Slalom Consulting Interview Questions

Updated Jun 24, 2015

2.7

Senior Level Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Slalom Consulting (Houston, TX) in June 2015.

Interview

The process was disorganized: I applied through the website, and when I did my follow up call to the recruiter I was told they don't have access to the database where all the applications go!! I went through 2 interviews and was told I would be called back for a third which would involve up to 3 people and maybe lunch. Then I got a call to say that as I had no big 4 background they were not interested, yet nowhere in the job description nor at any time during the interview process did that requirement get stated. Dishonest to say the least!!

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Slalom Consulting (Chicago, IL).

Interview

It was a very aggressive interview process, but there was a consistency with the messaging from the very beginning. They moved fast and there was never any doubt which direction things were headed. While the general theme was more about a cultural fit, it didn't come without a fair share of questions about technical skills, dealing with various client situations, and delivering with success.

Interview Questions

• There really weren't a lot of questions. It was more conversational, where they would talk about Slalom and the core values, allowing me to ask more questions.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Slalom Consulting (Atlanta, GA) in May 2015.

Interview

The interview process involved 4 stages: A phone screening with talent acquisition, an online programming assessment test, a face to face interview and white boarding with a consultant, and a final round of face to face interviews with the practice area lead, practice area director, a client service partner, and the managing director of technology enablement. This process took a lot of my time as well as theirs and spanned 4 weeks. I was turned away and the reason given was that they felt that my skills were not up to date. I do not know why it took so long to arrive at that conclusion.

Interview Questions

• How do you choose which frameworks to use on a project?   Answer Question

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Slalom Consulting.

Interview

I spoke with a recruiter via phone and was then brought in for an in-office interview. The recruiter was honest and straightforward (which was absolutely refreshing) engaging, energetic and wholly enraptured with Slalom, it's business model, and the goals for it's future. His outlook and admiration for his company were infectious. The culture there is palpable.

Interview Questions

• What is something unique to me that has contributed greatly to my career successes thus far.   Answer Question

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter via LinkedIn. Seemed very interested in my profile and ‘hoped to hear soon from me’. I followed up with my resume, she asked if I could swing by a coffee shop that was almost 15 miles from where I lived for an informal meeting. We met there the following Friday, but never heard back from her after that. Giving her the benefit of doubt, and assuming that I was a total tool during the meeting, I still deserve to know which direction we would go. I had to take time out from my day and go meet with her.
    I would put that under the no professional ethics category. I was not even in the market for a job change, all I, or anyone in my position, would expect is to hear back from someone that initiated the conversation. This implied invalidation of someone’s effort by naive/short sighted at best and rude/foolish at worst recruiters is very frustrating. I will avoid this company in the future.

Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Slalom Consulting.

Interview

Very loooong. It was pleasant, but long. They interview for culture and team fit as much as skill/experience so there are multiple interviews with many people, some are in the office while many are over coffee or lunch/dinner. I like that they don't want a cookie cutter person or way of thinking. They want diversity of thought and experiences and they're looking for people who are bright, driven, flexible, problem solving, collaborative, and outcomes focused. I enjoyed the interviews and learning as much about the company and interviewers as they learned about me. The process felt like a respectful partnership and the follow up from the recruiting team was always quick and professional.

Interview Questions

• I can't really remember specific questions asked. I rate the interviews as "difficult" only in the sense that they are thorough and do ask targeted, substantial questions about your work, experience, plans for the future, preferred work environment, etc. It was NOT adversarial or intimidating - it was quite informal and comfortable, but definitely not a walk in the park. You need to provide examples of how you solved problems, delighted your clients, dealt with tough decisions and ambiguity, and worked both solo and as part of a diverse team.   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

Interview

Recruited for a senior manager position. My opinion is that Slalom is disorganized. In conversation and action, I ascertained the following: executive leadership through rank-in-file managers talk about about the greater-good but this is a relic of the past. Interviewers are untrained, unprepared, disorganized and will waste your time, with long, supercilious responses. IMPORTANT: If you do not have "Big-4" experience, do not bother to apply. It was stated, this is a go-forward, hiring criteria for the new leaders that will help grow the company from a $500 million to $1.5 billion dollar enterprise. I feel empathy for the young, naive employees that expect promotion, when the stated policy is to hire future leaders, from the outside. My experience was short and bitter. It consisted of two interviews, before I decided the company was not a mid-career fit. I will stay in the "Big 4" for now. At least, there is transparency about workload, 25% better salary, more PTO, and better health benefits. Regarding the no-travel model: expect you will take a pay cut for the privilege of joining the "no-travel" firm and also be less promotable. Just not for me.

Interview Questions

• Mostly conversational but also, the typical puerile nonsense question, "What type of animal would you like to be?"   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Slalom Consulting (Chicago, IL) in April 2015.

Interview

There were 4 interviews back to back, half hour each. Interviewers were very impressive. Just went through resume and asked to speak about work done on projects. It was a very good experience. The office has a beautiful view.

Interview Questions

• Why Slalom is asked over and over again by every interviewer   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Slalom Consulting in April 2015.

Interview

Short interview w/HR, 2 technical interviews w/o many actually coding questions. Told me over and over than I'd hear back whether or not I got a job, pushing the date back each time. In the end I heard nothing after invested quite a bit of time.

Interview Questions

• Can't remember specifics, mostly just asking about my experience   Answer Question

OE Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Slalom Consulting (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

1) phone screen 2) peer interview and technical competency review 3) intense case study interview 4) director interview. All of the interviews except the case study are behavioral-centric, very conversational and casual in nature. The case study interview in pretty in-depth and they hammer you with questions. Everyone was very friendly throughout the process except for the case study interview where they seemed distracted and straight-to-business. The recruiters are extremely accommodating and try their best to work with your timeline.

Interview Questions

• Typical management consulting interview questions. The case study is intense. Not everyone does one and they switch them up but the one I got was pretty complex.   Answer Question