Slalom Consulting Interview Questions

Updated Aug 1, 2015

2.7

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Slalom Consulting in March 2015.

Interview

The process was very smooth and the HR person of contact was extremely nice. The interviews consisted of a regular HR interview and then a Skype interview. They both weren't to difficult but they really check to see if you fit the culture they have in Slalom.

Interview Questions

• What are you looking for in this position? Why did you apply here?   Answer Question

Salesforce Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Slalom Consulting (Chicago, IL) in February 2015.

Interview

I got a call from a recruiter(based off of Seattle) via linkedin. She then referred me to another one in Chicago office. She interviewed me for my experience and career goals. Immediately next week Friday the technical interview was set up. On the next week Friday, I was asked to visit the office for in-person interview. The very day I was told that I am selected and had the offer in hand the next week. HRs, Architects, Practice Managers- all very professional and things moved very quickly. If you know Salesforce Development nuances well, interview should be easy. The Solution Architect who interviewed was very friendly and knowledgeable. I personally loved the office, the company culture, benefits and Salary.

Interview Questions

• An admin(non-coder) wants to take charge of whether a trigger will run or not. How will you do it?   Answer Question
    • Why just one trigger / object pattern? What are the benefits?   Answer Question
    • How will you maximize the VisualForce page performance?   Answer Question
    • What are the ways of trigger bulkification? Give examples   Answer Question
    • I was given a piece of trigger code and asked to figure out what is wrong. (You need to know how to write bulkified triggers)   Answer Question

Practice Area Lead Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Slalom Consulting.

Interview

Initial communication was very professional, upbeat, and positive. This included meetings with National Recruiting, HR, and a Managing Director in the local office (all of whom thought I'd be a great fit for the company). The final interview was with a Practice Area Lead that had just started with the company. I found him to be very condescending and many times talking over me not allowing me to finish speaking (despite him asking me a question). His demeanor and personality were the exact opposite of my first three meetings. It's unfortunate because up until that point, I was very excited about working for the company only to find that "things weren't quite what they seemed".

Interview Questions

• There wasn't really a difficult question in the interview. In the last meeting in which I was interviewing, the person I was meeting with already had his mind made up that the position wasn't for me, even though 1) this position was as a peer to him and 2) he couldn't not articulate what the requirements were for the position.   Answer Question

Management Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Slalom Consulting.

Interview

Great team in San Francisco! I had several interviews. Each was different. I think the biggest challenge was understanding how exactly I would fit with the larger team. Slalom typically doesn't hire unless they can staff you pretty quickly soon thereafter. This means they may not offer until they find a place for you which could take several weeks. Then don't be surprised if you are at a client the first week.

Interview Questions

• Most of the questions were somewhat higher level. I came as a referral from and industry leader and have many years experience so there was no skills test or anything like that. More of a qualitative conversation.   Answer Question

Negotiation

They asked what my desired salary would be... I said x... they offered me 1.3x... I accepted with no negotiation... amazing experience. Christmas came early.

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Slalom Consulting (San Francisco, CA) in January 2015.

Interview

Process moved along quickly, and the staff I met were extremely friendly and knowledgeable. I applied online, and within a week got an email from a Talent Manager. She called me and we chatted for about 30 minutes, discussing my experience, goals, and the company's roles. I then was asked to come into the office to meet a manager. He asked me questions based on my resume.."explain this in more detail.." then some behavioral/situation questions regarding to work experiences. This lasted about 45 minutes, and was very laid back. Had a debrief with Talent Manager afterward to review ideas from the previous interview. Was not given an offer. I was told they didn't have any projects that currently aligned directly with my skills/experience. I understood, as this is part of this industry. They can only hire consultants that they can immediately place in a current or upcoming project, otherwise you would be on the bench and without a project for a while. I appreciate them being quick and upfront, not leaving me waiting and guessing. Overall very good, great people, quick and informative process. Very upfront and honest.

