the organization, he did a very good job of explaining the structure, etc. The interviews themselves were very constructive and provided a good balance of open dialog affording me the opportunity to ask questions.

Interview Questions
    • Be prepared to explain your specific contributions on a project as well as the process you took to get there.   Answer Question