Slalom Consulting

Updated Oct 6, 2014

2.6

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Slalom Consulting in September 2013.

I was contacted by an internal nation-wide recruiter in Seattle before speaking with a recruiter from the local office. Most of the initial interview process was explaining details about the company, and getting a general understanding of my background. Finally, I was invited for a final all-day interview with 4 leaders in the office. The first interview was with the consulting lead for the office, so this was the most serious, with the following 3 meetings focusing more on any questions I have about the company. I found all of them to be very honest, providing me with criticisms of the company as well as the positive points.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked to present a difficult challenge I had experienced on a client engagement. We then went into significant detail on certain aspects of the case, with the intention of gathering an idea of my thought process.   Answer Question
    Seems that the cash base salary was the only negotiable piece. Bonuses are based on performance, and vacation days are defined company-wide.

Management Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Slalom Consulting.

I was referred to a Slalom recruiter by a fellow consultant, which got me through the channels quickly. Great conversations and they worked quickly to schedule face-to-face interviews with the local team. Instead of a follow-up call by the recruiter to let me know the status of the next steps, I received a survey from two different sources within the company.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Slalom Consulting.

First contacted by recruiter for a quick phone chat about the company, my experience, and what type of employment I was seeking, followed soon as with a quick tech screen by an existing cosultant consisting of softball questions.

In total I had about five interviews, mostly with management types (reagional manager, techonolgoy practice lead, etc.) to suss out "culture fit" and ability to interact and a fairly straight forward technical interview (no actual coding involved).

After than I was contacted by the same initial recruiter to talk about salary, benefits, etc., was asked what I was looking for as starting salary, and got an offer back within a couple of days.

Over all the process from initial contact to accepting an offer was under two weeks.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing really difficult came up, mostly the "tell me about yourself and your experience" type questions with management and softball high-level tech questions like "how might you investigate a slow loading aspx page"   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Slalom Consulting in July 2013.

Got interview through internal referral. Had a quick phone screen with the recruiter and then interviewed with various individuals from junior Business Analysts, to Consultants, as well as Senior Leadership. Everything was very smooth.
    The people were great, very interesting and knowledgeable. The Office location were great, and culture was very team and family oriented.

Most questions were behavioral trying to assess the type of challenges you've faced previously, as well as methods and techniques used in the past.

Interview Questions
    • Asked to describe in detail task and context of previous engagements with specific reference to tools and methods used.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at Slalom Consulting in July 2013.

Was first contacted by a recruiter via linked in - once it was determined that i wasn't interested in working for the group that was recruiting, i was passed me onto the other group which was more of a fit. From there i had multiple phone 'discussions' with several of the leadership team. It was slightly based on the fact that they were trying to sell themselves to me but also trying to assess my skills and fit. This should have been a red-flag, as it felt they never quite got a good grasp on my interests and couldn't quite articulate how i would be staffed going forward.
    Either way after 4 months finally got to get into the office for in-person interview. Had 4 interview back-to-back with different consulting partners - nothing too hard they mostly wanted to talk about the different consulting projects i had worked on and i obliged. I was a little irked as i was made to sit in a rented space on a different floor from the SF office as they didn't have enough open office space for me to interview. It's a really small office space. A few weeks later they wanted me to undergo another interview - a tech screen - which somehow hadn't come up previously. After the tech interview received an offer. I was still interviewing with other companies and had several offers i was considering. i asked for additional time and at the same time made it clear that there offer was pretty much beaten by really competitive tech firms, they agreed to give me another week to think through the offer and spent quite a bit of time trying to trash the other company even though they listed it as one of their top tech clients.
    However, a few days later they wanted to talk and informed me that they were rescinding their offer. The process from beginning to end took 6 months. It seemed like a case of reject me before i reject you. Be careful in informing them that you are interviewing with other companies as they don't seem to like the idea that they could have competition that could best them. In addition their consulting offer is lower than you'd expect given the area and the PTO and holidays way below par. In addition, the benefits sheet i received (health, etc) leaves the employees footing a larger benefits bill than competing companies. And these were the reasons that even though the seemed like a good place to work the benefits and compensation filled me with plenty of doubt that made me unsure about immediately accepting.

