Smarthome

Relevance Date Difficulty

Executive Management Interview

Executive Management
Irvine, CA

I applied in-person and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Smarthome in January 2012.

Interview Details – I was interviewing for a senior executive management position with this company. The first "interview" was nothing more than a skills test. I was given a series of (easy) problems to solve, and if I solved them, I would be moved to the next round. The next round of interviews was to meet one-on-one with several staff member who would be working for me, as well as the COO. This process went well and the COO told me on the spot he wanted me to meet with the CEO. A meeting was scheduled for the next day.

I arrived the next day and was told to wait in a conference room for the CEO. An hour later, his secretary (who was very professional and apologetic) came into the room and said the CEO knew I was there, but was "busy". Could I come back tomorrow at the same time?

The next day, I arrive and I'm placed in the same conference as before. I sit another hour until his secretary comes in and tells me the CEO is "busy" and will be back in touch to arrange another meeting. I tried to schedule the meeting right then, but was told they would call me in a few days to schedule it.

The next week I touch base with the company, only to be told the CEO has decided that he wants to put the position on hold for six months, but I would be contacted immediately when it's reopened.

Fast forward six months, and I read the company is recruiting FOR THE SAME POSITION. I contact the CEO's office to schedule the meeting(s) that never took place. I'm told the CEO no longer wants to consider me for the position. This is after having me interview with various team members, parked me in a conference room for more than an hour, twice, and then delaying the hiring process for six months.

Needless to say, the impression of the CEO is incredibly unprofessional. If the position was as important as it allegedly was, he definitely doesn't care about the impression he gives to potential members of his senior executive management team.

Interview Question – Tell me about your biggest management challenge?   Answer Question

Worked for Smarthome? Contribute to the Community!