Slalom Consulting

Getting the Interview

42 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Denver, CO

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Slalom Consulting in March 2014.

Interview Details – Saw the position had been posted on LinkedIn and contacted. Received a response within a few hours and set up a meeting with recruiter. Learned more about the company and set up for next steps, which was a face-to-face with another similar level consultant. Talked about previous experiences, wasn't really a tech screen, but I think it was more to get a feel for how I interacted and communicated.

Next step was a technical screen with an architect-level consultant. Set up a screen-sharing session and he gave me a problem and had me solve it in the IDE. Gave me 15 minutes to solve and improve it--it was a very simple question designed to allow me to show how I would take a basic request and improve it with OO paradigm and other high-level architecture.

Next step was a face-to-face with a few of the leaders of the local office. Various soft questions about previous experiences, issues with coworkers, successes and failures and what I'd change.

Interview Question – What are you passionate about?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was able to negotiate a bit on the salary, though their initial offer was very fair.

Seattle, WA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3+ months - interviewed at Slalom Consulting in December 2013.

Interview Details – I was introduced to Slalom by a former co-worker who had good things to say about the firm. I was first contacted via LinkedIn, and after following up to that I had a couple of phone conversations with the recruiting team. I spoke both with the National team’s recruiter as well as the local team’s recruiter. I was more interested in a local role, so that recruiter and I set up a face to face meeting for a week or so later.
In that meeting I got to learn more about the company and culture, and what it means to be a consultant, since I did not have previous experience in that kind of role. During this conversation, I became more interested in the opportunity, and so the recruiter offered to arrange a technical phone screen, which I did a week or so later. The interviewer spent about an hour on the phone with me asking very appropriate questions that would give them a good idea whether or not I really knew what I had listed on my resume.
After the phone screen, we arrange a face-to-face interview at the Slalom office. There I met 3 people and with each had about a 45 minute conversation. The focus of each interviewer was more around a “consulting” theme, as opposed to any deep technical discussions. For example, trade-offs of different technology choices, and what-if’s: the client wants to go a certain direction with the project, what would you advise them? Again, all very appropriate questions to determine if someone would be suitable for a role as a consultant. My impression was that it was more of an assessment of my temperament and people skills, along with my ability to discuss high-level technical matters, than any detailed facts I may know about any particular system.
Then approximately a few days following that interview I received a call from the recruiter to say they would like to make an offer, and they gave me an opportunity to lay out my expectations for compensation. A day or two later I received a verbal offer and then shortly after, I met once more in person with the recruiter to review the offer in detail.
All in all, a very professional and comfortable process from beginning to end.

Interview Question – Some syntax questions on SQL statements. Only difficult because I had not used that feature in a while.   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Consultant

I applied in-person and the process took 8 months - interviewed at Slalom Consulting.

Interview Details – The process is pretty fluid and takes several months. In addition to discussions with local and regional GMs, several interviews and lunches with staff occurred.

Dallas, TX

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Slalom Consulting in February 2014.

Interview Details – I connected with an old coworker on LinkedIn while sending my resume out to job prospects. I spoke with a recruiter on the phone who was pleasant and very vocal about Slalom's accolades.

After the phone interviews I met the recruiter in person who went over Slalom in more detail (who they are, what the organizational structure is, what they value, etc.).

A few days later I met with a Solution Principal for lunch who asked me questions geared toward my technical background and my career goals.

The following week I was contacted to go for a final interview at the Slalom office in Dallas where I met with a Practice Area Lead and a Director. There we spoke more of how Slalom and I could be a good match and more specifics about my technical skills. Those technical questions involved dimensional modeling techniques and some SQL-based activities.

Interview Question – Let's say you have a column within a database table that contains unformatted text of varying length and format, but you do know it's supposed to hold a person's name. How would you query that column efficiently and return the desired results in "proper case?" Answer can be based on SQL logic, C++, Java, or otherwise.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I had a range in mind but came down a little bit after learning about the annual performance bonus.

New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Slalom Consulting in September 2013.

Interview Details – I was contacted by an internal nation-wide recruiter in Seattle before speaking with a recruiter from the local office. Most of the initial interview process was explaining details about the company, and getting a general understanding of my background. Finally, I was invited for a final all-day interview with 4 leaders in the office. The first interview was with the consulting lead for the office, so this was the most serious, with the following 3 meetings focusing more on any questions I have about the company. I found all of them to be very honest, providing me with criticisms of the company as well as the positive points.

