Slalom Consulting Consultant Interview Questions

Updated Sep 1, 2015

2.8

Consultant Interview

Application

The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Slalom Consulting.

Interview

It was a conversational interview based on my prior experiences. Interviews were an hour long and took about 5-6 rounds. A lot of the questions were focused on my core consulting skills and mostly behavioral on how to handle challenging situations and challenging clients.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Slalom Consulting

Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Slalom Consulting.

Interview

It was very unprofessional. The entire experience is like a fly-by-night company. Internal Recruiter contacted me via email, then when I asked some additional questions by email - he did not respond. When I sent another email he responded. He set up an interview and showed up late. Then no answer until I contacted him again. Then he set another interview with a consultant and again no response to any feedback. Strange consulting firm with unprofessional recruiters.

Interview Questions

• Standard interview asking about my professional experience.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Slalom Consulting (Seattle, WA) in August 2015.

Interview

My resume was submitted via a current employee. The first step was a coffee meeting with a recruiter who then floated my resume in front of a team she thought was a good fit. I then met with someone from this team in the Seattle office for an hour. A week later I had a more formal interview with three different leaders from the team. All of the discussions were conversational and based on my past work. Everyone was really friendly and the recruiter was hugely helpful in preparing me for each meeting. I had a great experience which made me excited to accept the job, which was offered two working days after the final round of interviews.

Interview Questions

• Nothing specific, based mostly off of points in my resume (they pulled out key words relevant to the job and had me elaborate on the steps involved in each work stream).   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Slalom Consulting (Seattle, WA).

Interview

I interviewed with one of Slalom's recruiters who was very savvy, supportive, and transparent about the interview process. I then interviewed with the second in command and head of one of their consulting practices. I left with the impression that they were going through a lot of growth and change and were not clear on the type of company it wanted to be. I sensed they were leaving behind elements of their culture that have made them successful in order to start competing with the bigger firms and that was reflected in their lack of clarity on who they wanted to hire. They seem like a great company going through the inevitable growing pains of success and expansion. It will be interesting to see if they navigate that process skilfully.

Interview Questions

• Questions were focused on competencies - what I've done, what I like doing and what skills and experience I bring to the table. Interviews were supportive and conversational in nature. An exploration on what's possible. Positive.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at Slalom Consulting (Portland, OR) in August 2015.

Interview

In depth one on one with two senior managers. Once there was a mutual understanding the company culture would be a fit and that I would be a good fit for the culture, I was asked in for interviews. Met with a Principal consultant and the General Manager for 1 on 1 interviews.

Interview Questions

• Describe how you handle ambiguity?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Slalom Consulting (Los Angeles, CA).

Interview

Both of the HR recruiters I spoke to over the phone were friendly but a bit scattered and unrefined in their approach. Furthermore, I was told I would be brought in the following week for in-person interview, but that invite was quite arbitrarily retracted two days later because of my lack of "formal consulting experience." Nothing had changed in between those two conversations. It is unreasonable for Slalom to expect to be on Bain, McKinsey, BCG or Deloitte's consulting caliber when they don't keep their word. Apply to the others instead.

Interview Questions

• What is the difference between analysis and consulting?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Slalom Consulting (Dallas, TX) in July 2015.

Interview

Interview was a five-stage process, very thorough yet relaxed. HR was supportive and quick to respond to follow-up questions. There was initial phone screen with HR, extended on-site with HR, phone screen with Technologist (subject area architect), on-site with subject area architect and subject area lead, and an additional 30 min Starbucks chat with subject area director. My position was somewhat unique since my skills don't neatly fit into an established consultant role so the fifth interview/chat may not always happen. They are looking at two primary areas: 1) can we work with him, is he a good fit for our culture (which was primarily the purpose of HR interviews) and 2) can he do the job/is he billable (that's what the subject area technologists wanted to know). I really appreciated that they wanted me to solve a business problem rather than ask "tell me a time when you faced a difficult decision - how did you approach it and why", since solving business problems is their bread and butter.

Interview Questions

• Here is a receipt from a restaurant - can you outline the application that probably created this receipt, or a schema that can take this data and present it to a front-end dashboarding application?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Slalom Consulting (Chicago, IL) in July 2015.

Interview

Slalom really needs to get their recruiting process under control. I had multiple recruiters basically fighting over who would get to contact me first, so it seemed like they were extremely interested in my background. However, once I reached out to initiate the process, everything went downhill and they just couldn't recover. Trying to get an interview scheduled was so much more difficult than it needed to be, simply because they would take multiple days, sometimes even a full week to respond. I was finally able to get things scheduled, but after all that trouble, they have just left me hanging with a 'wait to hear about the next steps.' I invested a significant amount of time into this process, and considering that they were the ones to initiate the conversation, the least I would expect is an email saying "Thanks, but no thanks. Here's why..." If you're going to attempt to poach an employee from one of your strongest competitors in a niche market, you may want to treat them with more respect.

Interview Questions

• Lots of detailed questions about platform specific skills.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Slalom Consulting (Palo Alto, CA) in July 2015.

Interview

It was a very positive and encouraging experience. I had 3 rounds. I got an opportunity to meet with several people from the Slalom team (some new in the firm and some who have been there for a while). It was great learning about their experiences with the firm and learning how I would fit in. Everyone was super friendly and wanted to know what peaked my interest, not just what I have done according to my resume. This company would be suitable for people who not only have an expertise, but also want to learn other areas. 1st round: I met with the HR (30 - 45 mins) to walk through my resume and areas of interest. Here, I learnt about the Slalom model and how the company works, its culture, etc. The HR was very friendly yet super professional. 2nd round: Had four 30-45 minute interviews. We sat in a very relaxed environment where I was asked questions related to my resume and interests. 3rd round: Had two 30 -45 minute interviews to basically meet 2 more people who asked about the resume. All the interviewers were extremely friendly and answered the plethora of questions I had for them. I was given an offer after the last interview in their office where they walked me though the paperwork and details.

Interview Questions

• Besides what your resume says, which technical skills would you be interested in learning and why?   Answer Question
    • Describe a project from planning through implementation and explain your role in it.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Slalom Consulting (San Francisco, CA) in July 2015.

Interview

#1: Phone Call with Talent Acquisition team #2 (a week later): In-Person Interview with Talent Acquisition team #3 (a week later): Phone Call with Recruiter #4 (a week later): Phone Screen with Consultant #5 (a week and a half later): In-Person Interviews #6 (two days later): Offer Overall, it was 5 weeks from first contact to offer.

Interview Questions

• In-person interviews consisted of a case and two peer-level inteviews. Case is pretty straight forward. You have a chance to prepare some materials in whatever format you see fit. For the peer interviews, prepare some questions to show you've done your homework and are trying to ascertain a fit with Slalom.   1 Answer