Sleep Number by Select Comfort Interview Questions

Updated Mar 20, 2015
Updated Mar 20, 2015

2.3

Senior Recruiter Interview

I was referred in so the process wasn't difficult to get an interview. Once involved in them though, it was easy to see that there was conflicting information & direction on what was needed from the role & department from the direct hiring manager & the next level manager. HUGE red flag.

Interview Questions
    • How do you manage expectations when dealing with a challenging personality?   Answer Question

Didn't feel like the leadership was on the same page - usually an indicator that you'll be put into a losing situation.

Store Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Sleep Number by Select Comfort.

I was contacted by a recruiter. After my initial interview with her, I had to interview with 2 different district managers, one in person one by telephone, one telephone interviews with two woman from the corporate office and one interview with the regional vice president. All asking the same questions in a different way. I was unsure if they were looking for me to answer the same or different than I did before. With the amount of interviews you would think you are applying for a more more important position making much more money.

Interview Questions
    • Every person I interviewed with asked me the same question, "What can I do to increase business in the store?" "When was there a time when I had a difficult situation with a co-worker and how did I handle it?"   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation.

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Sleep Number by Select Comfort in January 2015.

Phone call from a recruiter (this was the best part, the HR dept. understands talent very well),1.5 hour initial interview with SM, and then a 30 minute interview with DM. Initially I was recruited to manage, but since the position that I was recruited for was way out of my driving I accepted to listen to their offer to start as sales. Everyone was very nice and the process went smoothly. In the end I declined the salesperson role since I felt I have more value to a company as a leader. Only part I didn't like about the process is when I was offered the position I told them I would need about 4-5 days to decide, and I would understand if they couldn't wait. The response I got from the hiring manager was almost like he was trying to overcome a sales objection, for example "why wait, you like the job, just take it". I take my work seriously, when that approach was taken I was reminded as to why I cannot settle for less than a role in leadership.

Interview Questions
    • How important health and wellness was to me.   View Answer

Floater Interview

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a dayinterviewed at Sleep Number by Select Comfort.

1 interview hired on the spot interview was easy walked me through the plant to look at everything didnt explain a whole lot just mainly let me look. ask me very few questions about my history mainly wanted to know about my personal life and how that was going for me

Interview Questions
    • So what is going on in your life that makes you need a job?   Answer Question

Sleep Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Sleep Number by Select Comfort in December 2014.

Initially I had a phone interview followed by two in person interviews. My experience was positive, friendliness & promptness by all from HR to the retail store manager & DM.

Interview Questions
    You're not able to negotiate the hourly rate or commission structure.

Store Manager Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Sleep Number by Select Comfort.

I applied online. Was emailed back quickly and asked to interview via phone interview. They didn't call me during the time frame. I emailed back. She appolzied and a new time was given. Never called me. Now two weeks later she emailed me asking if I was still interested. I spoke to her aa few days later and she told me that the job was a small base salary and then commission. And sometimes I would work a lot of hours. I said I wasn't interested since I currently make alittle bit more then what she said I would be making at the store. She seemed upset then started to ask if I knew of other people that she could contact. Unprofessional!

Interview Questions
    • Asked why I wanted to work for their company with my experience I could do something different.   Answer Question

Unprofessional

Customer Service Specialist Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Sleep Number by Select Comfort in November 2014.

There was an initial phone screening interview, followed by another phone interview by the upper management, then a final interview with a site tour. Recruiter was very friendly and helpful.

Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Sleep Number by Select Comfort.

This can be unusually lengthy with several people interviewing. There are many questions about ability to develop a team, understand core values and what's make you successful. You are given time to thoughtfully respond with a candid recruiter. They try to inflate the positives.

Interview Questions
    • Why are you here? With your resume you should be interviewing for another position.   View Answer

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cranston, RI
    Anonymous Employee in Cranston, RI

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Sleep Number by Select Comfort in October 2014.

Interview with store manager who asks a lot of questions about your sales background. He then goes into how amazing the company is. It's all a bunch of nonsense. The manager was the only person during the interview process that was the least bit professional. The district manager, who I interviewed with over the phone was an idiot. If he said "ummmm" one more time I was going to break my phone in half. One of my biggest pet peeves is people saying they will do something and then not doing it. If I am told I will be contacted by a certain time I expect that to happen. Getting no response is the worst, and tells me so much about the level of communication to come. I was told by the district manager that he wanted to meet me in person, then never heard from him again. I also was told by the recruiter that the store manager liked me, and wanted to hire me for his store. I was told to hang in there and wait. I did, and nothing ever happened. There was some B.S. excuse about corporate putting a hold on hiring. I just hate, hate, hate when a carrot is dangled in front of me. It did give me time to research the company, and after reading all the negative reviews I had decided not to pursue this any further. I was hired by another, much better company. Reading reviews like titled "Run" did little to keep me motivated. Everything worked in the end, but I will NEVER consider interviewing with this company again.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you went above and beyond for a customer?   Answer Question

Store Manager Interview

Don't tell you everything you need to know. You are salary when it comes to working extra but if you need to take time off for something you have to use you vacation time. If you work 60 one week and the next week you need a day off to tend to a sick child or some other matter you have to use 8 hrs of vacation time.

Interview Questions
    • None. There method of hiring is shameful.   View Answer