Interview Questions
    • Really easy interview, very conversational and mostly based on your past experience and consulting projects listed on my resume. Her's some of the questions i remember:
      1. How would go about gathering requirements to build a new dashboard for a client
      2. How do deal with a client when you disagree? How do you mitigate the situation
      3. Difference between type 1/type 2 data table
      4. Difference between a fact and dimension
      5. How good is your unix/linux
      6. How would you go about data Profiling
      7. Write SQL with an aggregate function
      8. Experience with stored procedures
        Answer Question

Didn't really decline but the offer was rescinded once i informed them that i had a competing offer that was more attractive and i was strongly considering.

Consultant/Project Manager Interview

Nothing out of the ordinary but keep in mind the 'type' of person they want that fits the consulting mold:
    1. Consultants with six or more years of experience at a firm like Accenture, Deloitte, PwC, E&Y, 2. Management Consultants with recent project management, business analysis, change management or supply change experience, 3. Technical consultants with recent experience delivering solutions within the Microsoft stack including SharePoint, 4. Development experience with in any of the following areas: .NET, SharePoint, J2EE, Azure or in delivering business intelligence solutions around Business Objects, SSAS, SSRS

Business Intelligence Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Don't believe the hype !! They would like consider them self a "GOOGLE" in consultancy. I was initially contacted by a recruiter for a BI role in Boston. After having 3 technical phone interviews and 2 personal interviews they couldn't give me a clear answer. Instead they asked me to come down to their Boston office one more time to do presentation on any of my work project that I am very proud of. At this time I was definitely loosing my patience but I thought of giving one more try. Guess what ?, after my presentation they had an audacity to ask me to come to Boston office last time to meet their BI director. I didn't reply to their request for a week, so they called and informed me that they are really interested in me, this time it's just for the formalities. It's been more than 2 months since I met their BI director, I still have NO CLEAR ANSWER from them. Such a waste of time !!!

Consultant Interview

The people you interview with are great and quite friendly. Overall the process was slightly worn out as the number of interviews you have to go through is excessive. There were times where they would appear to be lost in the hiring process and quickly scrambled to find anyone to interview me. There is really no need to sit down and have seven in person interviews and three phone calls.

Interview Questions

They seem lost in their ways.

Management Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Slalom Consulting in May 2013.

Consisted of:
    1. an initial recruiter screening
    2. HR interview
    3. principal interview
    4, 5. interview with two would-be peers
    6. interview with general manager

Interview 1 was fine - nothing bad, nothing notable. Very friendly and approachable recruiter.

Interview 2 was also fine - decent but basic questions about career plan, applicable experience, cultural fit.

Interview 3 - would have been expected if I were fresh out of college applying for a grunt job at Accenture instead of a professional with 20+ years of management consulting experience. Basically a series of IQ tests and how well I perform under pressure. Zero questions about the value I've brought to my projects and the experience I would bring to the company.

Interview 4 - interviewer was arrogant and told me I'd be bored at this job.

Interview 5 - great! Finally someone I'd want to work with.

Interview 6 - more psycho/intellect tests and some stump the chump. Again, no expressed interest in the value I have provided and my capabilities.

Interview Questions
    • An ill-administered, informal DISC evaluation with questions leading toward a seemingly anticipated profile result of a S.   View Answer

CRM Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Slalom Consulting in April 2013.

I was contacted by a recruiter via LinkedIn based on my title at a competing consulting firm. A phone screen led to 4 in-person interviews. Care was taken to schedule me at times that would not impact my existing working hours. Interviews with senior management sounded like a sales pitch. Seems like they were sold on me based mostly on the reputation of the company I was coming from. The final interview was more of an informal "get-to-know-you" lunch with my potential manager. Overall, the interview process was much less rigorous than interview loops I had gone through in the past.

PTO was not negotiable.