Slalom Consulting Interview Questions in Seattle, WA

Updated Jul 30, 2015

2.8

Practice Area Lead Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Slalom Consulting (Seattle, WA) in July 2015.

Interview

I applied online and a recruiter contacted me immediately. After a short phone screen I met the Director of Recruiting of a relaxed chat 60min in a Starbucks store. We talked about the role, my experience and expectations. She was open and deferred questions to the HM if she could not answer them. I asked for an expedited interview process as I interviewed with Microsoft in parallel. Slalom accommodated this and the recruiting team set up a first interview with the HM 2 weeks later, followed by a loop of 4 senior execs (Managing Director level) in the week after. The interviews were more focused on cultural fit than on particular skills. Slalom is a very people focused company and we spend a lot of time on people management topics (conflict resolution, career development, motivation, ...). I have a lot of experience in this area and felt pretty comfortable. Another focus area was practice management, including managing demand/supply, delivery excellence and pipeline management. It was not too tough, mostly just checking relevant experience. The overall experience was awesome. I received an verbal offer 24 hours later, followed by a formal offer letter in 3 days. I was never let in the dark were I stand and was always aware what step will happen next. Everybody was super friendly and humble, I felt never stressed or "tested" during the interviews. That experience was a key factor in my decision to go to Slalom, despite the fact I had 2 more lucrative competing offers.

Interview Questions

• How would you react to a request of a key resource to be rolled of a project while the customer demands to keep the consultant on?   1 Answer

Senior Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Slalom Consulting (Seattle, WA) in June 2015.

Interview

The interview process included 2 technical screens and multiple face-to-face visits with the team. I was initially found by a recruiter due to the experience on my LinkedIn profile. I thought it was a positive, and unique interview experience as I wasn't interviewing with people who I wouldn't be working with - unlike other large corporations. I, instead, have worked directly with everyone in the interview loop (excluding the recruiters) since starting - it felt very much like a start up culture. My final round of interviewing was with the entire team, where I got to know everyone before discussing offers.

Interview Questions

• What about your background and past work experiences do you think will make you successful if you got the job?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Slalom Consulting (Seattle, WA) in January 2015.

Interview

I was contacted via email by a recruiter a week after applying, and had a very informal phone chat with the recruiter for about 45 minutes a week after that, mostly informational, and the recruiter trying to sell the company to me. Then had a 30 minute technical screen with a Solution Architect (basically their equivalent of a Lead Software Engineer). This involved verbally answering technical questions across the board from algorithms to web design. I was told by him at the end of the call that they'd be moving forward with the process. I was then invited on-site for two 1-hour interviews with first my future boss, a Solution Architect, and then a higher up manager which consisted of whiteboarding with the former, and informational/behavioral with the latter. I was contacted 3 days after by the recruiter and offered the job.

Interview Questions

• Technical whiteboarding covering all the bases: algorithms, OO, and database design/queries.   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through other source – interviewed at Slalom Consulting (Seattle, WA).

Interview

I participated in an interview process after someone at the company reached out to me, I didn't actually apply. The interview process was unstructured, but quite pleasant. I was invited to meet others and to tour the offices, spending longer than was planned at this "informal" interview. The HR person indicated that she was very positive about our interview and would be moving forward. Then ... nothing. No follow-up, no response to my follow-up email, nothing.

Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Slalom Consulting (Seattle, WA).

Interview

First off - What an excellent experience with recruiters within Slalom - here is a company that understands that the face to the company is quite often formed by the recruiters. The talent acquisition managers are very well trained, totally professional and make a real human connection with the candidates. The process itself is pretty standard I guess - Phone conversation with Talent Acquisition Manager, followed by - In-person interview with TAM - With me there was some question exactly where I would be used in the firm, - so I had 2 individual interviews with two leaders to decide where my best fit was. - This was followed by a 2.5 hour block with three interviews with management, peers and an "as appropriate" The offer was processed quickly and presented to me early on the next business day. All and all the best experience I have had with recruitment...

