Slalom Consulting

Relevance Date Difficulty

Management Consultant Interview

Management Consultant
Los Angeles, CA

I applied through other source and interviewed at Slalom Consulting.

Interview Details – Extremely long interview process. I had interviews with 6 separate folks in the Los Angeles office ranging from recruiting staff to Managing Directors and after all the time invested by Slalom and myself, the company decided not to hire me! My understanding of why they decided not to progress with me was that my experience was only on large client engagements.

Interview Question – Describe how you handle transitions e.g. between teams, phases, projects, etc.   Answer Question

Senior Consultanth Interview

Senior Consultanth

I applied through other source and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Slalom Consulting.

Interview Details – Interview process involved in several initial inquiries via Linkedin, a light general email exchange then a 30 in phone conversation where we discussed what I knew about the firm, the group and the particular technology practice. Interviews were set up with 3-4 consultants and managers and finally the group partner. After 5 weeks and 5 hours of my time (while already employed), no email or phone call was even made to thank me for my time or the effort put into the interview process or explain what decision was made. Several email and phone calls were made to the Partner and the recruiter. Completely unprofessional end to what ended up being a complete waste of time. I would not recommend interviewing here inlight of poor professionalism.

Interview Question – What do you want to do with your career. Difficult because the group was very new and no indication or discussion of where I would fit in was made.   View Answer

Business Consultant Interview

Business Consultant

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Slalom Consulting.

Interview Details – A few one-on-one interviews beginning with a screening by the recruiter (to identify the right role, confirm fit, etc), followed by conversations with consulting leadership in the office.

Negotiation Details – Not much room for negotiation

Seattle, WA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3+ months - interviewed at Slalom Consulting in December 2013.

Interview Details – I was introduced to Slalom by a former co-worker who had good things to say about the firm. I was first contacted via LinkedIn, and after following up to that I had a couple of phone conversations with the recruiting team. I spoke both with the National team’s recruiter as well as the local team’s recruiter. I was more interested in a local role, so that recruiter and I set up a face to face meeting for a week or so later.
In that meeting I got to learn more about the company and culture, and what it means to be a consultant, since I did not have previous experience in that kind of role. During this conversation, I became more interested in the opportunity, and so the recruiter offered to arrange a technical phone screen, which I did a week or so later. The interviewer spent about an hour on the phone with me asking very appropriate questions that would give them a good idea whether or not I really knew what I had listed on my resume.
After the phone screen, we arrange a face-to-face interview at the Slalom office. There I met 3 people and with each had about a 45 minute conversation. The focus of each interviewer was more around a “consulting” theme, as opposed to any deep technical discussions. For example, trade-offs of different technology choices, and what-if’s: the client wants to go a certain direction with the project, what would you advise them? Again, all very appropriate questions to determine if someone would be suitable for a role as a consultant. My impression was that it was more of an assessment of my temperament and people skills, along with my ability to discuss high-level technical matters, than any detailed facts I may know about any particular system.
Then approximately a few days following that interview I received a call from the recruiter to say they would like to make an offer, and they gave me an opportunity to lay out my expectations for compensation. A day or two later I received a verbal offer and then shortly after, I met once more in person with the recruiter to review the offer in detail.
All in all, a very professional and comfortable process from beginning to end.

Interview Question – Some syntax questions on SQL statements. Only difficult because I had not used that feature in a while.   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Consultant

I applied in-person and the process took 8 months - interviewed at Slalom Consulting.

Interview Details – The process is pretty fluid and takes several months. In addition to discussions with local and regional GMs, several interviews and lunches with staff occurred.

Dallas, TX

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Slalom Consulting in February 2014.

Interview Details – I connected with an old coworker on LinkedIn while sending my resume out to job prospects. I spoke with a recruiter on the phone who was pleasant and very vocal about Slalom's accolades.

After the phone interviews I met the recruiter in person who went over Slalom in more detail (who they are, what the organizational structure is, what they value, etc.).

A few days later I met with a Solution Principal for lunch who asked me questions geared toward my technical background and my career goals.