Interview Questions

• Know your resume, and be able to explain each experience on your resume thoroughly. Be able to explain a time you overcame a challenge, or a time you struggled and what you did to overcome. Also, how would you deal with a difficult stakeholder or team member. A few light technical questions, but not focused on that. Be able to explain why Slalom, why consulting, and what kind of culture you want.   1 Answer

Tableau Architect Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Slalom Consulting (Los Angeles, CA) in January 2015.

Interview

I was asked to come to office for an interview ,HR is very nice and love the way the role was explained to me ..i was very confident on Technical skill that i had for the role ..so my guess is either the interview was conducted just for formal without any opening that time or only the interview know why there were no question asked ..

Interview Questions

• Not even a single question was asked ...interviewer just listen & .listen , ,about my role and responsibility and other day i was told not selected ..very frustrating experience...   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Slalom Consulting (Seattle, WA) in January 2015.

Interview

I was contacted via email by a recruiter a week after applying, and had a very informal phone chat with the recruiter for about 45 minutes a week after that, mostly informational, and the recruiter trying to sell the company to me. Then had a 30 minute technical screen with a Solution Architect (basically their equivalent of a Lead Software Engineer). This involved verbally answering technical questions across the board from algorithms to web design. I was told by him at the end of the call that they'd be moving forward with the process. I was then invited on-site for two 1-hour interviews with first my future boss, a Solution Architect, and then a higher up manager which consisted of whiteboarding with the former, and informational/behavioral with the latter. I was contacted 3 days after by the recruiter and offered the job.

Interview Questions

• Technical whiteboarding covering all the bases: algorithms, OO, and database design/queries.   Answer Question

Senior Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Slalom Consulting (San Francisco, CA) in January 2015.

Interview

Everyone I met with was extremely smart, prepared, engaging and friendly. Talent Acquisition contacted me before each meeting to tell me what to expect in the interview and followed up to hear my thoughts about each meeting. I was also greeted at each visit, making me feel like I was important to the company. I concluded that it would be a great company to work for, with lots of collaboration and growth opportunities, However, I had at least six in-person interviews over multiple months, plus numerous calls with HR, before I was engaged in a clear conversation about compensation.There was a significant disconnect between my needs/industry norms and what the company offered, leaving me feeling like we had invested a lot of time unnecessarily.

Consultant Interview

Interview

Submitted resume via website; contacted within 2 weeks; Recruiting was above and beyond expectations -- set expectations well and really matched my interests and stage in my career with what Slalom offered. Flew in to interview and put up in hotel, 3 rounds (50-minutes each), received offer within a week. Allowed flexible start date within a 3 months window which was much appreciated!

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Offer came in a little low. I countered; they countered back I accepted (met in the middle)

Business Analyst Interview

Interview

I apply through Slalom's career portal and am immediately contacted by a recruiter. I propose a date and time, including the time zone, for a phone call. Four days later, and one day before the interview, the recruiter hasn't confirmed yet. I follow up; the recruiter is booked at that time but proposes another time, and after some confusion on time zones (again) and having to provide my phone number multiple times, we have a phone call set up. I wait for 20 minutes for the call; no call is received. I follow up and ask what happened. Recruiter accidentally scheduled me for the wrong day. We speak the following day and I am invited to interview with two individuals in the office. I am on my own to arrange travel; Slalom did not offer help and I live in another state. I interview in the office and both meetings go well. I am told the next steps are to interview with a workstream lead and the managing directors of the office via phone. I email recruiter to set up those interviews. No response for two weeks. I follow up again. A week later, recruiter contacts me to set up an interview in the office with the workstream lead. I propose a date and time to speak over the phone. Recruiter asks on Tuesday if I can meet with the workstream lead in office...on Friday. I reiterate that I live out-of-state and cannot arrange travel with this short notice. I propose several dates where I can switch my travel plans to meet with Slalom in-office...no response. Last I heard from recruiter was over a month ago. Started off promising, but nothing ever materialized, as usual. Please inform your candidates if you're not pursuing them anymore (but this isn't even the case here).