Slaughter and May Interview Questions

Updated Aug 25, 2015

3.9

ISIP Trainee/Placement Opportunities Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Slaughter and May (New York, NY) in January 2015.

Interview

The interview is short because of the nature of the foreign attorney ISIP fair in NYC, but was very much focused on what was given in the resume. They had not requested transcripts in their posting but I brought them anyway which was a great idea because they asked about grades. It is important to note that there are a lot of questions surrounding academics and goals.

Interview Questions

• Explained my background(where Im from, where Ive schooled etc), Why I pursued an LL.M. in America, Why I didn't directly pursue a Trainee contract 2nd year of my LL.B., Why I got x,y,z grades in certain classes, How I improved, Why I didn't return back to my home country since they needed more attorneys.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Slaughter and May (London, England (UK)) in April 2015.

Interview

Started off with a 1-hour written exercise. Was then provided a current article to read for 15 minutes from the FT. The two partners who interviewed me were very friendly and approachable. Be careful not to let them catch you off guard with this. They will ask you a multitude of questions starting from your CV and cover letter (asking you why you chose x and y, what would you have done differently if you had a choice), then they will catch on to your answers and sentences and ask deeper questions as the interview goes along.

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Slaughter and May (London, England (UK)) in March 2015.

Interview

Cover letter + CV followed by a personality questionnaire. The most efficient and effective application process compared to all other law firms. I applied at the end of the year and was invited for an interview at the end of February.

Interview Questions

• I don't think the firm has set interview questions. It operates like a conversation and they ask questions as they go along. They started off with asking me to talk through my CV. As I was doing this they would stop and ask questions about my experience, why I was interested in corporate law. There is also an article exercise which was the most challenging part of the interview and it is where I really messed up! I expected something from the Financial Times about the current QE programme/something very finance orientated. I was given an article from the Sunday Times and I realised for this exercise you don't necessarily need to have an in-depth knowledge of finance...just have a lot of common sense and be confident in articulating your opinion- be prepared to be challenged on your thinking!   Answer Question

Slaughter and May Training Contract Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Slaughter and May (London, England (UK)) in December 2014.

Interview

Submit online application. Invited straight to interview. The interview application process was very well streamlined. Having previously attended an open day with the company, I knew this would be the case. The interview is all about them trying to find out if you are a) Academically talented and b) Suited to their culture. Be prepared for long discussions regarding your academic and career choices.

Interview Questions

• How was the changing nature of finance altered Slaughter's work post 2007/08 crisis?   Answer Question

Trainee Solicitor Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Slaughter and May.

Interview

Very professional, competent and friendly process. Interview itself was more of an extended chat. Took a few days to find out the result, though. HR were very good throughout.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiations.

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Slaughter and May.

Interview

1 hour written task where you are given a pile of materials and have to produce a written report of recommendations to a pretend client. 1 hour interview with 2 partners office Tour with current trainee 15 minute HR interview

Training Contract Interview

Interview

Written test where you had to pretend to be a consultant and write a report for a company that was changing strategy. They give you a packet of relevant documents and you have to articulate your strategy using this information. The interview itself was tough, they will quiz you on your grades, and pay close attention to individual module marks. I was asked if the good marks I got were a fluke. Stay relaxed and don't be thrown by this kind of questioning. I probably tried to mount too vigorous a defence. They want you to be smooth and charming and bat away these kind of questions with a deft touch.

Interview Questions

• What other careers have you considered?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Slaughter and May (London, England (UK)) in August 2013.

Interview

Straightforward. An article to read in 15 mins. Key thing is to do a concise summary (though note that no paper is give and the article is laminated and can't be written on). Questions to follow based on article. Also some questions on commercial awareness.

Application

Interview

Straightforward interview, like a conversation, but expects good structure in your answers and in dept commercial awareness.

Interview Questions

• What would you suggest as the solution to the Libor scandals?   Answer Question

Legal Trainee Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Slaughter and May in September 2011.

Interview

The interview was casual to being with but then they were prepared to dig into my experience and CV. Would definitely recommend that you bush up on your facts about the company.

Interview Questions

• Considering your experience why not go through a law conversion and then Bar School?   Answer Question