Slalom Consulting Interview Questions

Updated Mar 25, 2015
Updated Mar 25, 2015

2.6

Business Analyst Interview

I apply through Slalom's career portal and am immediately contacted by a recruiter. I propose a date and time, including the time zone, for a phone call. Four days later, and one day before the interview, the recruiter hasn't confirmed yet. I follow up; the recruiter is booked at that time but proposes another time, and after some confusion on time zones (again) and having to provide my phone number multiple times, we have a phone call set up.

I wait for 20 minutes for the call; no call is received. I follow up and ask what happened. Recruiter accidentally scheduled me for the wrong day. We speak the following day and I am invited to interview with two individuals in the office. I am on my own to arrange travel; Slalom did not offer help and I live in another state.

I interview in the office and both meetings go well. I am told the next steps are to interview with a workstream lead and the managing directors of the office via phone. I email recruiter to set up those interviews. No response for two weeks. I follow up again. A week later, recruiter contacts me to set up an interview in the office with the workstream lead. I propose a date and time to speak over the phone. Recruiter asks on Tuesday if I can meet with the workstream lead in office...on Friday. I reiterate that I live out-of-state and cannot arrange travel with this short notice. I propose several dates where I can switch my travel plans to meet with Slalom in-office...no response. Last I heard from recruiter was over a month ago.

Started off promising, but nothing ever materialized, as usual. Please inform your candidates if you're not pursuing them anymore (but this isn't even the case here).

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Slalom Consulting.

Process is a bit lengthy and spread out over many days. Expect to speak with 4-5 different people all the way up to senior leadership before getting an offer. Most of the conversations are very casual and they seem to be looking as much for cultural fit as for technical skills or subject area knowledge.

Interview Questions
    • What kind of animal would you be and why?   View Answer
    Slight negotiation on salary with a competing offer. No budge on other stuff like benefits, bonus, etc.

Project Management Interview

Recruiter contacted me through linked in and was very aggressive in getting me an interview,
    But never materialized. He was going to set up an interview with the main recruiter that never happened. Kept potponing it until I gave up.

User Experience Designer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Slalom Consulting.

The interview process was quite long but they like to keep interviews on the more relaxed side. I started out by having coffee with one of the recruiters, who went over my work history, desire to leave and skills. Having passed that, I had lunch with someone fairly senior in my practice area about 3 weeks later. After that, another 2-3 weeks passed and I was called into the office for an interview with the practice area lead I would be working under. During this interview, I went into detail about my past projects and skills. Finally, I was called in to speak with the Managing Director of the office for a final yes/no.

The interview process is aimed to make you feel more at ease and comfortable talking to your interviewers.

Interview Questions
    • There were no puzzle questions or anything designed to trip you up   Answer Question

Business Development Executive Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Slalom Consulting in October 2014.

A Slalom recruiter reached out via Linkedin. The Slolam recruiter then set an interview date and time but then cancelled it due to illness of the recruiter.
     Slalom recruiter then re-set the interview date and time, but was a no show at the time they set and never responded to inquiry on what happened. A waste of time, and unprofessional.

If the recruitment process is a reflection of how Slalom actually runs - well,...
    Finally, if Slalom wants the best people they'll have to do much, much better than what was portrayed in this instance of recruitment.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at Slalom Consulting.

Slalom Consulting @NY is one the best when it comes to interview process. HR keeps you well informed through out the process. Even though process took a while (about 5 months), I was always kept in touch with any new developments. I met about 4 to 5 consultants, they were all pleasant and basically you are gauged to see if you can survive as a consultant. My technical interview was not too hard and not to easy. But overall it was a pleasant process.

Interview Questions
    • As a consultant you are expected to be SME, so be well prepared.   Answer Question
    Offer was industry competitive.

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Slalom Consulting in September 2014.

Multiple interviews, all onsite about 1w apart. Hiring manager, then Practice Area Lead, then Partner, and then General Manager. Very laid back, conversational interviews generally. They are looking for a good "fit," not just someone technical. Each interview was ~1hr, so expect to talk about yourself (background, skills, goals). Was asked as the end of each interview if I was still interested in continuing the "conversation."

Went with another offer. Limited vac and holidays, although it was stress they would be flexible in this area.

National Recruiting Team Recruiter Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Slalom Consulting in September 2014.

The process started out very casual--phone screen with my recruiter, coffee meeting with the recruiting manager, meeting with two team members. The final interview was supposed to be a coffee meeting also, but the coffee shop in their building was closed unexpectedly so we talked in a conference room upstairs.

Everyone seemed pretty nice, but after meeting that many people and spending that much time talking about Slalom, I still had trouble imagining what working there would be like. No one could really articulate what was so great about their culture and their job. I also had a hard time figuring out their org structure. A bunch of different people viewed my LinkedIn profile, including some who were pretty high up. I'm not sure who the ultimate decision maker was.

I know they were interviewing a ton of people, because they talked to at least three other people from my company. None of us ended up getting the job (to my knowledge), and I don't really know why. But then again, I couldn't figure out the profile they were looking for, either. My recruiter told me that I didn't get it (good of her to follow up), and while there wasn't anything actually *wrong* with the interviews I went to, I just felt like it was a rather odd experience.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Slalom Consulting in September 2014.

Working with the recruiters during the interview process was extremely painless and incredibly efficient. I've had several interviews over the last few years and will say that this process at Slalom has been mastered. I applied online and received a phone call a few days later from a very knowledgeable recruiter who proceeded to schedule my next few interviews. I was brought into the office to meet with the talent director who gave me a very detailed overview of how the local office is structured. After agreeing to move forward with the process, I was scheduled to meet with 3 people from the local office who also gave me a very straightforward overview of the culture and projects at Slalom. I was blown away by the entire experience and happily accepted the offer.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Slalom Consulting in September 2014.

I've had 3 different interview experiences with Slalom. I'll go into it chronologically.

Applied to Slalom 4 years ago, trying to lateral from another consulting company. Phone interview, interview with consultants, and interview with a PAL and PAD. All very positive experiences during the interviews, but.... crickets for weeks and months. Silence from the recruiters, they were just not keen on moving or making a decision about my candidacy. Very frustrating experience with no feedback or communications, eventually went with another opportunity.

Second time, got a call out of the blue 2 years later from a recruiter, saying there may be a possible fit. Had one phone interview with him, then AGAIN complete silence. Got an email a couple months later saying the opening was no longer available.

My final (and most successful one) was surprisingly the easiest and quickest. Recruiter again contacted me out of the blue, had a phone screen, then 2 interviews with a PAD. Went in on a Friday, and a week later get an offer.

Overall, everyone was very friendly, no tough technical questions, case interviews, etc. A lot of look for fit. Huge disconnect in communications and really what qualifications are wanted - really depends on who the hiring manager is.