Slalom Consulting

Updated Oct 6, 2014

2.6

Lead Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Slalom Consulting in October 2012.

Poor process, no transparency, unstructured. I was interviewed twice in one year with the team approaching me for open positions, making me travel to every part of their office in bay area, with no focused questions and impromptu meetings without any transparent feedback process. No clear communication on the open roles and the expectations. Job roles and descriptions either not well defined or not well communicated.

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through other source – interviewed at Slalom Consulting in September 2012.

Hiring process is good and the interview process is aimed at learning more on what you did rather knowing what you can do. Had to go to their office two times for face to face interviews. Senior management has shown lot of interest and they explained the vision and direction.

Interview Questions
    • No difficult questions. They focus more on what you have done.   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Slalom Consulting in September 2012.

I had five total interviews - first with a recruiter for a discussion about the company. The second and third were with the people who would be my direct supervisors. The fourth and fifth were with executives at the Atlanta office. The second and third interviews were the most useful where I discussed my skills/experiences and they discussed their needs. Those aligned well so I moved on to the final set of interviews that were much more about cultural fit than skills. Culture is extremely important at Slalom so be sure you're honest and don't bother holding back or trying to be formal during the interviews.

Interview Questions
    I did not negotiate - they provided an offer much higher than I was being paid at the time and I accepted it.

Management Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Slalom Consulting in July 2012.

They are very picky. I had to give many references. They made it feel like home with every person I met in the process. Red Carpet treatment.

Interview Questions
    • What do you do outside of work? Why do you like it? How could I share that with Slalom Consultants? Can I teach other people at Slalom?   Answer Question
    Fair and fast

Management Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

interviewed at Slalom Consulting in July 2012.

Derailed Company; Bad recruiters waste your time.

The recruiter with short tenure with the company just wasted my time all the way through with vague and misleading communication. I don't know how you can sustain in consulting by misleading your customers! The reviews here says that they carefully recruit but certainly they didn't exercise the same standard with respect to hiring recruiters. It turned out the recruiter didn't know how to manage own time! The company is grown and being derailed.

Client Service Lead Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Slalom Consulting in May 2012.

My interview process with Slalom was long and drawn out, but that was mostly due to my preference to be sure of my decision before making a switch. I had been a longtime Accenture employee and originally reached out to a Slalom HR contact on LinkedIn. I had heard of many colleagues making the switch to Slalom and heard good things.

My interview process was stretched over four months, juggling around vacations and a busy project schedule. Around the same time, I was also interviewing with Point B and North Highland. I felt like there was a clear advantage in Slalom's HR talent and processes compared to the other two companies. North Highland's HR function was in LA and they were at times non responsive and even unscheduled an interview without calling me to clear it up. Point B's HR team was adequate, but the challenge was the point person during the process was a senior partner. It was good to have that type of insight, but in this case that person did not always have the time or the experience to handle recruiting questions, negotiations, etc.

Slalom's HR team was very qualified, friendly and extremely capable. You may wonder why I weighed the HR capability so heavily, but in order for a consulting company to grow you need to be able to win the war for talent. That will help me achieve my sales goals and desire to work with the best people possible.

Through the process the interviews focused on behavioral and experience type questions. The interviewer also spent a lot of time focused on me as a person seeming to determine the culture fit. That is a big part of their interview process. They are not just looking for bodies, but people that will help maintain and improve the positive, fun, smart culture of the office.

Senior Marketing Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Slalom Consulting in May 2012.

I was approached by Slalom for the role of a marketing consultant. I had a face to face meeting with the HR person that lasted well over an hour. She then set me up with the hiring manager. We had a good face to face as well. Both interviews were pretty casual (in coffee shops) but I felt that the meetings went well. I was told that Slalom had several marketing projects in the pipeline where i would be a good fit.

Then, I got a call saying that Slalom would like to bring on board for a trail period as a fee based consultant with no benefits for at least six months. I was not going to leave my current company for an iffy situation like that where I would have had to purchase my own insurance and pay all my own taxes. I thought the "offer" was really lame and declined the 'opportunity'.

Interview Questions

The offer was very weak and less than I was making in my current role.

National Recruiting Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Slalom Consulting in May 2012.

The interview process was very thorough, but also very relaxed. I was referred to Slalom through a friend, and got a call from the head of their National recruiting team. Spoke to her for about an hour, very conversational and open.

Had another call a few days later, more specific questions about my past, and an opportunity for me to ask more specific questions about the direction of the company.

I then met 6 - 8 different members of the team I'd be working with over an hour or two. Very laid back, but lots of questions and answers on both sides about past experience, goals, etc. Never felt like I had any trick questions or anything, or that anyone was trying to trip me up.

I then met with the National GM, same situation.

Then I had a role-play call with the same GM wherein I acted as if I were giving him an initial recruiting call. Had to research a bit more about Slalom to be prepared, but that went smooth.

Finally got an offer that was extremely fair, based on some previous open dialogue about my current compensation and what I was looking for moving forward.

This whole process took about 3 weeks, but was very easy, comfortable, and honest.

Interview Questions
    • I never once felt like I had a "difficult" question - just a lot of conversation back and forth. Some questions about the industry and the company were asked to see if I had done any research, which I had, so was able to answer, but was also open about any lack of knowledge I had in certain areas.   Answer Question
    I was open and up-front about the range of comp. that I would need in order to make a move, based on what I was currently making. Their offer was within the range and very fair.

Database Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Slalom Consulting in April 2012.

I give good marks to Slalom: I was contacted by a recruiter. We met for coffee. Got a follow up email shortly after asking to describe some of my experience; then, came in for an in person with a couple of managers--both of whom were easy to speak with and generally seemed passionate about the company. My impression was that those that worked for the company were happy to be there and were very welcoming.

Interview Questions
    • Write a SQL query that will produce the 10Th largest salary from an Employees table.   View Answers (3)

Position wasn't the best fit for my future goals.

Senior Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Slalom Consulting in April 2012.

Phone screen, in-person casual screen, one-day 2 hour interviews with 4 people.

Interview Questions
    • Usual fare - seeking elaboration on difficult environments, approaches to problem solving, etc. No technical questions or business cases.   Answer Question