Smart & Final

2.0

Cashier/Clerk Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Smart & Final in August 2014.

Got hired from a employee referral and got hired after follow up. Came in for a drug test and got hired on the spot. Make sure you come in with a positive and professional attitude.

Interview Questions
    • The Most or difficult question was how do I handle stressful situations   Answer Question
    No negotiation

Produce Clerk Interview

went to career expo. paper interview. then followup within minutes with 4 previous store managers. hired on spot

Interview Questions
    • asked me what i would do with a shoplifter   View Answer
    after 2 weeks basic training my pay was the increase

Part Time Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Murrieta, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Murrieta, CA

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Smart & Final in March 2014.

just answered questions the manager read from a piece of paper that were easy.

I was offered a position on Monday the 31st of 2014 and I signed paperwork for a background check and was sent down for a drug test. the manager said he would get the drug test back the next day and the background would take 3 days, the manager hopes to get the results before Saturday for orientation is Saturday. but I haven't heard back from them yet. does anyone know if smart n final will call back if they decide to hire or not to hire.

Cashier/Clerk Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Smart & Final in August 2013.

-The application is filled on paper which is great! Not many companies keep it old school anymore.
    -You then turn it in directly to the manager for a better chance at getting the job, bring out your persuading skills (just don't go over board).
    -Then after about a week or so give them a call and ask for the manager in regards to the application.
    -If they are interested they will setup an interview and you have a very high chance at getting the job.
    -Then you get a background and drug test.
    -Then you will get a call for training appointments and the whole training process is extremely easy if you just pay attention.
    -It is a long process but just stay focused and about 99.9% of whatever it is your job requires you to do will be taught during the training process

Interview Questions
    • It really just depends on the manager. They all have completely different personalities. So just be confident and show concern. By the way there aren't really any questions considered difficult or unexpected.   View Answer

Distribution Area Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Commerce, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Commerce, CA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Smart & Final in June 2013.

Panel interview with department heads.

Interview Questions
    • Situational questions for the most part are probably the more difficult to answer. Must be detailed when explaining the situation, this is your chance to shine and show your professionalism   Answer Question
    offer received over phone call, must pass drug screen and backround investigation.

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fresno, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fresno, CA

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Smart & Final in June 2013.

I heard the company was hiring so I went in filled out an application was given a tour of the store and was told I would be called to go to orientation. I was notified of orientation about 3 weeks later and went to my 8 hour orientation class and that was my hire date. I didn't have and interview I just was told at orientation that, that day was my hire date.

Interview Questions
    • The 8 hour class was a bit much but there was no interview so this is all I could come up with regarding this question.   Answer Question

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Moorpark, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Moorpark, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Smart & Final in November 2012.

Bring in resume and ask to speak with store manager on weekdays preferably between 9 am and 4 pm. They will have you fill out an application on the spot. Dress professionally. Smile. Be polite. Follow up. Smart and Final managers are extremely busy and often forget about their own employees, let alone applicants. Follow up, but don't be annoying.

Interview Questions
    • There is not really any one difficult question in particular.   Answer Question
    They start you off at 8.70 as a cashier. There is no negotiation.

Load Crew Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Riverside, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Riverside, CA

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Smart & Final in November 2010.

The interviewing process is fast and pretty simple, to sum it up they basically want to know how you work, how fast you can work and if you can do the job right in a timely manner.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to work here?   Answer Question
    • What experiences or training have you been through that will help you do your job?   Answer Question
    Unless your going in for managment or higher in the food chain then they will basically look at you like you should be lucky your getting a job there at the store so negotiating anything I wouldnt reccomend, unless you can sell ice to an eskimo..

Full Time Key Carrier Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Smart & Final in September 2010.

Met and interviewed with the district manager and was hired on the spot. We talked about the direction of the company and how I could help them in the new direction they were headed in.

Very striaght forward and structured and I moved through methodically and topped out my pay scale within the first 4 months.

General Merchanise Stocker Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mission Hills, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mission Hills, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Smart & Final in February 2010.

1:1 time with experienced store manager and customer relations personnel on future employee desires, expectations and goals. Thorough background search. High company expectations for achieved success.

Interview Questions
    • Customer service is a big deal in a grocery business, what attributes do you have that can best help in caring for customer needs.   View Answer
    Pay is fixed designated according to job title. Be able to flaunt your talents. I became a supervisor in 3 months time with some prior work experience. They do want to advance their employees with plenty of room for relocation. Just be honest and open to expected change if your good at your job. Thy will want to use your skills.