Smith Micro

Relevance Date Difficulty

IT Intern Interview

IT Intern
Pittsburgh, PA

I applied through college or university and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Smith Micro in May 2012.

Interview Details – Be honest and straight forward. Must be an excellent communicator. Must be a great self-starter.

Interview Question – n/a   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Simple

Product Management Interview

Product Management
Aliso Viejo, CA

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Smith Micro in March 2012.

Interview Details – HR contacted me maybe a week after I applied. Everyone in HR was friendly as could be. I was interviewed by two people, typical "good cop, bad cop scenario", but overall it was a standard interview for a great company.

Interview Question – Basic Interview questions, nothing out of the ordinary.   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Product Management Intern Interview

Product Management Intern
Aliso Viejo, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at Smith Micro in July 2011.

Interview Details – Informal in-person interview. About an hour after I left, HR Representative called me and said I got the job.

If you know someone at the company and can get an interview, you will probably get the job.

Interview Question – Why do you think you would be a good fit for the position?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Didn't need to negotiate.

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer
Aliso Viejo, CA

The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Smith Micro in January 2010.

Interview Details – Phone interview consisting of C++, OOP Questions
On site Interview with 4 people individually
Asked C++, OOP, Design Patterns, OS threading questions and background

Interview Question – Inter Process Communication Explain   Answer Question

Senior Java Developer Interview

Senior Java Developer
Chicago, IL

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at Smith Micro in February 2009.

Interview Details – The interview was done by two people and it has a mix of technology and personality questions

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – The negotiation was intensive and always prefer the bonus program

Wireless and Broadband Quality Assurance Intern Interview

Wireless and Broadband Quality Assurance Intern
Aliso Viejo, CA

The process took 3 days - interviewed at Smith Micro in June 2011.

Interview Details – Very laid back, asked me technical questions related to the project at hand. Did ask me questions about resume/past experiences. Very much like other Technical Internship Interviews, except the engineer was very nice and straightforward.

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation as I am only an intern. But didn't seem like they would have rejected a proposal. Very nice HR and staff.

Very Easy Interview

Engineering Interview

Engineering
Sunnyvale, CA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Smith Micro in December 2010.

Interview Details – Applied online. The HR person sent me an email asking several questions such as why do you want to want to work for Smith Micro, etc. Next came a phone interview with the manager then a live interview with the manager and 2 others.

It was a straight forward interview with no trick questions.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work for Smith Micro?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – The manager was unsure what the position actually was. From what I've seen from the manager and 2 team members, they didn't seem like they knew what the direction of the company was. I wanted to work at a place with the brightest people but I did not get the impression from the interviewers.

The offer was also too low.

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer

Interviewed at Smith Micro

Interview Details – This was a three stage process. Had two technical phone interviews - one with a senior software team lead and the other one with the software development manager. The third stage was a face to face interview the software development manager. The whole process was transparant and casual with good communication all throughout.

Interview Question – No unexpected questions. There were only relevant technical questions and questions about past work experience and projects worked on.   Answer Question

QA Engineer Interview

QA Engineer

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Smith Micro in April 2009.

Interview Details – Started off with a phone interview with Director of engineering and direct manager. After a week I was ask to come in for a face to face interview with the same managers and I was introduced to the team and shown the facility as well.

Interview Questions

• I was asked questions about my past QA internship experience.   Answer Question
  • I was also asked if I was to join the team, what can I bring to the team that will benefit us all?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I wasn't able to negotiate. To negotiate, because once your in you will not likely get any raise.

Software Quality Engineer Interview

Software Quality Engineer

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at Smith Micro in January 2011.

Interview Details – A contact that I knew worked there forwarded my resume. Within a few weeks, I was contacted by HR via email, and was phone screened by the hiring manager. The HR contact and the hiring manager seemed confused --- they had not ironed out exactly what they want, when they wanted me to start, who was going to train me, and a variety of other important details. The phone screen was basically non-technical and just a review of my resume and how my previous background and experience would relate to the job.

I met and/or spoke with approximately four people. Some of them asked pointed details, but almost none of them made me prove what I knew. I was applying for a job that required a specific experience --- this experience was not put to the test. There were behavioral questions and technical questions. The technical questions were more or less generic and could be answered by anyone with a general (not specific) familiarity with the topics at hand. If you knew the right buzz words, they assumed you knew what you were doing.

There are clearly some unqualified people in management, and its pretty obvious that some key decision makers should not be in the positions of power that they are.

Interview Question – What did your very first job in your field contribute to your overall learning of the subject?   View Answer

Reason for Declining – The impression made by management and HR was that there's no one serious running the company. You can usually spot the guys that are faking it --- they ask the standard google'd interview questions because they aren't resourceful or diligent enough to ask real questions that can help filter out bad candidates. If they aren't asking good questions, they probably didn't ask the last people good questions, so you might be working with a bunch of poorly filtered out rejects.

The offer was clearly under the salary range for this type of position in this area. I'm not sure why they would low-ball me --- they didn't spend enough effort to determine my real skills, so how would they know where I should fit in?

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for Smith Micro? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Smith Micro interview questions and advice. All 11 interview reviews posted anonymously by Smith Micro employees and interview candidates.