Slalom Consulting Interview Questions

Updated Aug 1, 2015

2.7

Senior Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Slalom Consulting (Boston, MA) in May 2015.

Interview

Participated in several rounds of phone interviews. The Slalom representative was friendly but her work ethic was terrible. She would set appointments to connect and then just fail to show up. She seemed distracted and generally unprofessional. After finally talking several times, she expressed a desire for me to come into the office for in-person interviews. I gave her my availability and never heard back. I would never work here based on this interaction with Slalom. It shows me that they don't really respect other peoples time.

Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Slalom Consulting.

Interview

Very loooong. It was pleasant, but long. They interview for culture and team fit as much as skill/experience so there are multiple interviews with many people, some are in the office while many are over coffee or lunch/dinner. I like that they don't want a cookie cutter person or way of thinking. They want diversity of thought and experiences and they're looking for people who are bright, driven, flexible, problem solving, collaborative, and outcomes focused. I enjoyed the interviews and learning as much about the company and interviewers as they learned about me. The process felt like a respectful partnership and the follow up from the recruiting team was always quick and professional.

Interview Questions

• I can't really remember specific questions asked. I rate the interviews as "difficult" only in the sense that they are thorough and do ask targeted, substantial questions about your work, experience, plans for the future, preferred work environment, etc. It was NOT adversarial or intimidating - it was quite informal and comfortable, but definitely not a walk in the park. You need to provide examples of how you solved problems, delighted your clients, dealt with tough decisions and ambiguity, and worked both solo and as part of a diverse team.   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

Interview

Recruited for a senior manager position. My opinion is that Slalom is disorganized. In conversation and action, I ascertained the following: executive leadership through rank-in-file managers talk about about the greater-good but this is a relic of the past. Interviewers are untrained, unprepared, disorganized and will waste your time, with long, supercilious responses. IMPORTANT: If you do not have "Big-4" experience, do not bother to apply. It was stated, this is a go-forward, hiring criteria for the new leaders that will help grow the company from a $500 million to $1.5 billion dollar enterprise. I feel empathy for the young, naive employees that expect promotion, when the stated policy is to hire future leaders, from the outside. My experience was short and bitter. It consisted of two interviews, before I decided the company was not a mid-career fit. I will stay in the "Big 4" for now. At least, there is transparency about workload, 25% better salary, more PTO, and better health benefits. Regarding the no-travel model: expect you will take a pay cut for the privilege of joining the "no-travel" firm and also be less promotable. Just not for me.

Interview Questions

• Mostly conversational but also, the typical puerile nonsense question, "What type of animal would you like to be?"   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Slalom Consulting (Chicago, IL) in April 2015.

Interview

There were 4 interviews back to back, half hour each. Interviewers were very impressive. Just went through resume and asked to speak about work done on projects. It was a very good experience. The office has a beautiful view.

Interview Questions

• Why Slalom is asked over and over again by every interviewer   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Slalom Consulting in April 2015.

Interview

Short interview w/HR, 2 technical interviews w/o many actually coding questions. Told me over and over than I'd hear back whether or not I got a job, pushing the date back each time. In the end I heard nothing after invested quite a bit of time.

Interview Questions

• Can't remember specifics, mostly just asking about my experience   Answer Question

Talent Acquisition Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Slalom Consulting (San Francisco, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

I was an out of state candidate so my interview process started with a few phone and virtual interviews. My final interview consisted of a full day on-site interview with several members of the leadership team in the market I was targeting. It was an intense day of interviews but it allowed me to fully grasp the type of team and organization I would be joining. They asked tough questions about my background and accomplishments, but it wasn't overwhelming and I still felt comfortable throughout the process.

Interview Questions

• We feel that we've exhausted the candidate pipeline for X skill set here in San Francisco. If you were hired, how would you approach this challenge?   Answer Question

OE Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Slalom Consulting (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

1) phone screen 2) peer interview and technical competency review 3) intense case study interview 4) director interview. All of the interviews except the case study are behavioral-centric, very conversational and casual in nature. The case study interview in pretty in-depth and they hammer you with questions. Everyone was very friendly throughout the process except for the case study interview where they seemed distracted and straight-to-business. The recruiters are extremely accommodating and try their best to work with your timeline.

Interview Questions

• Typical management consulting interview questions. The case study is intense. Not everyone does one and they switch them up but the one I got was pretty complex.   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Slalom Consulting (Boston, MA) in March 2015.

Interview

The whole process was not professional. I was unhappy to talk with the HR person from Slalom, and the recruiter was unprofessional and it seems that they did not take the work seriously. I do not like that culture.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Slalom Consulting in March 2015.

Interview

Very straight forward process. I was referred by an existing employee and then had a phone screen with a recruiter (non-technical, this was to check for culture fit). From there I had a tech phone screen with a solution architect where I was asked about basic programming concepts, databases, web technologies, and other high level stuff that is pretty standard if you have ever done web development. I then had a 1 hour on site interview with a solution architect which consisted of about 40 minutes of him asking me specific questions about languages I knew and 20 minutes of me showing him things I had built before ( I brought a tablet with). That was on a Friday and then on Monday morning I received a call back to schedule another onsite interview, which we scheduled for Friday. This one consisted of 2 one hour interviews. The first was with the manager of the team I would be joining and we talked about the web, and I was asked to do some design tasks. The second was with a solution architect and we talked more about my resume and about things like REST. Surprisingly I was not asked any Algorithm questions during the entire interview process. They seemed more interested in my level of understanding of the day to day of web development. I got a call back Monday morning saying that my recruiter wanted to meet to discuss an offer. The offer was competitive, but I asked for more $ just to test the waters and they ended up saying no to the additional $, which is fine since I was happy with the initial offer.

Interview Questions

• Database design, how the web works, specific questions about features of languages I that I said knew. We also walked through my resume and talked about the various technologies I said I was familiar with. Nothing hard or out of the ordinary -- just make sure you know anything that you put on your resume   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Slalom Consulting.

Interview

The company reps were polite and friendly. I mentioned some concerns with the role during the meeting. The recruiter then surprised me saying my decade + of experience wasn't sufficient for the role. I was quite surprised to hear that, considering they found me and initiated contact. Strange way to end the call.