Interview Question – I was asked to present a difficult challenge I had experienced on a client engagement. We then went into significant detail on certain aspects of the case, with the intention of gathering an idea of my thought process.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Seems that the cash base salary was the only negotiable piece. Bonuses are based on performance, and vacation days are defined company-wide.

Consultant Interview

I applied online and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Slalom Consulting.

Interview Details – The interview process was smooth and I was really impressed with the HR. She made sure to keep me in the loop. I went through 6 interviews all of them over the phone. It was very disappointing that they were not able to figure out my background in first few interviews. I talked to senior level consultants, directors, managers, technical consultant and all provided great reviews. In the end I was told my background didn't have enough consulting background. This was clear on my resume to begin with as I have over 10 years of experience as FTE and some experience in consulting. So just deciding not to move forward based on this reason was the biggest waste of my time as well as theirs. I was expecting a lot more from them based on the reviews I had heard.

It was shocking as I had all the skillsets - both technical and functional.

Interview Question – Req gathering; BI questions; Technical questions around db;   Answer Question

Chicago, IL

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Slalom Consulting in July 2013.

Interview Details – Got interview through internal referral. Had a quick phone screen with the recruiter and then interviewed with various individuals from junior Business Analysts, to Consultants, as well as Senior Leadership. Everything was very smooth.
The people were great, very interesting and knowledgeable. The Office location were great, and culture was very team and family oriented.

Most questions were behavioral trying to assess the type of challenges you've faced previously, as well as methods and techniques used in the past.

Interview Question – Asked to describe in detail task and context of previous engagements with specific reference to tools and methods used.   Answer Question

Los Angeles, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Slalom Consulting.

Interview Details – Contacted by recruiter, then first short interview with talent acquisition manager. Followed by 1 Technical phone screen with current consultant in team, 1 in-person interview with solution architect, 1 in-person interview with practice area director, 1 in-person interview with practice lead. Process was fast, very well coordinated. Excellent experience. All interviewers have great knowledge in their fields with passion.

Interview Question – If you have been working well in your field, you won't have any problem with answering technical questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They offered me right amount at first, so I just accepted it

Atlanta, GA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Slalom Consulting.

Interview Details – My initial interview was with one of the internal recruiters to talk about the company and a high-level overview of my experience. After that, she introduced me to one of the business development employees as well as a client service lead to talk more specifically about how I might fit-in with some of their projects. From there, we discussed specific opportunities and an offer, which i accepted. The whole process took a few weeks but they were always honest and up front with me about the current status and next steps.

Interview Question – Nothing unexpected. The interviews were mostly about past experience and future work and project goals.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I did not negotiate. I was up front during the process about my salary expectations and the offer met those expectations.

Chicago, IL

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Slalom Consulting.

Interview Details – Had a phone screen with the recruiter and then later had a 1:1 onsite with the same recruiter, 1:1 interview with a peer to the position, 1:1 interview with someone slightly higher up in the org; and finally a 1:1 with the senior leader of the group I was applying for. The process was fairly routine with half questions about my interests and expectations and the other half was informal behavioral interview questions.

I was not extended an offer which was fairly frustrating given the time and energy I put into the process. I was told in my declination email that I didn't have enough experience for the role (I have about 6 years of deep experience and 12 years of other relevant experience). This surprised me given that one of the people that interviewed me, a peer to the position I was applying for, didn't really have any experience doing the work before they hired her. He/she had work experience but none that was related. The employee that referred me to the role seemed really shocked that I didn't get an offer as well given how much experience I had an the glowing reviews he/she gave me based on our previous work together.

Interview Questions

• Was asked to give information about stakeholder group size on previous client project. It was several years ago, so the info wasn't exactly fresh in my mind.   Answer Question
  • Was asked to explain why I had changed jobs so often in my career (an interesting question given that the interviewer had job hopped more than I had and more often).   Answer Question
  • Was asked to describe if I prefer working solo, as part of a team or leading a team on client projects.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Slalom Consulting

Worked for Slalom Consulting? Contribute to the Community!

Slalom Consulting Videos

Slalom Consulting – Why Work for Us?

What makes us unique? Slalom Consulting brings business and technology expertise together to help companies drive enterprise performance, accelerate innovation, enhance the customer experience, and increase employee… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Slalom Consulting Consultant interview questions and advice. All 42 interview reviews posted anonymously by Slalom Consulting employees and interview candidates.