Smic Interview Questions

Interviews for Top Jobs at Smic

Director of IT Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pudong, Shanghai (China)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pudong, Shanghai (China)

I applied through other source. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Smic in November 2009.

This position was for the school division. The process for other parts of the company may be different.

There was a detailed phone interview first. They asked detailed questions about previous experience that were relevant to the work. Since this is an overseas assignment, they also wanted to understand why I was going to China and what my long term plans were.

During the in-person interview, You meet with several people on staff which ask technical questions about various aspects of the work. Since this was IT Director, you don't need to be an expert in every field but you are expected to able to talk intelligently about things like, Active Directory, Exchange, Web technology, Software systems, Databases as well as have a basic understanding about hardware.

The IT department at the school is very broad and further encompasses systems like phone systems, av systems, pa systems, security systems and so on. It is best to have a general understanding about these systems so that you can talk intelligently about them. Again, they don't require expertise in every system but you have to be able to demonstrate that you can manage projects and vendors in all these areas.

Finally, this is a very bi-lingual (Chinese / English) environment. Some of the staff only speaks Chinese and some of the staff only speaks English so it would be very difficult to hold this senior a position without having a good command of both languages.

Interview Questions
    • Since this is a cross-cultural environment, what would you if some employees want the window open in the winter while others feel its too cold and want it closed?   View Answer
    The HR division is very difficult to deal with. You want to be polite but firm. There are cultural differences if you are used to western companies. You need to keep the lines of communication open but be sure you don't give in too much. You also need to take into account the lower cost of living and make sure the housing situation is clearly spelled out. Housing can be tight as land has been snatched up and the company continues to expand.

Assistant Equipment Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Beijing, Beijing (China)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Beijing, Beijing (China)

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Smic in June 2009.

Took a IQ test first with another candidate in a office room. The questions were not hard but it required a little bit preparation since they were all about inference. Then had a 1:1 interview with to-be supervisor who talked about jobs we would be doing. No technical questions were asked.

Facility Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Shanghai, Shanghai (China)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Shanghai, Shanghai (China)

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Smic in February 2009.

I sent my resume to SMIC, and almost 10 days later I get a phone to inform me to interview. I went to SMIC and the HR staff give me a form to fill in and ask me some question, for example why I leave the last company, why I want join SMIC. Later, a technical manager give a one to one interview, he ask me some question about gas system, it's not difficult, I reply him. 10 days later I got an offer.

Interview Questions