Slalom Consulting Consultant Interview Questions

Updated Jul 20, 2015

2.6

Consultant Interview

Application

The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Slalom Consulting.

Interview

It was a conversational interview based on my prior experiences. Interviews were an hour long and took about 5-6 rounds. A lot of the questions were focused on my core consulting skills and mostly behavioral on how to handle challenging situations and challenging clients.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Slalom Consulting

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Slalom Consulting (Los Angeles, CA).

Interview

Both of the HR recruiters I spoke to over the phone were friendly but a bit scattered and unrefined in their approach. Furthermore, I was told I would be brought in the following week for in-person interview, but that invite was quite arbitrarily retracted two days later because of my lack of "formal consulting experience." Nothing had changed in between those two conversations. It is unreasonable for Slalom to expect to be on Bain, McKinsey, BCG or Deloitte's consulting caliber when they don't keep their word. Apply to the others instead.

Interview Questions

• What is the difference between analysis and consulting?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Slalom Consulting (Chicago, IL).

Interview

It was a very aggressive interview process, but there was a consistency with the messaging from the very beginning. They moved fast and there was never any doubt which direction things were headed. While the general theme was more about a cultural fit, it didn't come without a fair share of questions about technical skills, dealing with various client situations, and delivering with success.

Interview Questions

• There really weren't a lot of questions. It was more conversational, where they would talk about Slalom and the core values, allowing me to ask more questions.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Slalom Consulting (Atlanta, GA) in May 2015.

Interview

The interview process involved 4 stages: A phone screening with talent acquisition, an online programming assessment test, a face to face interview and white boarding with a consultant, and a final round of face to face interviews with the practice area lead, practice area director, a client service partner, and the managing director of technology enablement. This process took a lot of my time as well as theirs and spanned 4 weeks. I was turned away and the reason given was that they felt that my skills were not up to date. I do not know why it took so long to arrive at that conclusion.

Interview Questions

• How do you choose which frameworks to use on a project?   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Slalom Consulting.

Interview

Very loooong. It was pleasant, but long. They interview for culture and team fit as much as skill/experience so there are multiple interviews with many people, some are in the office while many are over coffee or lunch/dinner. I like that they don't want a cookie cutter person or way of thinking. They want diversity of thought and experiences and they're looking for people who are bright, driven, flexible, problem solving, collaborative, and outcomes focused. I enjoyed the interviews and learning as much about the company and interviewers as they learned about me. The process felt like a respectful partnership and the follow up from the recruiting team was always quick and professional.

Interview Questions

• I can't really remember specific questions asked. I rate the interviews as "difficult" only in the sense that they are thorough and do ask targeted, substantial questions about your work, experience, plans for the future, preferred work environment, etc. It was NOT adversarial or intimidating - it was quite informal and comfortable, but definitely not a walk in the park. You need to provide examples of how you solved problems, delighted your clients, dealt with tough decisions and ambiguity, and worked both solo and as part of a diverse team.   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

Interview

Recruited for a senior manager position. My opinion is that Slalom is disorganized. In conversation and action, I ascertained the following: executive leadership through rank-in-file managers talk about about the greater-good but this is a relic of the past. Interviewers are untrained, unprepared, disorganized and will waste your time, with long, supercilious responses. IMPORTANT: If you do not have "Big-4" experience, do not bother to apply. It was stated, this is a go-forward, hiring criteria for the new leaders that will help grow the company from a $500 million to $1.5 billion dollar enterprise. I feel empathy for the young, naive employees that expect promotion, when the stated policy is to hire future leaders, from the outside. My experience was short and bitter. It consisted of two interviews, before I decided the company was not a mid-career fit. I will stay in the "Big 4" for now. At least, there is transparency about workload, 25% better salary, more PTO, and better health benefits. Regarding the no-travel model: expect you will take a pay cut for the privilege of joining the "no-travel" firm and also be less promotable. Just not for me.

Interview Questions

• Mostly conversational but also, the typical puerile nonsense question, "What type of animal would you like to be?"   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Slalom Consulting (Chicago, IL) in April 2015.

Interview

There were 4 interviews back to back, half hour each. Interviewers were very impressive. Just went through resume and asked to speak about work done on projects. It was a very good experience. The office has a beautiful view.

Interview Questions

• Why Slalom is asked over and over again by every interviewer   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Slalom Consulting.

Interview

The company reps were polite and friendly. I mentioned some concerns with the role during the meeting. The recruiter then surprised me saying my decade + of experience wasn't sufficient for the role. I was quite surprised to hear that, considering they found me and initiated contact. Strange way to end the call.

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Slalom Consulting (San Francisco, CA) in January 2015.

Interview

Process moved along quickly, and the staff I met were extremely friendly and knowledgeable. I applied online, and within a week got an email from a Talent Manager. She called me and we chatted for about 30 minutes, discussing my experience, goals, and the company's roles. I then was asked to come into the office to meet a manager. He asked me questions based on my resume.."explain this in more detail.." then some behavioral/situation questions regarding to work experiences. This lasted about 45 minutes, and was very laid back. Had a debrief with Talent Manager afterward to review ideas from the previous interview. Was not given an offer. I was told they didn't have any projects that currently aligned directly with my skills/experience. I understood, as this is part of this industry. They can only hire consultants that they can immediately place in a current or upcoming project, otherwise you would be on the bench and without a project for a while. I appreciate them being quick and upfront, not leaving me waiting and guessing. Overall very good, great people, quick and informative process. Very upfront and honest.

Interview Questions

• Know your resume, and be able to explain each experience on your resume thoroughly. Be able to explain a time you overcame a challenge, or a time you struggled and what you did to overcome. Also, how would you deal with a difficult stakeholder or team member. A few light technical questions, but not focused on that. Be able to explain why Slalom, why consulting, and what kind of culture you want.   1 Answer

Consultant Interview

Interview

Submitted resume via website; contacted within 2 weeks; Recruiting was above and beyond expectations -- set expectations well and really matched my interests and stage in my career with what Slalom offered. Flew in to interview and put up in hotel, 3 rounds (50-minutes each), received offer within a week. Allowed flexible start date within a 3 months window which was much appreciated!

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Offer came in a little low. I countered; they countered back I accepted (met in the middle)