Slalom Consulting

Updated Feb 24, 2015
Updated Feb 24, 2015

2.6

Consultant Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 8+ monthsinterviewed at Slalom Consulting.

The process is pretty fluid and takes several months. In addition to discussions with local and regional GMs, several interviews and lunches with staff occurred.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Slalom Consulting in February 2014.

I connected with an old coworker on LinkedIn while sending my resume out to job prospects. I spoke with a recruiter on the phone who was pleasant and very vocal about Slalom's accolades.

After the phone interviews I met the recruiter in person who went over Slalom in more detail (who they are, what the organizational structure is, what they value, etc.).

A few days later I met with a Solution Principal for lunch who asked me questions geared toward my technical background and my career goals.

The following week I was contacted to go for a final interview at the Slalom office in Dallas where I met with a Practice Area Lead and a Director. There we spoke more of how Slalom and I could be a good match and more specifics about my technical skills. Those technical questions involved dimensional modeling techniques and some SQL-based activities.

Interview Questions
    • Let's say you have a column within a database table that contains unformatted text of varying length and format, but you do know it's supposed to hold a person's name. How would you query that column efficiently and return the desired results in "proper case?" Answer can be based on SQL logic, C++, Java, or otherwise.   Answer Question
    I had a range in mind but came down a little bit after learning about the annual performance bonus.

Pal Interview

Anonymous Employee in Manhattan Beach, CA
    Anonymous Employee in Manhattan Beach, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Slalom Consulting in February 2014.

Talked to GM and group director who were really nice people, then to another one and finally a technical person

Interview Questions
    • nothing, the two last used some strange techniques to convince me I have to accept lower salaries, which I was not going to budge, I joined neudesic instead   View Answer

I have a much higher offer feom Neudesic and I had flexible work from home benefit + a sign on package I could not resist

Undefined Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I applied through other source. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Slalom Consulting in February 2014.

Unexplained process. Very short notice. Not cohesive. Long waits. The company needs consistent processes and policies to ensure it is not in violation of federal guidelines. How they get there is their own business but they will get complaints eventually. Everybody should be interviewed in the same manner, every time. I was also very surprised to see the amount of negative criticism of company life on glass door. It was immensely helpful in helping me decide not to accept.

Consultant Interview

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Slalom Consulting.

The interview process was smooth and I was really impressed with the HR. She made sure to keep me in the loop. I went through 6 interviews all of them over the phone. It was very disappointing that they were not able to figure out my background in first few interviews. I talked to senior level consultants, directors, managers, technical consultant and all provided great reviews. In the end I was told my background didn't have enough consulting background. This was clear on my resume to begin with as I have over 10 years of experience as FTE and some experience in consulting. So just deciding not to move forward based on this reason was the biggest waste of my time as well as theirs. I was expecting a lot more from them based on the reviews I had heard.

It was shocking as I had all the skillsets - both technical and functional.

Interview Questions
    • Req gathering; BI questions; Technical questions around db;   Answer Question

Talent Acquisition Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Slalom Consulting.

While the process was lengthy I appreciated the time that was taken to ensure it was a mutual fit. The recruiter stayed in touch and kept open lines of communication and was sure to let me know of the next steps along the way. After approximately five meetings (one of which was cancelled at the last minute and rescheduled) an offer was made. I appreciated that by the end of the process I felt the team was excited to extend the offer.

Interview Questions
    • I don't recall anything too terribly difficult as the meetings were really casual conversations which I appreciated.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Slalom Consulting in December 2013.

I was introduced to Slalom by a former co-worker who had good things to say about the firm. I was first contacted via LinkedIn, and after following up to that I had a couple of phone conversations with the recruiting team. I spoke both with the National team’s recruiter as well as the local team’s recruiter. I was more interested in a local role, so that recruiter and I set up a face to face meeting for a week or so later.
    In that meeting I got to learn more about the company and culture, and what it means to be a consultant, since I did not have previous experience in that kind of role. During this conversation, I became more interested in the opportunity, and so the recruiter offered to arrange a technical phone screen, which I did a week or so later. The interviewer spent about an hour on the phone with me asking very appropriate questions that would give them a good idea whether or not I really knew what I had listed on my resume.
    After the phone screen, we arrange a face-to-face interview at the Slalom office. There I met 3 people and with each had about a 45 minute conversation. The focus of each interviewer was more around a “consulting” theme, as opposed to any deep technical discussions. For example, trade-offs of different technology choices, and what-if’s: the client wants to go a certain direction with the project, what would you advise them? Again, all very appropriate questions to determine if someone would be suitable for a role as a consultant. My impression was that it was more of an assessment of my temperament and people skills, along with my ability to discuss high-level technical matters, than any detailed facts I may know about any particular system.
    Then approximately a few days following that interview I received a call from the recruiter to say they would like to make an offer, and they gave me an opportunity to lay out my expectations for compensation. A day or two later I received a verbal offer and then shortly after, I met once more in person with the recruiter to review the offer in detail.
    All in all, a very professional and comfortable process from beginning to end.

Interview Questions
    • Some syntax questions on SQL statements. Only difficult because I had not used that feature in a while.   Answer Question

Office Manager Interview

Was very conversational. Didn't ask many questions or behavioral questions. Seemed to be more about getting to know me and see if I was a good fit for the company

Talent Acquisition Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Slalom Consulting in November 2013.

I was initially reached out to by a Recruiter that found me via LinkedIn. I then completed 6 in-person interviews that were all 1:1. The process was thorough but well organized and I felt informed of my step/status throughout.

Interview Questions
    • What do you know about Slalom and why would this organization serve as the ideal next step in your career?   Answer Question

Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I applied through other source – interviewed at Slalom Consulting.

Over the course of a couple of years, I have received several interview requests from this company and each time they say they want to schedule another interview and then I don't hear anything from 6 months. Then they call asking if I want to come in to interview again, then they don't call for several more months asking if I want to start the process over. There seems to be a lot of turnover because each time the person that called before is no longer around.

Interview Questions

Inconsistency, lack of process, turnover, hearing the same story from other recruiters I know