The following week I was contacted to go for a final interview at the Slalom office in Dallas where I met with a Practice Area Lead and a Director. There we spoke more of how Slalom and I could be a good match and more specifics about my technical skills. Those technical questions involved dimensional modeling techniques and some SQL-based activities.

Interview Question – Let's say you have a column within a database table that contains unformatted text of varying length and format, but you do know it's supposed to hold a person's name. How would you query that column efficiently and return the desired results in "proper case?" Answer can be based on SQL logic, C++, Java, or otherwise.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I had a range in mind but came down a little bit after learning about the annual performance bonus.

New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Slalom Consulting in September 2013.

Interview Details – I was contacted by an internal nation-wide recruiter in Seattle before speaking with a recruiter from the local office. Most of the initial interview process was explaining details about the company, and getting a general understanding of my background. Finally, I was invited for a final all-day interview with 4 leaders in the office. The first interview was with the consulting lead for the office, so this was the most serious, with the following 3 meetings focusing more on any questions I have about the company. I found all of them to be very honest, providing me with criticisms of the company as well as the positive points.

Interview Question – I was asked to present a difficult challenge I had experienced on a client engagement. We then went into significant detail on certain aspects of the case, with the intention of gathering an idea of my thought process.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Seems that the cash base salary was the only negotiable piece. Bonuses are based on performance, and vacation days are defined company-wide.

Consultant

I applied online and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Slalom Consulting.

Interview Details – The interview process was smooth and I was really impressed with the HR. She made sure to keep me in the loop. I went through 6 interviews all of them over the phone. It was very disappointing that they were not able to figure out my background in first few interviews. I talked to senior level consultants, directors, managers, technical consultant and all provided great reviews. In the end I was told my background didn't have enough consulting background. This was clear on my resume to begin with as I have over 10 years of experience as FTE and some experience in consulting. So just deciding not to move forward based on this reason was the biggest waste of my time as well as theirs. I was expecting a lot more from them based on the reviews I had heard.

It was shocking as I had all the skillsets - both technical and functional.

Interview Question – Req gathering; BI questions; Technical questions around db;   Answer Question

Business Intelligence Consultant Interview

Business Intelligence Consultant
Boston, MA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 6 months - interviewed at Slalom Consulting in July 2013.

Interview Details – Don't believe the hype !! They would like consider them self a "GOOGLE" in consultancy. I was initially contacted by a recruiter for a BI role in Boston. After having 3 technical phone interviews and 2 personal interviews they couldn't give me a clear answer. Instead they asked me to come down to their Boston office one more time to do presentation on any of my work project that I am very proud of. At this time I was definitely loosing my patience but I thought of giving one more try. Guess what ?, after my presentation they had an audacity to ask me to come to Boston office last time to meet their BI director. I didn't reply to their request for a week, so they called and informed me that they are really interested in me, this time it's just for the formalities. It's been more than 2 months since I met their BI director, I still have NO CLEAR ANSWER from them. Such a waste of time !!!

Management Consultant Interview

Management Consultant
Portland, OR

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Slalom Consulting in May 2013.

Interview Details – Consisted of:
1. an initial recruiter screening
2. HR interview
3. principal interview
4, 5. interview with two would-be peers
6. interview with general manager

Interview 1 was fine - nothing bad, nothing notable. Very friendly and approachable recruiter.

Interview 2 was also fine - decent but basic questions about career plan, applicable experience, cultural fit.

Interview 3 - would have been expected if I were fresh out of college applying for a grunt job at Accenture instead of a professional with 20+ years of management consulting experience. Basically a series of IQ tests and how well I perform under pressure. Zero questions about the value I've brought to my projects and the experience I would bring to the company.

Interview 4 - interviewer was arrogant and told me I'd be bored at this job.

Interview 5 - great! Finally someone I'd want to work with.

Interview 6 - more psycho/intellect tests and some stump the chump. Again, no expressed interest in the value I have provided and my capabilities.

Interview Question – An ill-administered, informal DISC evaluation with questions leading toward a seemingly anticipated profile result of a S.   View Answer