Slalom Consulting Interview Questions

Updated Jul 28, 2015

2.7

Consultant Interview

Application

The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Slalom Consulting.

Interview

It was a conversational interview based on my prior experiences. Interviews were an hour long and took about 5-6 rounds. A lot of the questions were focused on my core consulting skills and mostly behavioral on how to handle challenging situations and challenging clients.

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Slalom Consulting (Los Angeles, CA).

Interview

Both of the HR recruiters I spoke to over the phone were friendly but a bit scattered and unrefined in their approach. Furthermore, I was told I would be brought in the following week for in-person interview, but that invite was quite arbitrarily retracted two days later because of my lack of "formal consulting experience." Nothing had changed in between those two conversations. It is unreasonable for Slalom to expect to be on Bain, McKinsey, BCG or Deloitte's consulting caliber when they don't keep their word. Apply to the others instead.

Interview Questions

• What is the difference between analysis and consulting?   Answer Question

Practice Area Lead Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Slalom Consulting (Seattle, WA) in July 2015.

Interview

I applied online and a recruiter contacted me immediately. After a short phone screen I met the Director of Recruiting of a relaxed chat 60min in a Starbucks store. We talked about the role, my experience and expectations. She was open and deferred questions to the HM if she could not answer them. I asked for an expedited interview process as I interviewed with Microsoft in parallel. Slalom accommodated this and the recruiting team set up a first interview with the HM 2 weeks later, followed by a loop of 4 senior execs (Managing Director level) in the week after. The interviews were more focused on cultural fit than on particular skills. Slalom is a very people focused company and we spend a lot of time on people management topics (conflict resolution, career development, motivation, ...). I have a lot of experience in this area and felt pretty comfortable. Another focus area was practice management, including managing demand/supply, delivery excellence and pipeline management. It was not too tough, mostly just checking relevant experience. The overall experience was awesome. I received an verbal offer 24 hours later, followed by a formal offer letter in 3 days. I was never let in the dark were I stand and was always aware what step will happen next. Everybody was super friendly and humble, I felt never stressed or "tested" during the interviews. That experience was a key factor in my decision to go to Slalom, despite the fact I had 2 more lucrative competing offers.

Interview Questions

• How would you react to a request of a key resource to be rolled of a project while the customer demands to keep the consultant on?   1 Answer

Senior Level Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Slalom Consulting (Houston, TX) in June 2015.

Interview

The process was disorganized: I applied through the website, and when I did my follow up call to the recruiter I was told they don't have access to the database where all the applications go!! I went through 2 interviews and was told I would be called back for a third which would involve up to 3 people and maybe lunch. Then I got a call to say that as I had no big 4 background they were not interested, yet nowhere in the job description nor at any time during the interview process did that requirement get stated. Dishonest to say the least!!

Cloud Services Architect Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Slalom Consulting (Chicago, IL) in June 2015.

Interview

- Initial interview with Talent Manager, non-technical - Skype with Principle Architect, technical review - F2F with Director and Principle Architect - 3 hour Presentation of the Cloud/Data center work I had done and dive into Technical aspects (How do I present (represent to clients), Do I know what I am presenting (reply to Business and Technical aspects), how do I think (Planning, Thinking on one's feet)

Interview Questions

• - What problems did I venture and research into placing Legacy components into the "Cloud"? - What parts of Business architecture can be made Cloud-ready and what cannot? - How can you progress a Cloud initiative with some legacy components not working well in a "Cloud"? - How do you balance Enterprise Security with Cloud components and Legacy components?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Slalom Consulting (Chicago, IL).

Interview

It was a very aggressive interview process, but there was a consistency with the messaging from the very beginning. They moved fast and there was never any doubt which direction things were headed. While the general theme was more about a cultural fit, it didn't come without a fair share of questions about technical skills, dealing with various client situations, and delivering with success.

Interview Questions

• There really weren't a lot of questions. It was more conversational, where they would talk about Slalom and the core values, allowing me to ask more questions.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Slalom Consulting (Atlanta, GA) in May 2015.

Interview

The interview process involved 4 stages: A phone screening with talent acquisition, an online programming assessment test, a face to face interview and white boarding with a consultant, and a final round of face to face interviews with the practice area lead, practice area director, a client service partner, and the managing director of technology enablement. This process took a lot of my time as well as theirs and spanned 4 weeks. I was turned away and the reason given was that they felt that my skills were not up to date. I do not know why it took so long to arrive at that conclusion.

Interview Questions

• How do you choose which frameworks to use on a project?   Answer Question

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Slalom Consulting.

Interview

I spoke with a recruiter via phone and was then brought in for an in-office interview. The recruiter was honest and straightforward (which was absolutely refreshing) engaging, energetic and wholly enraptured with Slalom, it's business model, and the goals for it's future. His outlook and admiration for his company were infectious. The culture there is palpable.

Interview Questions

• What is something unique to me that has contributed greatly to my career successes thus far.   Answer Question

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter via LinkedIn. Seemed very interested in my profile and ‘hoped to hear soon from me’. I followed up with my resume, she asked if I could swing by a coffee shop that was almost 15 miles from where I lived for an informal meeting. We met there the following Friday, but never heard back from her after that. Giving her the benefit of doubt, and assuming that I was a total tool during the meeting, I still deserve to know which direction we would go. I had to take time out from my day and go meet with her. I would put that under the no professional ethics category. I was not even in the market for a job change, all I, or anyone in my position, would expect is to hear back from someone that initiated the conversation. This implied invalidation of someone’s effort by naive/short sighted at best and rude/foolish at worst recruiters is very frustrating. I will avoid this company in the future.

Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Slalom Consulting.

Interview

Very loooong. It was pleasant, but long. They interview for culture and team fit as much as skill/experience so there are multiple interviews with many people, some are in the office while many are over coffee or lunch/dinner. I like that they don't want a cookie cutter person or way of thinking. They want diversity of thought and experiences and they're looking for people who are bright, driven, flexible, problem solving, collaborative, and outcomes focused. I enjoyed the interviews and learning as much about the company and interviewers as they learned about me. The process felt like a respectful partnership and the follow up from the recruiting team was always quick and professional.

Interview Questions

• I can't really remember specific questions asked. I rate the interviews as "difficult" only in the sense that they are thorough and do ask targeted, substantial questions about your work, experience, plans for the future, preferred work environment, etc. It was NOT adversarial or intimidating - it was quite informal and comfortable, but definitely not a walk in the park. You need to provide examples of how you solved problems, delighted your clients, dealt with tough decisions and ambiguity, and worked both solo and as part of a diverse team.   Answer Question