Interview Questions

• I don't know that there is a single question that stands out, but it is obvious that the company works from the basis of some competency model, and that the interviews and questions within the interviews are designed to ascertain the candidate's competency within that framework   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Slalom Consulting (Seattle, WA) in December 2013.

Interview

I was introduced to Slalom by a former co-worker who had good things to say about the firm. I was first contacted via LinkedIn, and after following up to that I had a couple of phone conversations with the recruiting team. I spoke both with the National team’s recruiter as well as the local team’s recruiter. I was more interested in a local role, so that recruiter and I set up a face to face meeting for a week or so later. In that meeting I got to learn more about the company and culture, and what it means to be a consultant, since I did not have previous experience in that kind of role. During this conversation, I became more interested in the opportunity, and so the recruiter offered to arrange a technical phone screen, which I did a week or so later. The interviewer spent about an hour on the phone with me asking very appropriate questions that would give them a good idea whether or not I really knew what I had listed on my resume. After the phone screen, we arrange a face-to-face interview at the Slalom office. There I met 3 people and with each had about a 45 minute conversation. The focus of each interviewer was more around a “consulting” theme, as opposed to any deep technical discussions. For example, trade-offs of different technology choices, and what-if’s: the client wants to go a certain direction with the project, what would you advise them? Again, all very appropriate questions to determine if someone would be suitable for a role as a consultant. My impression was that it was more of an assessment of my temperament and people skills, along with my ability to discuss high-level technical matters, than any detailed facts I may know about any particular system. Then approximately a few days following that interview I received a call from the recruiter to say they would like to make an offer, and they gave me an opportunity to lay out my expectations for compensation. A day or two later I received a verbal offer and then shortly after, I met once more in person with the recruiter to review the offer in detail. All in all, a very professional and comfortable process from beginning to end.

Interview Questions

• Some syntax questions on SQL statements. Only difficult because I had not used that feature in a while.   Answer Question

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Slalom Consulting (Seattle, WA) in September 2013.

Interview

I was called upon by a Recuiter who had set a face to face interview with Slalom. This was a follow up to a phone interview which I had not done that good. I was interviewed by three people one at a time. First lady seemed like a QA lead or similar. I was asked range of testing questions and my previous work experience. The second guy asked me some technical questions which were relatively simple. He then stopped asking technical questions and talked about the company and asked me which tools I have used. The third interview was the shortest of all and All I was asked was my background experience and couple of easy technical questions.

Interview Questions

• The questions I was asked are as follows :- 1. Difference between pass by value and pass by reference 2. Finding the largest number in an array 3. How would you test a Lamp ? 5. How would you test a Twitter application ? 6. Find a missing number in an array of sorted numbers. 7. What are primitive types and non primitives types. 8. How would you test a Restful Web Service   1 Answer

Management Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Slalom Consulting (Seattle, WA).

Interview

I was referred to a Slalom recruiter by a fellow consultant, which got me through the channels quickly. Great conversations and they worked quickly to schedule face-to-face interviews with the local team. Instead of a follow-up call by the recruiter to let me know the status of the next steps, I received a survey from two different sources within the company.

CRM Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Slalom Consulting (Seattle, WA) in April 2013.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter via LinkedIn based on my title at a competing consulting firm. A phone screen led to 4 in-person interviews. Care was taken to schedule me at times that would not impact my existing working hours. Interviews with senior management sounded like a sales pitch. Seems like they were sold on me based mostly on the reputation of the company I was coming from. The final interview was more of an informal "get-to-know-you" lunch with my potential manager. Overall, the interview process was much less rigorous than interview loops I had gone through in the past.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

PTO was not negotiable.

Solution Architect Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Slalom Consulting (Seattle, WA) in March 2013.

Interview

Initially contacted by HR (Talent Management), and then met with the director. Interestingly met with the technical people after meeting with the leadership team.